Sequel: Just for a Moment
Status: Complete, but being revised. Part Four is in progress ♥.

The Academy of the Elite

What the Night Reveals

I saw Lizzy leave the cafeteria and I decided to give her space. I sat at the table closest to the entrance and Naomi followed me, sitting across from where I sat. What was Lizzy crying about now? This school probably isn't the best place for her. She looks like she's really being torn to pieces, and we haven't even started classes yet. My heart tugged as I thought of her in that state, I really don’t want to her be miserable.

"So where's your sister?" Naomi asked.

"Uh, she couldn't make it, she doesn't feel well." I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Oh. That's too bad; I was looking forward to meeting her." She frowned a bit.

I should really talk to Lizzy. I'll go later, I know how Lizzy gets when she is like this. She hates to be pressured into talking, so I will just distract myself with Naomi. I folded my hands on the table, and started shaking my legs. I have to move or something.

"Let's go do something else." I sigh while getting up from the table.

I couldn't shake the thought of how sad Lizzy looked. I felt so bad, and I don't even know what for. I ignored the knots in my stomach and shifted some more. I want so badly to comfort her.

"Ooh, I've been dying to check out the art gallery," Naomi stated excitedly.

"Cool, let's go." I hook my arm to hers and we leave the cafeteria.

After we were done looking through the art gallery, I couldn’t help but be impressed with the talented students in this school. I marveled at landscape painting and abstract photographs. I couldn’t believe that all this beautiful stuff was all created by students. Naomi was excited about all that we saw, she couldn’t stop talking about it.

"Wasn't that great?! I love art galleries, they're so cool." She grabbed my hands excitedly and smiled. “I wish I could have skills like that.”

"Yeah, it was actually not what I expected." It really wasn't. I expected it to be boring, just endless walls of splattered abstract paintings that looked like something my little brother could do. Instead it was pretty cool; there was water art, miniature city sculptures, even modeling posts, so that the art majors could sketch you. “You have major cooking skills, so no need worry.”

She yawns. "I know right? Thanks for hanging out with me and enjoying my food.” She giggles, “Well, I'll see you tomorrow, I've been up since like seven, and I'm really tired. So, goodnight."

She hugs me and I say goodnight. I sit on the grass and watch her leave. I look up to the sky, and boy, was it beautiful. It was lit up by the stars and the quarter moon. I love when the moon was a quarter full; it always gave me goose bumps for some reason.

"Wow." I whisper to myself.

"I know, beautiful, right?" I'm startled by Jack's voice, and look up to see him planting himself beside me. "I'm guessing you didn't get much of a view from where you used to live," he says, gazing at the sky.

"Not really, at least not like this." I was able to see stars in my neighborhood, I mean; it wasn't like big city.

This is a totally different experience though. When you're out on a dimly lit campus; with no obnoxiously bright lights to hold back any of the galaxy's beauty.

"So what are you doing out here?" He asked, looking at me.

"Nothing just thinking about some stuff. My friend just left me to go back to her room, and I just wanted to chill out for a minute by myself."

"Oh, then I guess I should be leaving." He starts to get up dramatically, but I pull his arm and he sits back down.

"No, its ok, you can stay." I lay my head on his shoulder and he responds by laying his head on mine.

"Ally," He clears his throat, sounding serious now.

Yeah?" I take a deep breath of the night air.

"Do you have plans for tomorrow night?"

"No. Why?" I pluck a stand of grass and weave it through my fingers.

"I'm having a party around 9-ish, in my dorm. I'd like for you to come."

I move my head from his shoulder to look at him. "Sure, sounds fun. I didn't know dorm parties were allowed here."

"Well, you see, they aren't. So I'm going need you to be secretive about it, okay?" He chuckles nervously.

"No problem, kid." I punch his arm and stumble to my feet.

He helps himself to his feet then faces me. He pulls me in for a tight hug, and keeps me there for a few seconds before letting go.

"So you and Max...You guys aren't a thing anymore, right?"

"Nope. I'm totally free." I smile at the thought; I wasn't as upset about it as I thought I would be.

"Cool, see you tomorrow." He gives me a half smile before walking off. Then he turns around. "I should probably walk you to your dorm." He walks towards me and puts his arm around my shoulder. "You know, to make sure no one tries to do anything to you."

I laugh. "What would happen to me on this campus? It's too safe for any of that crazy stuff."

"Shhh, just let me walk you there." He walks me then waits for me to go into my room.

I take my key out of my bag and play with it in my hands.

"Goodnight." I look to him.

"Goodnight, Ally." He kisses my cheek then walks down the hall.

I smiled and touched my cheek. Wait, why am I smiling? Whatever, I should go check on Lizzy. I knock and wait for what seems like hours before she finally opens the door.

"Hey." She walks to her bed and plops herself down on it.

I walk in and close the door behind me.

"You okay?" I ask, sitting beside her.

I look at the TV and see that the infomercial channel was on. No one watches those! I look to her and she wore an expressionless look.

"Yeah I'm fine." She got up to mess around with the lamp shade.

She was tilting it to the left, tilting it to the right, and then putting it back to its original spot.

I chuckle and shake my head. "You're out if it."

"What do you mean?" She starts pacing, looking for something to do to occupy her free and shaking hands.

"I know something is up, I don't know what exactly it is, but I'm here to listen." I offer her some sympathy.

"No really, I'm fine. I'm just...Just anxious about the showcase, that's all." She turns to me and gives me a reassuring smile.

"Yeah. Sure." I walk up to her to give her a hug.

I knew that wasn’t it but if I knew anything it was to never push Lizzy. That would just equal her shutting down and never ever saying a word about this to me.

"I'm here for you, you know that right?" I feel her nod then let go.

"Goodnight, I'm tired. I'll see you for breakfast tomorrow."

She smiles and says okay, then I leave. I wonder how I will ever get my sister to be more open with me. In a few short steps I was across the hall in front of my own room. I open my door and walk in to see that my bed was a mess. I sigh and shut the door. No point in folding the quilts now, its bed time. I slip off my clothing and throw it into the hamper. I hop into a quick shower, and then put my pajamas on and jump onto the bed, slipping the covers over myself. My regular night routine is now less stressful since no one is banging on the bathroom door rushing me to get out. Just another perk of being a student at this school, maximum privacy with my own bathroom.

I check my phone before I sleep, and I see that I've gotten two text messages. I quickly made a mental note to give Naomi my number. The first text is from Vic, I knew right away it would be about Lizzy.

‘Hey, so I finally talked to your sister today, told her EVERYTHING. She didn't know how to respond.’

I respond:

‘Everything? Like meeting at the super market and crushing on her for months?’

My phone jingles a notification and I open it to read:

‘Yeah I told her all of that and stuff, even a few things you didn't know about. Anyway she was pretty surprised about the whole thing. I told her I would give her time to decide whether she wanted to be friends, or something more. Then I left...’

I fiddled with my phone and frowned, no wonder she was so upset. Lizzy hates surprises and feeling cornered. I am sure that is how she felt during the whole thing.

‘Well, I don't blame you for giving her time to think. I would've been freaked out if the guy I went to school with had a crush on me when I totally forgot that he existed. Lol. Well Vic, I'm going to sleep, I'll see you tomorrow. Good job by the way. :)’

‘Alright, goodnight Ally. And thanks, I hope she chooses to be with me. I mean I think I would be an awesome boyfriend ;)’

I smile to myself. It’s cute that Vic has such a big crush on Lizzy, and now, he finally got to tell her. I was just about to close my eyes when I remembered that I had another text waiting to be read. I open it to see that it's from Jack.

‘Hey, I hope that you sleep well and that you have some rocking dreams tonight. Lol. Can't wait for tomorrow, goodnight. :D’

Aww, rocking dreams? That's so cute. I wanted to text him back but I felt my eyelids getting heavier by the second. I decided to leave it at that and give way to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title by my sister ♥

Comment, subscribe, recommend and all that good stuff pretty please

-K_K