Sequel: Just for a Moment
Status: Complete, but being revised. Part Four is in progress ♥.

The Academy of the Elite

Ally's Sleepless Nights

Thanks to late night calls from Vic asking for someone to comfort him, I've gotten no sleep last night. I can't believe that it's May and Vic and Lizzy still aren't talking, it's ridiculous. Its not only effecting me but it's really affecting the group too. We don't even play football on Fridays anymore because either Vic doesn't want to show up or Lizzy tries to avoid him. So with the extra tension everyone usually just goes their own ways. It super stressful on all of our parts, because even though they don't say it; most of the group feels like they have to pick sides at times like these. This leaves the mutual ones, like me and Kellin, caught in between everyone who takes sides. Vic is trying to mend his friendship with Kellin back together, which is a plus side. To be honest though, he isn't really putting much of an effort.

"He did kiss Lizzy anyway, so I'm keeping my distance," to quote him.

Its just tiring, going between my sister and Vic, trying to comfort them in their times of distress. Though really, Lizzy seems to be oddly fine about the situation. I mean yeah, like I said she does avoid him and all, but she doesn't bring him up in conversation. She doesn't look sad or troubled when she hears his name like other dumpees usually react. In fact she just acts like she doesn't hear it. She just seems generally content. So why am I still stuck on a tight rope between the two, you ask? Well, I'm kind of worried. A week or two after their breakup, Lizzy went on an abrupt "leave" to go home and help nurse our sick mother back to health. When she came back a week later, she seemed to be completely over the breakup.

Now she somewhat keeps to herself, not wanting to express her feelings about the situation. She's completely thrown herself into her school work. Like seriously, she's even beat her way to the first spot of the top five in her major. I can't tell you how many nights I've had to drag myself across the hall to force her get some sleep, depriving myself of it. I feel bad for her. This must be some sort of new coping mechanism. I guess it's better than her being depressed and laying in bed all day. But still, I have to look out for her, just in case she has a sudden breakdown or something.

This whole situation is just weird compared to my relationship with Max. Ever since he told me that he loved me back in December, it's been smooth sailing, I've been so happy, blissfully so. I can't see anything breaking us apart. It’s the most awesome feeling. Maybe that's why I don't feel as upset as I should over Vic and Lizzy. I mean I hate it but really I am on cloud nine. Max is great, his smile, hair, the way he laughs. I sigh and smile into my pillow.

I lug myself out of bed and into the bathroom for my morning routine. I button up a collarless red blouse, then tuck it into a black high waist loose-fit pencil skirt. I slip on a pair of knee-high navy blue socks, and lace up a pair of white oxfords. Risky, I know, me being a klutz and all. After skipping over to my full body mirror and taking a couple of selfies, I decide to apply a little eyeliner then quickly style my hair into a loose side braid.

I grab my backpack by the strap, and then I'm out the door. Once I get outside, I'm instantly put into a good mood due to the warm atmosphere and slight breeze. It's beautiful out, I have a feeling today is going to be great. When I get to the cafeteria, I make my way over to Max's table. I spot his handsome little face laughing loudly, surrounded by his rowdy, obnoxious dance major friends. I approach him and tap his shoulder as a couple of them go crazy, having whistling fits. He stands up, a big smile on his face, and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Good morning baby," he whispers, then kisses me lightly. "You look beautiful." I giggle as he nuzzles my neck, and a curt snort escapes my mouth. I'm such a dork. He laughs at me along with the chorus of his friends. "Are you going to sit with me today?"

I look past his shoulder to survey the table. Ehh, not today.

"I think I'll pass," I say, scrunching up my nose. "Maybe we could sit together for dinner?" I ask, straightening his tie.

"Sure, no problem. Have a good day," he sends me off, pecking my cheek.

Gaahhh!! I strut over to my table and take my seat at the opposite end from where I used to sit. Since Lizzy and Vic broke up, she and I started sitting at the other end of the table, next to the windows. It's not that big of a deal if you ask me, I like that I can now look out the window and see people make a fool of themselves and not know that anyone's watching. Different strokes for different folks. Kellin sits next to Lizzy and squeezes her hand under the table. She smiles softly at him and I could tell they were both hiding something. I felt my eyelids drop, and I shook my head.

What I do to cope with my long nights is occupying myself with some useful hobbies: running on the track, drawing (though I'm no good at it), and sometimes I even like to go back on my math work and study. I find equations and quadratic functions fun, even calming. People are so surprised that I like math but really there are only so many things that'll entertain me through the un-lively time of day.

After a calm breakfast with the group, we separate into our majors and make our way to class. I walk behind with Gabe and Jesse hearing pieces of their conversations drifting behind them. I let my thoughts wander a bit. I am so freaking ecstatic about the Major show. I can't believe how close it is, only a month away!

When we get into class, we take our seats, mine still being next to Vic's. He's been really spacey lately, but when it gets to our practice time, he gets so into his composition, it's weird. I have a feeling that he's writing a song about Lizzy. I've known Vic long enough to know that this could only mean one of two things: either it's a sad song about how much he misses her. OR a song that talks about how much he now wants nothing to do with her and thinks that she's a complete jerk. I really hope it's option one. Through all of my mental babble, I realize that the class has broken up into groups again; my prime opportunity to talk to Vic about the song. I pull a chair up to sit beside him as he tunes his guitar. He looks up at me and gives me a small smile.

"Hey Ally, what's up?" Vic said while fiddling with the guitar.

"Oh nothing. Just wondering how you manage to have no bags under your eyes when you get the same amount of sleep that I do," I respond sarcastically.

"Yeah, sorry about that..." He says, looking down at his guitar.

"It's fine Vic. It's too far along the pattern to apologize now anyway," I retort. "What're you writing?"

He started scribbling notes in his notebook, too close to his chest for me to see.

"Just working on my new song, want to hear it?"

"Sure," I say enthusiastically.

I didn't even have to lift a finger to get him talking about the song. With a couple of test strums, he starts the song, which has a nice soft melody to it. At first it's starts off nice and slow, and I think it's a love song. Then he starts singing:

"I breathe you in with smoke in the backyard lights,
we used to laugh until we choked into the wasted nights.
It was the best time of my life, but now I sleep alone.
So don't, don't, don't wake me up, 'cause my thrill is gone."

That's as far as he goes before he gets a little choked up. He tries to hide it with a small chuckle and a smile, but I could tell that the words still hit deep, even after all of this time. You think five months would have healed the wound of this breakup, but I guess time doesn't heal all wounds.

"So what do you think?" He asks downheartedly.

"I like it," I nod, squinting my eyes.

So it's not a song bashing Lizzy after all, like I assumed it would be, but it still a sad song. Poor Vic, he's made a mistake. I wished he would just fix it, so I could see him like he used be. I missed happy carefree Vic.

"I'm almost done with it, I think I want to perform this as my second song for the major show," he says, fidgeting with his notebook.

He stares at it for a second before putting it away and practicing his other song.

"Really? Are you singing it to someone in particular?" I ask, playing with my nails.

"I'm sure you've figured out that the song is about Lizzy," he sighs while plucking a few strings.

"So...I don't get it." I shrug.

"What don't you get?" He gives me a slightly irritated look.

"Do you still like her or what?" I whisper harshly, moving my chair closer to his.

"I rather talk about this later," he looks around, "in private."

"Great, another sleepless night." I give him a small smile then drag my chair across the room to my group.

Mrs. Jones made a slight change to the project: instead of performing one original song, we have to do two. It's cool, I think that it gives us a chance to showcase more of our musical talents than if we were to perform just one song. We'd have to stick to one genre, one vibe. But this gives us an opportunity to expand our range. I move my seat between Jesse and Tony, putting my arms around their shoulders.

"How are my favorite guitarist?" I wink at Tony.

"Aww, you mean that?" Jesse asks with a cheery tone, still tuning his guitar.

"Of course she does, we've got the skills," Tony says to Jesse.

"Where's pretty boy?" I ask, realizing that Kellin wasn't sitting with us.

These past few months working with the guys has really drawn us closer. And I've got to admit, I've actually grown to tolerate Kellin's company. I mean, he's not as bad as I thought, but I'm not going to let him know that of course. Especially since him, Roxy and I are gunning to get Vic and Lizzy back together. Don't get me wrong, Kellin and I still get at each others necks from time to time, but at least I still don't cringe when he's around. Better for Lizzy, right? I mean it would be, if she ever hung out anymore.

"He went to get a guitar from the recording studio," Tony replied.

"Oh, so he's finally contributing something to the band other than his pre-pubescent voice?" I laugh at my own joke.

"No," Jesse scoffs, "I'm teaching him a few chords, but good one."

I smile to myself as Kellin walks in holding a beautiful faded red rogue acoustic guitar.

He takes a seat in front of us and rests it on his lap. "Alright, which song are we practicing first?"

"I was thinking we could do the second one, the cords are easier for you to learn," Jessie says.

"Hi to you too Kellin, jeez," I pipe up, crossing my arms.

"Oh sorry, didn't see you there," he sticks his tongue out at me and I roll my eyes. Jerk.

Today was such a long day, I don't understand how I'm still standing; I'm exhausted. I take a slow stroll from my last class to Menu's ready to eat and knock out. Oh that's right, I can't. Vic wants to "talk". More like the two of us sitting around in his room for hours with the TV on in the background and me trying to pry all the feelings I can out of him before he falls asleep on me. What a selfish jerk. But I love him, so I deal with it. I guess what's really keeping me up is that I'm going to sit with Max for dinner. I know if I said that to the friends they'd respond with, "oh, that's so corny", "you're cheesy Ally", or "you're such a big mush-ball". There's nothing wrong with that, he makes me happy.

I sit at our usual spot: the two seater table at the corner window of the entrance. I wait patiently, trying to mentally pull any excess energy I have so that I won't crash in the middle of a conversation. I wave the waiter over and order our food, scoping out the cafeteria for Naomi. She's so infatuated with Reggie these days that the only time we spend together is on Sunday, and if I'm fortunate enough to steal her attention away for at least an hour, on Saturday afternoons. Besides that, I only see her a peep at a time around the campus when we go from class to class. I was so spaced out by my mental rant that I almost didn't notice Max walk in. A big smile forms on his face as he approaches the table and sits down.

"Hi," I flash a toothy smile.

"Hey," he says, loosening his tie. "How was your day?"

"Ugh, I don't even remember half of it," I groan, exaggerating a bit.

"Wow, sound like a great day," he jokes with a lopsided smile.

"What about yours?" I throw a napkin at him.

"Well, it definitely wasn't as exciting as yours," he winks, "but it was pretty good. I just found out today that I moved up a spot on the top five, now I'm fourth."

I silently applaud and stand to give him a hug. "Congrats, that's great!"

"Thanks," he says with a big grin.

The rest of dinner was definitely a breeze. I talked to Max about my troubles between Lizzy and Vic. I told him about how excited I was about the show. Then gushed about how awesome it would be to spend so much time together during summer break. Just sitting there and talking to him made me feel a little better about how things are. We also talked about him, of course. We laughed about his friend's stupidity in dance class, even about his friends back home. So after we were finished there, he walked me to my room, we kissed, then we said goodnight and he left. So now I'm in my room, waiting for "the call" from Vic. I guess I could check up on Lizzy at the mean time.

I lug myself across the hall and twist her knob, letting myself in. She already knew by this time to leave her door unlocked for me. Either that or someone just left without locking the door. I close the door behind me and wiggle myself next to her and get under the covers.

"Hey," she said, absently staring at the wall.

"What's up?" I ask, stroking her hair. Is she having a relapse? I mean, she was usually occupied when I come in, either watching a movie, rehearsing a skit, or writing poetry.

"Mm, nothing, just having an off day is all." She turns to face me, putting space between us. "Do you think...?” She starts to trail off.

"Do I think what?" I try to keep the eagerness out of my voice.

"Do you think, that maybe, I should dye my hair?" She looks past me with a thoughtful expression on her face.

I thought that she was going to ask if Vic missed her or something; I guess not. But dying her hair? I really like her hair color, especially with those natural highlights, you don't find them everywhere. That seems a little extreme for Lizzy. She was never the type to put anything too chemically harsh in her hair, not even gel. But I guess it's her new way of moving on from things.

"Um, sure. What color?" I bite my lip.

"I was thinking about an auburn, Roxy said she'd do it for me," she says, pulling her hair over her face.

I laugh lightly and sit up. "Sure, whatever floats your boat."

As if on cue, my phone vibrates from my pocket and I know it's my time to go. Don't get me wrong, if bad gets to worse, I favor my sister. But tonight I need to get some real information out of Vic. I stand up, give her a peck on the cheek, then I'm out the door. I take my usual route to the boy's side of the dorm building and approach Vic's door. Good thing it's kind of close to my room. Otherwise, I wouldn't be visiting him as much. I knock as I run my fingers through my hair, pushing it out of my face.

"It's open," I hear his muffled voice say.

I come in and plant myself in his desk chair. By this time, I already made the area comfortable enough for myself. One night, I brought a throw pillow and a small blanket and left it here because I swore that I was going to pass out. I'm such an awesome friend. He was on his bed tuning his personal guitar, sitting with legs up.

"Alright, let's cut to the chase, what's going on between you and Tally?" I prop my legs on his desk and cross my arms.

"What do you mean? And I thought I invited you here so I could talk to you." He sets his guitar down in its case beside him.

"You know exactly what I mean. I'm not blind, Vic. I see you guys hanging out on weekends, and ditching us on Fridays? Not cool. We haven't played flag football in so long,and you know how much I like my flag football. " I throw myself dramatically against the back of my chair.

"Yeah I know, I'm sorry." He mumbled, shutting down before my eyes.

We stay in silence for a couple of minutes before I have to start up the conversation again. As always.

"Well? I am waiting for your excuse." I pry.

"What can I say? I don't know...I guess we just kind of bonded from our breakups. I guess it works since her ex and my ex are best friends." He shrugs.

"Do you hear yourself right now?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah," he gives me a confused look.

"Are you dating her?" I blurt out. I'm getting impatient with his flawed logic.

"What? No! I don't like her. I told you, we're just friends. It's not my fault that me and Lizzy aren't together. Kellin couldn't keep his hands to himself." I could hear the bitterness in his voice.

"Are you kidding me?" I stand from my seat. "Lizzy was just trying to help Kellin improve his relationship, but Tally got jealous and broke it off. Then Lizzy tried to comfort him through the break up because you weren't there for him. Don't you get it? You practically drove Lizzy into his arms. But instead of being glad that she still chose you over Kellin, you decided to let her go." I walk closer to him, place a hand on my hip and point my finger in his face. "You were too jealous to see the effort she put into your relationship to make it last. She loved you Vic." I shake my head and grab my pillow and blanket from his desk. "And now, you want me to pity you and comfort you when you're not feeling so great, when really, you're not the one who needs the comforting." I hug him, then walk over to the door. "Look Vic, I love you and all, but I don't know for how long you expect me to run over here to spend hours trying to get you to fix your mistakes. I'm done. Finite. Finished. Handle it on your own and let me know when you figure everything out."

I leave without letting him give me a response. The nerve of that guy, huh? I sprint over to my room, excited of the thought of sleep. I open my door and throw the blanket and pillow onto the floor in front of my closet. I feel bad for yelling at Vic, but he kind of deserved it at the same time. What's the point of me trying to help him when he doesn't want it? Honestly, I feel relieved. After changing into my pajamas I flop onto my bed, too tired to care about covering myself. I roll over and grab my phone from my night table to change the mode to silent when I see that I've gotten a text from Max.

‘Hey babe, idk if you're still with Vic atm or if you've somehow found a way out of his drama and you're asleep...I just wanted to know how you were doing. I really saw the stress in you today. Well I hope you get some sleep, have sweet dreams. Goodnight, I love you. :)’

Awwww! He's so sweet! What a great mood to put me in before I knock out. I place my phone back onto the night table and drift into heavy sleep with a smile on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, sorry for the wait!! Hope you like the chapter. Remember: show us some love. :)
-K_K