Sequel: Just for a Moment
Status: Complete, but being revised. Part Four is in progress ♥.

The Academy of the Elite

A Taste of Campus Life

I am so excited today will be our first day living on campus, in separate rooms too! I know that this is a huge change for Ally, my family, and I. We would all experience our different fears. I, for one, am thrill that for once in my whole life I'll have my own space. No need to share at a school like this. When the car pulls up, the time to say goodbye had come. I climb out of the car with my duffle bag. My parents get out with my baby brother and we all just stare at each other for a while.

Then our parents are hugging us and saying tearful good-byes, reminding us to visit when we could and to eat right. I hold on to them extra tight, I am aware of how much I'm going to miss them. I wave bye to my brother and promised to call him as much as I could. I pull him into my arms and tell him that he was the number one little man in my life. I kiss them all on the cheek, say I love you. I watch as they climb back into the car and drive away, leaving me and Ally. My heart clenches a bit with the bittersweet conflicting emotions I feel.

The butterflies in my stomach take full flight when I saw the car fade into the distance. Ally grabs my hand and smiled at me, a reassuring smile, a reminder of why we made all this effort. We will be helping out our family with the finances. We will be making our dreams come true. We turn to face the entrance, we see Zac, Vic, and who I assume is Kellin, standing there. Before I could say a word, Zac smiles at me, and I forget how to speak.

“Hey Partner,” Zac walks toward me and picks up my bags. “Allow me to show you to your room. Don’t worry; we got the headmaster’s permission.”

He must have read my worried expression so, he follows up with that reassurance. I smile at him as embarrassment fills me up when the memory of the kiss we shared two days ago pop into my head. I remember I told Ally about it while we packed yesterday, I knew I should have kept that to myself.

When I look at Ally she is practically drooling when she sees Zac; she doesn't even notice Vic as he picks up her stuff. She is way too busy staring at Zac, and he pretends to take no note of this fact. Which only seems to encourage her to stare even more openly, if that was even possible. I elbow her in the ribs, and she gave me a dirty look, followed by a wide grin.

I watch the boys walk together. I could tell Zac was not too close with Kellin (?) or Vic, but that those two were peas in a pod, laughing together. Zac trails slightly behind, speaking every now and again. Maybe it was a major thing? My sister tugs my arm so we could fall behind a bit; I know she wants to talk to me. She just wants+ to be certain that they weren't in the hearing range.

“You kissed him?!?” She hisses. “He is so, so freaking hot. I mean he is just…” She trails off staring at him.

“Shh,” I glare at her, “we were acting, so it’s not a big deal.”

“Oh yes it is!” She raises her eyebrow at me. “You kissed the hottest guy I have ever seen in my life! Don’t try to tell me it’s not a big deal.”

“Anyway,” I said diverting her away from the topic, “what about that Kellin guy? Is that him?” I point at the guy next to Vic.

“Yes, that is the jerk.” He must hear her because he turns around and winks.

‘Why is everyone always winking here?’ I think. And how is it that when they do it, it manages to look cool. I am sure if I were to wink I would look like a dork, or a creep, or lamer than usual.

“Ew, did you see that? That loser winked at you.” She sucks her teeth.

I shrug, “I think he is pretty cute.”

I instantly regret that statement the moment it slips from my lips. She glares at me and rushes ahead, pushing past the boys and headed who knows where. When I attempted to follow her, Zac pulls me back by my arm, towards him and the boys.

“Don’t worry, she will find us when she is ready.” Zac smile, his hand resting on my arm.

“Does she always throw fits like that?” Kellin watches her with interest until she disappeared.

I suddenly clam up aware that I am alone with three guys. I could hear my brother’s taunts in my head. ‘Ugly’, ‘Stupid’, ‘Awkward’, each word weighing down my tongue. My urge to somehow explain Ally’s action conquered, I didn't want them to think badly of her. So I force myself to push past my fears for the moment and speak.

“No, Ally just is. . . I don’t how to explain it. We have five brothers, its hard living with all that testosterone. It made Ally hard-shelled and me, well insecure, I guess.” I stare at my feet, my face burning from the attention and thoughts I have revealed.

Vic steps in to cheer me up.

“Look who is being chatty! Not so shy anymore huh? And you just got here; I can’t wait to see what else you have to say.” Vic smiles. “By the way, you have no reason to be insecure.” He said so only I could hear.

I was so very grateful to him in that moment. I felt okay, at least right then. Once Vic lets go, Zac pulls me close to him by gently tugging my hand.

“Shy, my Kathy? No way.” I'm back to blushing. “Hey once we get to your room I say we drop your stuff off and we hit the studio. I want to hear you sing.”

“W-why?” I stammered.

“Well,” Zac said, “I am just curious to know what you sound like. Besides, it’s one of those things the four of us have in common.”

The guys nod in agreement and rush forward to drop off our things. I see my room only briefly but that was all I needed. A four-poster bed sat in the center, with a bookcase, a vanity, a closet and my own bathroom. I'm in awe of the simple yet elegant layout of it all. Before I could take in any more of my new home, they rush me out again so we could go to the studio. By the time they finally got me to agree to sing we were at the studio’s glass doors. I only agreed with the terms that they would all sing before I did. They happily agreed while leading me to the room furthest from the entrance. I suddenly became more aware that I was the only girl. I tried my best to ignore this fact; to relax and have fun. Like I promised myself that I would. So I thought up a character, a sort of a tomboy. I took a deep breath and allowed her to take over.

“I will go first!” Kellin grabs a guitar that's in the corner before we even settle into the room.

“No, I've heard you sing,” Zac says, “it’s amazing. Let me.”

He takes the guitar, begins to play and sing John Meyer’s Daughters. Zac’s voice is pretty; I am surprised by how nice it is. Most actors can sing good enough to get by but he is level above that. I am sure if he wants to, he could go far in Broadway.

“So, what did you think?” He asks, his eyes searching me for an answer.

“I really liked it. I have to admit I'm surprised at how well you could sing.”

We stare at each until Vic knocks over a chair. I blush pulling away my gaze, Vic smiles at me. He pulls the guitar from Zac’s hands and props it on his lap.

“My turn, I wrote this song, don’t have a name for it, so if you think of anything let me know." He began to play.

“I don't care if your beautiful lips
Exist out there 'cause I'm wonderless
Why the best can't make it in Hollywood
No more . . .”

I am blown away; I had no idea that such a beautiful voice was going to come from him. I know I am gawking at him, in awe of the lyrics, the way he plays, and how he sings. He never broke eye contact while signing, usually I would look away but I couldn't. I feel compelled to stare. I'm trying to figure out how many more times this guy will surprise me before I'm done at this school. He finishes and Kellin quickly snatches the guitar from Vic’s hands, eager for his turn.

“Finally! I am just going to sing Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.” He rushes through the title.

My jaw hit the floor when he starts. I immediately regret letting him sing before me. His voice was so incredible that I close my eyes and let it sink into me. I feel as if his voice is connecting us in some strange way. It's like he's speaking directly to me, a quality not many artists possess. I mouth the words to one of my favorite songs, swaying slightly to the guitar. As he sings the last words, I open my eyes and look into his. He looks so sincere and sweet; I have no idea why Ally despises him so much.

“That was so incredible. I don’t want to sing anymore, not after hearing you guys. I am barely any good.”

Surprisingly, Kellin is the one to speak up.

“I am sure you sing fine.” He smirks. “Now you have to sing, you agreed to!”

“Fine, but don’t look at me!” They all turn away and I sing through Apology by Alesana.

I am pretty sure no one expected me to listen to a band like Alesana, let alone sing their songs. I wonder if Zac even knows who Alesana is. Who knows right? I do my best to sing well but fast.. When I finish I close my eyes tight. I can't bear seeing their reactions.

“Sweet song choice, I love the lyrics. Your voice is very beautiful. ” Zac comments.

“That was so awesome!” Vic exclaims.

“Good Job.” Kellin follows smoothly.

I smile, opening my eyes, eager to change the subject. “So what are we going to do next guys?”

“Well I have band practice so I have to go.” Kellin stretches out his fist, I meet it with mine. “See you around Liz.”

Kellin punches Vic in the arm then walks out of the room.

“I should find Ally,” I say

“I will go with you.” Both Zac and Vic chime at the same time.

“No need to send a search party, I am right here.” Ally walks in, school uniform dirty. “Someone told me they saw you guys come in here.”

I don’t bother asking why she is a mess; I know she will tell me what happened later. She spots Vic and hugs him like they are the very best of friends.

“Come on Lizzy we have to meet the headmaster at 1:30, it's 11:30 now. I know how you hate to be late, so that's enough time for me to see your room and for us to eat. My room is right across the hall from your's by the way. So I will meet you there in like 15, 20 minutes. Come on Vic,” she pulls him up, “walk with me.”

I know what Ally is doing but before anyone could protest she was dragging Vic down the hallway. Zac is next to me laughing at the sight. I laugh right along with him, Real smooth Ally. Zac grabs my arm and yanks me out of the room. He starts to speed us down the hallway.

“I want to show you something.”

“But what about Ally?” I look behind me as he pulls me to the opposite exit.

“They can wait.”

I had no idea where he was taking me. As we pass the mall, the spa, and the arcade, the main building becomes smaller and smaller. I start to get nervous as he continues taking us deep into the woods. That's when I spot a clearing up ahead with a small wooden stage in it. It was so beautiful, wildflowers all around. I can tell that many people don't come here because of the lack of trampled grass, and scuff marks on the stage.

“This is beautiful,” I tell Zac walking away from him and onto the stage. “How did you find this place?”

“Well, I wanted somewhere to rehearse in private so after finding the clearing I asked JT if I could build a stage here and he said yes. This place is otherwise forbidden but he lets me come here for peace. I just thought maybe you would like it too, since you are so shy and all.”

I feel a smile tug up at my lips, “I love this. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.”

He smiles and picks me up by my waist off the stage. I can feel the warmth of his skin on my sides and my heart picked up the pace. He places me down in front of him and smiles.

“Come on,” he whisper, “I think the others have waited long enough.”

This time I grab his hand and ran us back to campus. I, Elizabeth, grabbed a boy’s hand, not just any boy, someone who was practically a stranger. I laugh as we run because of how silly I feel. I take my hand out of his when the arcade came into view. We walk quickly side by side until we halt in front of my room where Vic and Ally chat.

“See you later Liza.” Zac said, brushing some hair out of my face then walking off before Vic or Ally spot us.

“See you."

“Finally,” Ally shouts, “would you hurry up?”

Vic waves bye to her.

“I hope we can hang out tomorrow.” He says as something flickers in his eyes before he wanders off.

“Hey Vic,” I shout, he turns around. “Tomorrow at the arcade, I bet I kick your butt at DDR.”

'The bold streak continues.' I laugh to myself.

He grins, “You are on. See you at dinner.”

Ally rushes me into my room, closes the door, and plops on my bed.

“I am going to miss sharing a room with you.” She says.

“Me too, now get out so I can get ready for this meeting.” Before I closed the door, I say. “Let’s eat at the café for lunch.”

“Okay.” She smirked.

Then I throw myself on my bed. Oh, how quickly things can change. I woke up at home on a mattress with Ally, and tonight I will sleep on my pillow top mattress in my own room. All of this was just the beginning.
♠ ♠ ♠
- Hana ♥