Devil Town

003

It was shortly after ten o’clock in the morning when Lyla Garrity started to stir awake. It didn’t dawn on her completely at first that she was in bed with another person, so when she began to stretch…it startled her, or at least partially did, when she heard grunts coming from the other side of the bed.

“Garrity, this is too damn early to be waking up, especially on my day off,” Tim mumbled as he rolled over to face her, noticing her doe-like eyes were rather large…her pupils dilated. But after a moment or two, she had calmed down and began smiling at him. “Excuse me, for waking you up, Prince Riggins,” the dark haired girl teased him in a cute little giggle. Naturally Tim’s infamous grin began to show and he leaned over, pressing his lips to Lyla’s in a rather perfect moment between the two of them. This one was certainly one for the record books.

Lyla cooed against Tim’s lips—it had been too long since they’d kissed…she could hardly remember the last time. She instinctively scooted closer to him and he wrapped his still so muscular arms tightly around her, his hand starting to absentmindedly rub over her lower back, causing Lyla’s body to lightly arch into his. The kiss was bittersweet though as Lyla broke it and placed her forehead against Tim’s. Lyla breathed in and out a few times slowly to calm herself before speaking.

“I didn’t stay with you…for this to happen,” her voice was quiet, as if she was in the wrong. She could never be in the wrong for wanting this from him, Tim thought. “I didn’t let you stay with me for this to happen,” Tim said honestly. He shouldn’t even let this happen, it would be wrong at least on his behalf… but he loved Lyla Garrity, like he’d never loved another person before. She had honestly been the first person he had ever truly loved. For the last two years, she’s all he’s thought of…all he’s wanted. Tim thought of Lyla day in and day out, even when he was with Tyra Collette.

That wasn’t something he wanted to admit to her… he didn’t want her to know about him and Tyra. Tyra wasn’t here right now, was she? No, Tyra was off at college, too, in Austin, about an hour out of Dillon. But everything else aside: he was in a relationship with Tyra Collette and had been for the last six months. Tim had hurt Lyla Garrity so many times in their past and he couldn’t bear to do it again by lying to her over something as…when it came right down to it, as simple as this.

“Garrity… I can’t lay here with you and not tell you,” he started and Lyla put her finger to his lips in an effort to shush him so he wouldn’t ruin the moment. “Can’t it wait?” Lyla questioned in a hushed voice and Tim shook his head slowly, he wished it could. “I’ve been seeing Tyra, again.” Tim finally admitted, swallowing a large lump in his throat before continuing.

“For about six months now. She isn’t in town right now; she’s in Austin at college. But Lyla, before you go off getting mad… she’s not what I want. Yeah, there was a time and place I’d have picked her over you. But that Tim Riggins is gone. He’s the same one who would have slept with you, right here and now, without telling you.” It sounded bad, Tim knew it…but it was the truth. One thing Lyla had always preached to him—‘tell me the truth, no matter what.’

It was quite a bit for Lyla Garrity to process as she laid there in Tim Riggins’ arms, hearing him pretty much confess that he was seeing Tyra again…but that it meant nothing to him. That should make her mad, to hear a man say he was seeing someone without having genuine feelings for them. She sighed some and nodded her head, in this case she understood perfectly. “You and I… we’ll never work because I’m in Nashville and you’re here…” her voice trailed off. Tim had already come to that conclusion, it didn’t take a college scholar and plus…that’s why they hadn’t been together in two years now.

“I love Tyra, don’t get me wrong. She’s been here for me when no other woman was… but it’s not her that I think about first thing in the morning or last thing at night. When I think of Texas forever and living in that house I’m building on that acreage outside of town… it’s you I see living there with me, not Tyra.” Part of Tim ached as he admitted that to Lyla…because, it was the truth. It was so much the truth that it hurt. And he knew when he finally had to admit it to Tyra, it would kill him. Especially after what Tyra had admitted to him…

“I feel like shit saying that, Garrity. She deserves better than a guy like me… a guy who is laying here with another woman, the woman he’s in love with… But, I guess I’m going to sound a lot like Coach’s wife when I say this… can we really choose who we fall in love with? Really, can we?” Tim asked the dark haired girl in his arms.

When Tim Riggins spoke like this… well, it was right now that Lyla loved him most. Sure, Lyla loved him when he was a drunk, stumbling, babbling buffoon but… these were the moments she longed for. These were the moments that were only shared with her. That thought right there brought a smile to Lyla’s lips and when Tim noticed it…he knew for now everything would be okay.
“How’d everything go?” Tami asked as she heard the front door open and shut at a little after ten o’clock in the morning. “Took you a while,” she commented as Eric stepped from the foyer into the living room, laying his hat down on the table before taking a seat on the couch across from his wife who was in the recliner.

“Went well. I signed the contract and got Billy a better position. I’ve been on the field for a while now, just thinking about things.” Eric explained to his wife, who nodded understandingly. Tami knew it must be a lot for Eric to actually be coaching the Panthers again. Just like for Eric, there were a lot of vivid memories on that Panthers field for Tami as well.

“Got Billy a better job, huh?” Tami asked and quirked a brow. Eric smirked just slightly. “He’s going to be quarterback coach for Vince Howard, that’s if Vince is going to be QB #1.” Of course right now, Eric had every intention of Vince becoming the Dillon Panthers’ QB #1. In fact, since Eric was going to have to begrudgingly see Matt Saracen in Chicago on his and Tami’s visit—he was thinking of asking Matt to call and talk with Vince. Quarterback to quarterback.

“That’s great news,” Tami said enthusiastically. Billy Riggins definitely needed a job like quarterback coach. Tami knew that Mindy was about to bring twins into the world and although quarterback coaching was a fulltime commitment, they needed the income and Billy Riggins definitely had the spirit and drive for the job.

“I told him to be sure to let us know when Mindy goes into labor,” Eric said as he stood up from the couch and walked through to the kitchen, grabbing a cold bottle of soda out of the refrigerator. “Good, good, I don’t want to miss that. I’ve been putting together a little basket for her since she didn’t have a proper baby shower this time around,” Tami commented and stood up from the recliner, walking over to the kitchen table where the items for the basket were strewn out.

Tami liked to go overboard sometimes and liked things to match and be colorful and whatnot…so the basket was far from completed since it was far from perfect in Mrs. Taylor’s eyes. Eric stepped over beside his wife and looked over the things for the basket. They were things that most people, even as a guy he has noticed would overlook for newborn babies. He wrapped an arm around his wife’s waist and kissed the top of her head. Boy, she thought of everything, didn’t she?

“Oh. News on the Philadelphia trip,” Tami started and Eric groaned in a bit of fake frustration as he skulked from the kitchen table back over to the couch with his cold bottle of soda in hand. “Oh Eric, come on now,” Tami said while rolling her eyes at the sounds her husband was making.

“Alright, alright, let me hear it.” His hand gripped the bottle tightly; this could be good or bad news knowing his wife of the last nineteen years. “Well, I called and asked about the tickets and dates of flights… I figured we should finish the week out and weekend just in case Mindy has the twins or any more Football contract negotiations are made,” that was good thinking on his wife’s behalf.

“I thought maybe we could leave out Monday morning. There’s a flight out of Austin to Philadelphia on Monday morning at 7:15.” That was a little early, even for the Coach but, at least his wife had given them the rest of the week to pack and they wouldn’t have to do it in a blind fury.

“Sounds great to me, hon.” Eric said as Tami bent over in front of him at the couch and kissed his lips gently. “We’re going to have fun, right?” Tami asked as she straightened up in front of him, to which Eric laughed and smiled, “well of course. The Taylor’s in Philadelphia and Chicago, sounds like fun to me.”
“I think my little brother must have brought your sister home last night. I heard voices in his room when I walked past,” Billy said softly to his wife who looked the size of a massive boulder laying there in their queen size bed. He had just got home about five minutes ago from the meeting that morning with Coach and the super at the school.

“Screw Timmy and Tyra’s love life, I want to hear how it went with you at the school,” Mindy said, her voice slightly strained as she re-situated herself there on the bed so she was more sitting upward instead of laying in the bed.

“It went really good,” Billy said as he sat down at the edge of the bed, taking his wife’s hand in his own. “I got a promotion,” he said, his grin ear to ear. Mindy squeaked, excitedly. “What kind of promotion?” She questioned enthusiastically.

“It means slightly less hours at home…more commitment but a lot more money,” Billy started. “I’m going to be quarterback coach.” Mindy was no fool when it came to football, having grown up in Dillon, Texas. She knew exactly what it was going to take of Billy to be quarterback coach. Part of her was a little disappointed that he wouldn’t be at home quite as often but the other half of her knew the salary that would come with it…and she was excited for that.

“That’s great!” She squeaked again and squeezed Billy’s hand. “You should go tell Tim and Tyra. Tell her skanky ass I want to actually see her this time!” The last time Tyra had visited Tim overnight; Tyra hadn’t stayed long enough to even spend time with her very pregnant sister. Billy did as his wife was asking him and walked through to the other room, knocking on the door lightly.

“Tim? I’ve got good news. Why don’t you and Tyra come on out of there and I’ll share it with you,” Billy said, loud enough that Tim would hear him through the door and over his and Tyra’s voices. “Well, there’s one problem with that Billy.” Tim said where his brother could hear him. Billy could hear someone getting dressed in the room and when the door came open, Billy was rather gob smacked to see the dark haired Lyla Garrity standing in front of him and not Tyra Collette.

“Holy shit,” Billy mouthed and chuckled a bit. “It’s been a long, long time since we’ve seen you around here,” he admitted. Billy had always liked Lyla—honestly more than he even ever liked Mindy’s younger sister, Tyra. Only because Lyla had proved to be such a good thing for Tim…unlike all the years he spent pursuing Tyra.

“It’s good to see you, too, Billy.” Lyla laughed somewhat and rubbed over the back of her head awkwardly. “And before you or Mindy ask—I know about Tim and Tyra. We didn’t sleep together,” she admitted. Of course it was probably more than what Billy needed to hear but at least it made him feel a little bit better about his brother…at least Tim hadn’t cheated.

“Well at least you’re here in Dillon. I know Tim’s missed you a bunch. We’re having twins,” Billy blurted out and Lyla laughed, nodding her head. “I know, Tim told me. It should be this week sometime? Congrats,” she said and hugged Billy who was just so excited.

“Well, okay. Tim and Lyla, I got good news so why don’t y’all both finish getting dressed and come to mine and Mindy’s room?” Billy offered before disappearing. Lyla retreated back into Tim’s bedroom and finished putting on her jewelry while the former running back actually got dressed for the day. While they were doing that, Billy went back to his bedroom to inform Mindy… it wasn’t Tyra. It was Lyla who had slept over… of course Mindy was a little shocked at this. Hell when was the last time any of them had heard a word out of Lyla Garrity?
“The sun feels so good,” Becky whispered as she clung to Luke Cafferty, still lying on a pile of blankets in the back of his rusted old Ford pick-up on Tim Riggins’ land. A thin blanket laid on top of them to shield their exposed flesh from the sunrays—they’d only just woke up a little bit ago and hadn’t bothered to move yet. It was drawing close to eleven o’clock in the morning according to Luke’s watch.

“It really does… Your skin feels better though…” Luke purred in a soft voice as he rubbed over Becky’s bare hip underneath the blanket. He was stirred out of his less than savory thoughts of Becky by the sound of footsteps and then someone clearing their throat. He jumped some and rose up, looking face to face with a slender faced dark haired girl.

“Oh shit,” she said quietly and laughed softly more to herself. “I thought you were going to be Tim. I’m so sorry,” she apologized, sounding kind of stupid. She felt bad about sneaking up on this guy. Luke had no idea who this girl was, but Becky recognized the voice as she rose up from the bed of the truck and grinned. “Tyra!”

“Oh God, Becky.” Tyra laughed a bit more heartily, rather startled to see the young girl here. This situation was getting more and more awkward as she noticed both the guy and Becky were naked. Becky immediately covered up her breasts and bit on her lower lip. “Before you ask… yes Billy and Mindy know I’m here and who I’m with,” of course Tyra wasn’t even about to ask that. “Get dressed and we’ll go for breakfast or something, the three of us. I’m dying to know your beau,” Tyra teased the young Becky who nodded and started getting dressed.

Tyra walked back up the hill to her own car and waited while Luke and Becky got dressed. “Who the hell is that girl?” Luke asked, thinking that he’d heard the name Tyra before…she did kind of look familiar. “It’s Tim’s girlfriend and Mindy’s sister. Tyra Collette,” it then dawned on him after that. It was quite the small world after all.

As Tyra sat in the car, on looking the truck at the bottom of the hill… she smiled a little. This kid and Becky were a lot like she and Tim at their age. Well, hell, she and Tim had been even younger. It was a relief to her though that it hadn’t been Tim in the back of that truck. She had feared it was either him laying drunk by himself…or that he was with another girl. Tim was better than that these days though, she hadn’t needed to worry about that at all, and she reassured herself of that.

Luke and Becky finally finished getting dressed and they waved to Tyra from the bottom of the hill in the cab of his Ford before driving out of the gulley and up to the road. Through the window, Tyra and Becky only had to say one word to one another. “Applebee’s.” After all, it was nearly lunch anyway.
“Well, well, well, look what the cat drug in,” Vince said behind the counter at Ray’s BBQ on the East Dillon end of town. “How’s college been treating you, man?” He asked his former team mate and former rival of Jess’s heart, Landry Clarke.

Landry hadn’t been in Dillon since Christmas but now it was the first week of June and he was finished with his classes after his first year of college so of course he would return home. Jess was still one of his best friends, since Matt was off in Chicago, so he thought he’d come by Ray’s BBQ and see what she was up to on this already rather hot Texas day.

“It’s going good, man, how are you things with you?” Landry asked as he looked up at the menu for something to order. He was rather famished after the drive back into town. “It’s real good. I guess you know about the school closing down, yeah?” Vince asked and Landry nodded his head. “We’re all going to the Dillon Panthers.” He went on and Landry nodded to that as well.

“Has Coach Taylor officially signed up to coach?” The last Landry had heard at Christmas, Coach and his wife might be off to Philadelphia soon. Vince chuckled and nodded.

“Yeah. He’s made us wait this long in suspense but he signed the papers this morning. They’re staying here for another five years,” Vince said rather excitedly. He couldn’t imagine being on a team coached by anyone else but Coach Taylor. Honestly, Landry Clarke couldn’t have pictured anyone else either if he were still playing for them.

“That’s good man, real good. Where’s Jess at, on lunch?” Landry asked and Vince looked a little bewildered. Landry raised a brow, “did I miss something?” He asked Vince who rung up Landry’s order and gave him the change out of his $20. Vince stepped around the counter while one of the girls got Landry’s food together.

“You’re out of the loop,” Vince said simply and put his hand on Landry’s shoulder. Landry swallowed hard, this couldn’t be good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 3,170