Status: experimentational

Love Like This

She Wears a New Dress Everyday

“So you’re really going on a date with Josh?” Jess asked almost in disbelief as we walked into yet another boutique filled with dresses.

“Yes.” I answered as I looked through all of the blue dresses before moving onto the green ones. A light green one with light pink detailing caught my eye and I pulled it off the rack, “How about this one?”

“You’re going to look amazing in that.” Jess gushed as I spun around and laughed, “It will drive Josh crazy.”

“You think?” I bit my lip and held back a giggle, “I’m actually pretty excited about tonight.”

“Just… be careful.” Jess said suddenly. I looked at her curiously as I paid for the dress and we left the store, “Josh… he’s a great friend, but he hasn’t always been the best boyfriend.”

“I’m only going on a date with the boy, we're not getting married or anything. Calm down Jess.” I laughed, “Thanks for the concern though.”

“You’re like a sister to me, Sierra.” Jess smiled, “And Josh is like a brother, of course I have to worry.”

“Where are you going in such a hurry?” Brian asked as Jess and I walked through the door a little while later and we rushed to my room. I knew that the moment Brian found out he was going to go crazy.

“Sierra has a date!” Jess called to him. I glared at her and she just grinned mischievously at my discomfort.

“WITH WHO?” Brian screamed and followed us into my bedroom. He refused to leave even as I changed and kept demanding to know who it was with, “Who could you possibly be going on a date with?”

“Calm down Brian.” I laughed, “I’m a big girl you don’t need to play the protective older brother anymore.”

“I most certainly do!” Brian protested, “Sierra you better tell me who it is right now!”

“It’s Josh!” Jess finally said in frustration, “Damn it Brian you’re annoying.”

Our Josh?” Brian looked confused, “Josh Montgomery?”

“Yes!” Jess and I both said exasperatedly. Brian was getting on both of our nerves and it was starting to take a toll.

“That was definitely not who I expected.” He said to himself, “I’ve got to go make a call.”

“That was weird.” I muttered to Jess who was avoiding eye contact at all costs, trying to look interested in my shoes in my closet. “But then again, Brian is always weird.”

“So true.” Jess laughed as she finally looked up at me. A few minutes later the doorbell rang and I hurried to answered it to see John standing there awkwardly. He stared at me for a moment before he grunted and cleared his throat.

“Aren’t you going to let me inside?” John asked as he raised a brow at me. I stepped to the side and he walked inside, “You’re all dressed up.” He noted. It wasn’t a compliment, but it wasn’t an insult so I allowed it. It was weird not hearing an insult coming from his mouth though. It was sort of... refreshing.

“Yeah, I have a date tonight.” I said and he nodded his head awkwardly. I could tell he was just as uncomfortable with this being civil thing as I was, “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Brian called Stephen who told me to come over to work on the new song with him.” John shrugged, “So I guess that’s what we are doing.”

“Oh okay, that’s cool.” I said as I walked him into the living room, “Jess is here too, so I guess you’ll all be working on it later.”

“No I’m not!” Jess shouted as she grabbed her keys and rushed out the door, “Have fun tonight!” She called back as the front door slammed shut.

“That was weird.” John laughed.

“Really weird.” I agreed as the doorbell rang again. I walked over and opened it to see Josh standing there watching Jess speed down the street in her car, obviously in a hurry.

“What’s her rush?” Josh asked as he stepped through the doorway, “Oh… hey John.”

“Hey Josh.” John greeted him back. It was tense which was strange and I knew I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, “I take it you’re not here to work on the new song?”

“You’d be right.” Josh laughed nervously, “Ready to go Sierra?” He grinned down at me and reached for my hand which I readily grabbed and intertwined our fingers.

“Sure thing.” I giggled, “Uh… bye John.”

“Yeah… bye you two.” John muttered as he wandered into the house in search of Brian.

---


“Deseo?” I read the name of the restaurant out loud as we walked up to the doors. This was probably one of the most expensive restaurants around; many people went here for prom from what I remembered about high school.

“Yeah, I love this place and I never get to go here.” Josh noted as he held the door open and I walked through. Almost immediately we were seated at a secluded table in the back and the waitress gave Josh a knowing grin as she handed us menus.

“Oh, you don’t take all your prospective dates here?” I grinned as Josh laughed.

“Damn you caught me.” He admitted, “I hope you enjoy it anyway.”

“I will, don’t you worry.” I assured him as I reached for his hand across the table, “Especially since I'm going to order the most expensive thing on the menu."

"My wallet may have to disagree with you there, Si." Josh laughed.

We enjoyed a fantastic meal together and everything was going absolutely perfect until dessert. “And then I hit Brian in the head with a microphone, it was a complete disaster!” Josh finished telling his story in a fit of laughter. I had to admit, he was a wild one. I certainly wasn’t expecting that ending as I joined him in laughter.

“Hey…” I said as I looked over at a couple who had been intently staring at the menus since about the time we got to the restaurant two hours ago, “Does that look like Jess to you?”

Josh turned around and looked at her and the guy she was with before he turned back around, “That’s her alright, and with her is Stephen.”

“Fantastic.” I groaned, “No wonder Jess was acting so weird earlier.”

“What should we do?” Josh leaned in close and whispered quietly. I grinned at him and waved over the waitress who quickly walked over.

“Um, yes it’s that gentleman’s birthday and I was wondering if you could sing to him or something like they do in other restaurants?” I smiled even wider when she nodded her head yes, “and we need the check right now.”

“Forget the check, keep the change.” Josh said as he threw a large pile of money on the table, “bring them a nice slice of cake while you’re at it too.”

We waited a few moments until all of the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant surrounded Jess and Stephen to make our escape. Once we were finally outside we nearly fell to the ground with laughter.

“That was genius.” Josh laughed as he opened the car door for me.

“It always seems to work in the movies, so I thought I’d give it a try.” I shrugged.

“I like the way you think.” Josh winked. We drove home in content silence, both lost in our own thoughts. The only sound was the hum of the engine and the soft sounds of music coming out of the radio. We pulled into my driveway and Josh got out of the car and opened my car door helping me out like a true gentleman. We walked up to the front door hand in hand and Josh turned and looked at me.

“I had a lot of fun tonight.” He grinned. I felt my heart rate increase because I knew what was coming.

“So did I.” My breath got caught in my throat as he pushed hair out of my face.

“I like you, Sierra.” He muttered before his lips pressed against mine. We stood there for a few moments before I finally realized I needed to do something with my lips. Unfortunately, the kiss was short lived because John opened the door and just stared at us.

“Hi John.” Josh chuckled as he pulled away and brushed his hand through his hair, “What’s up dude?”

“Just watching you two make out on the porch I guess.” He said dryly as he just stared at me, “I’ve got to get going.” He pushed past us and began to walk towards his bike that I just noticed.

“Hold up, I’ll give you a ride home.” Josh said as he let go of my hands to pull John back, “I’ll text you later, Si.”

“Okay Josh, bye.” I waved at the two of them as they walked off and drove away. As soon as they were out of sight down the road I pulled off my shoes and walked inside. I noticed a light on in Brian's room as I snuck by past and quickly closed the door to my room. The longer I could postpone talking to Brian about my date, the better.