Status: Writing

What it Takes

Chapter One

Three years, she thought to herself as she shut the trailer door, pushing the latch shut and shaking the door to shake the paranoia that the latch wouldn’t hold for the trip.
Her boots crunched over the loose gravel to the driver’s side of her truck and she climbed gracefully into the seat, shutting the door and turning the ignition simultaneously. She tugged her seatbelt on and rested her hand on the clutch, closing her eyes as a wave of sudden emotions washed over her. Three years. It had been three years since she and Taz had left the boarding stable that had practically raised her, three years since she panicked and dumped her boyfriend and fled the stables without so much as a goodbye to anyone, offering no explanation to her departure. Now, she was going back. She shifted her truck into drive and eased her foot onto the gas, slowly pulling out of the driveway and heading out onto the road.
It was nearly midnight when she pulled into the barn parking lot. She located her spot easily, pulling in. There was a sewage pipe and a water hookup, along with a place to plug her trailer in for electric. Her eyes felt like they had been weighed down with sand, and all she wanted to do was sleep. But she felt Taz lurching in the trailer, and she pulled herself into motion.
She opened the door to the trailer and Taz turned his head to study her, nickering softly as she stepped into the trailer, moving aside the divider and untying his lead, allowing him to follow her from the trailer. She took the moment as they walked into the barn to study him in the moonlight. His large frame moved gracefully, his eyes darting around and taking in everything. He was a dark bay, almost black in the darkness, and his whitish mane glowed in the darkness. She opened the side barn door and flicked on the switch, feeling a flood of familiarity as the lights flickered into action. She could almost see the people going through the motions in the deserted barn. She led Taz through to his stall and let him in, unhooking his halter and hooking it to the door. She looked around momentarily, then shut off the light, walking down the aisle and back out into the night. She sighed, knowing her work wasn’t even close to done just because Taz was secure. She swung back into her truck and turned it on, the got out and unhooked her trailer and moved her truck forward a few inches, then got back out and everything hooked up. She leaned back, satisfied for the night before she headed into the living quarters on her trailer. Once inside, she chucked her clothes off and into the basket on one side of the bed. She moved over to the other side of the bed and stopped and scrutinized herself in the mirror. Her once short blonde hair had grown back out, reaching past her shoulders and curling over her breasts. She skin was tan on the top, showing tank top tan lines and she frowned when she saw her pale legs. She pulled on a loose t-shirt and crawled into bed, falling asleep immediately, only to be plagued by dreams of the past.

“I swear to god, I only got about twenty minutes of sleep last night.” She muttered into her mug of coffee.
“Now Haley, you can’t expect to sleep well in a new place right away.” The older woman chided from her doorway. “You got set up alright last night though?”
“Yes Diane.” She turned and smiled at her. “Your motherly instincts are still intact I see.” Haley smiled and set down her coffee.
“Damn straight they are honey.” She smiled faded then as she studied Haley.
“Spill it, whatever you want to say. I know by that look that you have something to say to me.” Haley sighed. “I’ve been gone, but I still know that look.”
“You know Luke is still here, right?” Diane said slowly, looking out into the pasture that sat next to Haley’s trailer. Haley let out a long sigh and sat down at her table, slipping on her boots, then standing up and tying her hair up into a messy ponytail.
“I am fully aware of that, and I’m going to stay away from him for as long as possible.” Haley replied. “Don’t you have work to do, like I do?” She asked. Diane smiled and clapped her on the back as they both headed towards the barn.
“Welcome back, sweetheart.” Diane told her, hugging her to her side briefly before letting her go and wandering into the office to work on filing new bills and paper.
Haley shook out her worn baseball hat that she had stuffed into her back pocket and tugged it over her head, feeding her ponytail through. She walked through the barn, looking at everything that was around her. Finally, she headed out into the pasture, letting out a long and low pitched whistle. Taz’s head flew up and he let out a low whicker and started towards her, ears pinned at the other horses that tried to nip at him.
“C’mon.” She said, giving his mane a tug and allowing him to follow her through the barn and back out to the trailer. She brushed him down, checking her watch briefly to see what time it was. The one thing she remembered—and hoped wasn’t true still—was the fact that people began piling in around ten. It was now eight, and she had a lot of work to do with Taz before she got to work.
She all but threw the saddle on him and bridled him before swinging into the saddle and allowing him to trot down to the outdoor arena. The heat had settled already, and the sun was shining bright down on them. Dust swirled around Taz’s feet as he extended his trot and mouthed on his bit, eager to start working.
They worked through their paces, halting and spinning as they worked. She heard the clang of a gate as she put Taz into circling a barrel. She looked up to see two riders coming in, western saddles on their horse. She gave them a small smile, which they ignored as they forced their horses heads down, making them walk slowly around while they gossiped. Haley shook her head and got Taz to lope, running down to the gate, then lurching around and darting around the barrel. The girls looked up, a look of disdain of their faces. Haley shrugged and continued to work him, ignoring the girls looks and hushed whispers.
Finally, Haley stopped Taz and patted him on the neck. During the hour and a half that had passed, four more people had come in, all forcing horses heads down and going as slow as possible. She turned Taz around and out of the gate and back to her trailer, swinging down at easing his saddle off along with the bridle. He was steaming, and sweat poured from his flanks.
“C’mon love.” She murmured, leading him back through the now busy barn. She let him outside into the pasture, where he immediately dropped, rolling in the dry dirt. She watched him, leaning against the door frame from a moment before pushing off and walking to the office, hoping to catch Diane before she left. As she turned, she saw the two girls that had first come into the arena standing in the aisle, looking at her and talking in low whispers. She walked by them, hearing the quick snatches of her name and Luke’s. She rolled her eyes and stalked by them, jerking the lounge door open and throwing herself into the office chair. Diane didn’t even glance up from the paperwork she was reading.
“Met some of the boarders huh.” She said, glancing up at her. Haley didn’t respond for a moment, looking at the papers that were scattered around the room.
“What happened to this place? Where did all the nice people go, and when did the gossiping start? I’ve barely been here a day and people are already whispering about me.” Haley finally said, rifting through the papers.
“Well, the barn has changed, and so have the people.” Diane sighed, leaning back. “People don’t want to do any work anymore. They want to sit around and then get on a ride the horse and win. There’s no more wanting to train their own horse.” She looked at Haley. “And no more gaming.”
“Jesus.” Haley muttered, then got up. “My classes start soon, so I should probably get moving.” Diane waved her goodbye and Haley walked back out and over to the indoor arena.
*******
Luke stepped into the darkened arena, feeling the eyes of the younger riders dancing over him with envy. Even now, he despised it. They were not tough enough, too spoiled. None of them were willing to work on anything that involved getting dirty or sweaty. He looked up, seeing riders in the indoor arena and frowned. The new trainer must be here, and working. Diane hadn’t told him who he or she was, where they were from, only when they were started. He walked through, ignoring the calls of a few girls, calling his name and then giggling like hyenas, all high pitched and squeals. He rolled his eyes and stopped when he reached the arena. He leaned against the door, crossing his arms.
The trainer stood in the middle of the arena, her back to him. She was lean, and curvy. She had hips that tucked in at the waist, then widened at her breasts. Her hair was either short, or up. She wore faded jeans that were probably on their last legs. He grinned, realizing he was attracted to her.
One of the horses in the lesson pushed past him at a faster trot, the girl on its back frowning. Luke immediately recognized her as one of the girls who would rather have the trainer do all the work, and hated working on things that didn’t belong in the show ring.
“I don’t get why we’re extending his trot! I want him to go slow!” The girl snapped at the very second the thought left his mind.
“You want to go slow all the time? Not be able to stretch out? Plus, your seat needs work. You’re way too stiff.” The trainer replied and Luke felt his heart stop. He knew that voice, he knew it anywhere. It was the voice that he listened for for three years. He looked at the trainer again, who was now facing the door, and his heart thudded in his throat.
Not waiting a second longer, he spun around and stalked back towards the office. He all but flung the office door open and Diane looked up, holding up a finger and pointed at the phone, then at the door. Luke swung the door shut and leaned against it, heart still pounding.
She was back, after three years and she was back. He swallowed, feeling regret and anger swelling inside him. He closed his eyes and her face flashed before his face and he opened his eyes as Diane pulled the door open and he all but fell in.
“You wanted something?” Diane asked. Luke opened his mouth and then shut it, choosing instead to look around the office. “Luke, I’m behind on everything right now, so you need to spill whatever you have to say or get out.”
“When did she come back and why.” He finally managed, unclogging the words from his throat.
“She got here last night, and she’s our new trainer. I just hired her for the winter season, before she leaves again.”
“Why?”
“Because we need someone to teach these kids what riding really is. That’s why Bianca got fired, she was too easy on them, doing everything for them.”
“Why her?”
“Luke. You are not kids anymore; you need to develop a working relationship with her at least. I know she hurt you, and you hurt her, but its been three years.” She stood up then, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Now go, you have horses to train.” She ordered, pushing him out of the room and shutting the door behind him. He walked back up to the arena, where the girls were all dismounting and Haley was standing in the middle, arms still crossed.
“Next week we’ll run some patterns.” She said as the girls filed out. She looked up then, meeting his gaze and she seemed to falter for a second. “Bring more suitable clothes, and riding boots.” She added, then gave him a curt nod and turned on her heel, walking outside.
“Luke!” A voice squealed from behind him. He turned as one of the older girls sauntered over to him. She was wearing a button up western themed shirt, but she had undone a bunch of buttons to reveal her breasts, and tied the shirt up to show off her slim waist. “Is that Haley?” She asked, posing in front of him. “I heard she was back, I couldn’t believe she had the nerve to come back here after what she did.”
“This isn’t a place that outlaws people.” Luke responded, and her face fell. “Josie, don’t go around telling people nasty things either. Rumors are like wildfire around here.
“Ah, so you’re Josie.” Luke flinched when he heard Haley’s voice and he glanced over. She stood in a familiar position. One foot was slightly up, resting her boot heel on her other boots, her arms crossed over her chest. Her pale green eyes were shaded by a baseball hat, and her mouth was twisted into a grin.
“Yeah, I am.” Josie said, shifting, putting her hands on her hips.
“Great, I hope your horse is ready. You’re already five minutes late.”
“Normally Bianca saddles my horse.” Josie interjected.
“Well I’m not Bianca. You have five minutes, and then I want to see you in that arena.” She turned around, then stopped, turning around again. “Nice to see you again Luke.” She said, and then walked back into the arena, where two girls were already warming up.
“What a bitch.” Josie muttered under her breath.
“Go saddle your horse before you’re even later.” Luke replied, heading through the arena to get his first horse of the day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lets see how this goes...