Choices

Letters

The next morning I was awoken by a tapping on the window, I had a moment of unbalance until I remembered what had happened the night before. I stood up out of the armchair and opened the window to Sirius’ owl Henrietta, Hen for short.
Demonio,
I am aware that last night you escaped the house hold, I was told this morning by Albus that you were at Hogwarts. I am delighted to hear this news and the boys can't wait to meet you. Do not fret dear sister, I have not told Mother or Father of your break free last night. As far as they are concerned you are still living upstairs, they will not give you much thought for at least another week by which time you shall be settled in at Hogwarts and will be unable to be moved from Hogwarts unless you are attending lessons at another Wizardry school. This means mother would have to fake a note and signature from one of the other headmasters and as we are all aware Dumbledore and Dumbledore the head master are in close correspondence and the forgery can be easily revealed. This means they will not attempt it, tonight I shall arrive with the rest of the school and I hope to see you at the feast. Please send back Hen as fast as possible so I know what house you are in.
All my love always, your dear brother,
Sirius.
The note ended with a kiss and I smiled a weak smile, he was happy that I was there as it was. When he learnt that I was in Gryffindor he would be over-joyed .Immediately I sent him the response.
Dear Sirius,
Thank you for not telling them, I owe you one. I am glad that I will final get to see you whenever I want unlike those sanctioned visits that mother gave out. I am pleased to hear that they haven’t twigged yet about the fact that I am no longer in the attic. I, like you, have been placed in Gryffindor although it was a close call apparently. The sorting hat remembers you by name and says that I am a lot like you. I am sure that they boys will be lovely and I will see you tonight at the feast. I shall wait at the doors for you. I have to dye my hair though so it is no longer sooty black but in fact cherry red in a bid to hide my identity. I don’t know how well this plan will work but Dumbledore seems to have faith in it so I have faith.
All my love always, your loving sister,
Demonio
I to wrote a small kiss at the bottom and then folded it up and gave it to Hen.
“To Sirius please.” There was a flurry of feathers and then Hen was gone leaving me on my own again. A cold chill came through the window and I closed it firmly shut again. I wandered up the stairs to where my dorm room was and sat on the edge of my new bed. My trunk was already next to my bed and I opened it. I didn't yet have a wand or so I thought but there on top of all my clothes and belongings was my wand.
Elder, 13’’, unyielding and a temperamental core of mermaid scale. The only core like it, it was the only scale ever given up by a mermaid and mother had been horrified when it had chosen me but not her.
Gingerly, I lifted it out of my trunk and held it in my hand. There was a familiar rush of power as I held it in my hand and I smiled, not the pale imitation from earlier but a full blown grin. I took my clothes out and laid them on my bed. I took a towel and went into the bathroom. It was bigger than my last bedroom with red and yellow tiled floor and white tiled walls. There was a monster of a shower in the corner of the room with a rack for shampoos and stuff. There was a small bottle already in there and I figured that it was placed in there by the house elves, they always seemed to know exactly what I needed and by when. I stepped into the shower and let the hot water pound at my skin it did its job and refreshed me ready for the day I had ahead of me. Shutting the water off I wrapped a towel around myself and went back into the dorm room. Hen was sat patiently on the window ledge outside and I quickly let her in and shut the window behind her. She landed on my bed with a letter in her beak. Before I took the letter I towelled off and threw on my dressing gown. Hen had dropped the letter at her feet and was squawking angrily and I patted her on the head to quieten her. Sitting down, I opened up the envelope.
Demonio,
It’s wonderful that you’re in Gryffindor and I look forward to seeing this new colour. James, Remus and Pettigrew say hi and they can't wait to see the outcome of the hair dye. I haven’t seen Lily so far but there is still another two hours before I get off the train so I may well do before the end of the journey. Sorry about Hen at the moment, she seems a bit weirded out over something and I’m not sure what. Just do your thing and I’m sure she’ll calm right down. Before you mentioned it I hadn’t thought about the times I could see you without needing permission. It’s been so long since I needn’t ask that it seems like a foreign concept. I hope you found your wand alright; I sent it to your suitcase after picking it up this morning. The locks on the cupboard were easy enough to pick in 5 minutes. Only your bedroom door one was hard, I guess they never expected you climb out the window! Do you know any famous muggles, witches or wizards with cherry red hair so I know what to expect roughly?
I hope that you don’t find these letters boring and disruptive but I’m so excited. After all these years you finally got into Hogwarts. You’re only 4 years late in the 5th year! Ha-ha, now hurry up and write back soon,
Sirius.
I sighed and grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill and started to write.
Sirius,
I think that a muggle singer has the same hair colour, her name is Hayley Williams and she is a singer in the band Paramore. Your letters aren’t boring but they are slightly distracting, maybe if you wrote longer letters I could get more done in the time gap. I still have to dye my hair mind you and get everything sorted. No it’s okay, I was being sarcastic if you didn't realise. Tell the guys I said hi and if you see Lily tell her I’m looking forward to meeting her as she will be in my dorm. Thank you for the wand, I missed it terribly over the years and I don’t know how I lived without it. I thank you on the comment about being in the 5th year. You realise that it’s the same year as you? That means we will might have some classes together! You will never get rid of me now Mw-ha-ha-ha!
It’s alright I don’t intend just to hang around with you, I will probably meet some new friends soon into the term and then you won’t have to put up with me that much except at maybe meals. Just as a thought can you aparatte onto the train?
Demonio
After sorting out Hen I got dressed into the uniform that my cousin Loral had given me when I thought that one day I would go to Hogwarts. I had a set of her robes for every year because what else was she meant to do with a girls uniform?
I buttoned up the shirt, slid the black waist coat on and straightened out my plain black robe. The only sign of which house I was in being a red and yellow checked ring that Sirius had given me.
I went down to the common room and picked up the dye from where I had put it the night before. It was blazing red tone and I felt a little doubtful about whether or not it would work. I called for a house-elf who arrived promptly and got me an old towel. I dunked my head over the sink after I had the towel and flicked it all back. I read the box carefully then put it down and double checked that it was all wet before opening the bottle up. Eyes watering slightly from the smell, I followed the instructions and clipped up my hair to keep it off my shoulders. Whilst I waited for twenty minutes to be up I put my things away in the drawers and sorted out the bedding. Once my familiar black duvet covers on I looked up at the clock and realised that I was meant to wash it out five minutes ago. I hurried back into the bathroom and dunked my head over into the sink. I checked, double checked and triple checked to make sure that all of the residue was out before inspecting it. My sooty hair was replaced by burning hair that was like a tomato in the early morning sunshine with a touch of dew. It rather surprised me as it actually suited me. I checked that it was all covered before checking the time again and realised that I had minutes to get to the great hall. I dried my hair quickly with a spell and sprinted down to the giant double doors as the first carriages arrived.
After about ten carriages I started to lose patient but quickly recovered it as I heard Sirius’ laugh from the next carriage. He stepped down and I launched myself at him. He stumbled but regained balance quickly and hugged me back.
“Hey Demonio!”
“Sirius! I missed you so much!”
“I know it’s been what? A moth since I last saw you?”
“Yep, well a month tomorrow! This is the shortest period of time between the two visits that it’s ever been.”
“You keep count of the days?”
“Yea, you were my only visitor I ever had. Dad didn't want to face mum about it,” I explained as I unravelled myself from around him.
“I should have broached the subject more I think then. By the way, loving the colour. It’s slightly blinding but I like it!”
“I know right, I didn't expect it to suit but it does.” Laughing I spun around so that he could see it all. With a smile plastered over his face he told me,
“You missed a spot on the back.”
‘Did not!’, ‘Did to!’ We went on like this for a few minutes until there was a polite cough from the carriage.
“You haven’t don’t worry, now can the rest of us get out?” I looked behind at them and swallowed a laugh. Three other boys sat in the carriage still; two looked peeved the third looked neutral.
“Right guys sorry. James, Remus, Peter this is Demonio. Demonio this is James, Remus and Peter.” As he spoke he indicated to each of the boys in turn. Peter was one of the peeved ones with dishwater blonde hair and a pudgy build. James was the other peeved one with a crop of messy black hair; wire framed glasses and eyes like two blue tanzanite gems. The final one was Remus who was the neutral. He had hair like James’ but more tamed with slightly dark eyes like axinite.
“Hey guys, where’s Lily?” They all looked at James when I asked where Lily was.
“Well… She’s not really talking because we,” Sirius hit him on the arm and James quickly changed what he was saying. “I pulled a prank on Snape and she didn't like it although he’s a Slytherin and a right git towards us. I know that they used to be mates but called her a filthy mud blood the other day and she still protects him! Personally I don’t get it but I’ve given up trying to figure out Lily.” He ran a hand through his already messy hair and it stood on end.
“Dude, your behind us all. We all gave up all hope of figuring her out in the second year when she started hanging around with those Hufflepuffs and then got annoyed when they wouldn’t talk to the Slytherins either. Nobody talks to them except other Slytherins and they’re all creepy. We all told her but she wouldn’t listen and we gave up trying to figure her out.” Sirius said and Pettigrew was nodding his head furiously. Remus just stood there, as we were talking we had moved and they had got out. We walked towards the Great Hall and the five of us swallowed laughter as we walked between the tables as the entire halls eyes were popping out of their skulls at my hair.
We sat down and Professor Dumbledore the headmaster started on a long and rambling speech about the New Year. He clapped his hands and the door opened on to the group of bewildered first years. They came up the centre of the room between the Gryffindor and the Ravenclaw tables. Some openly stared and others looked more shocked for a moment before regaining composure. Some altogether shrugged it off and I was guessing that it was the Muggle born’s that did that. Out in the muggle world lots of people had brighter hair than me; I had seen the proof in Sirius’ pictures.
The new students grouped together and one of the teachers ran to get a stool and the sorting hat. Another professor that I couldn't put a name to although I thought it was Slughorn judging by Sirius’ descriptions of him.
“Abbot, Louise.” He called out and a small girl about 5 ft. 4’’ with tawny blonde hair in loose waves. She stumbled a bit on the steps and quickly caught herself from the fall. Sitting on the stool you could sense her discomfort. The hat was on her head no more than a millionth of a second before I boomed out ‘Hufflepuff!’ This was carried out for at least half an hour until the final student got up on the platform.
“Kodaly, Ash.” He had wide lavender eyes with lush lashes more befitting of a girl than a boy. His hair was a pearly white and scuffed the edges of his shirt. For his sake I hoped he wasn’t put in Slytherin, they would tear him limb from limb. This sorting took the longest; he seemed to get more uneasy by the second.
“Gryffindor!” The hat shouted and he looked relieved. The whole of Gryffindor got up and clapped and cheered, he had to be good if it took so long to sort. Practically running, he came up the edge of the table to find a seat. The only open one being by me. Once sat we all looked back down to the professors. Armando stood up, raised his hands over his head and started to talk again.
“Students before we eat I would like to ask you to extend a warm welcome to Beauxbaton’s Academy of Witchcraft and Durmstrang School of Wizardry. This year Hogwarts will be hosting the Tri-wizard Tournament; Students in the 5th year and over may enter and be warned the trials in the tournament are not for the faint of heart. Please may I introduce Beauxbaton’s Academy and their Headmistress Mar Bella to the great hall.” The wide doors were opened again and this time girls the same age and older as me and the boys walked through. They were instantly entranced as the girls walked past and the wand in my pocket seemed to hum. I took it out and held it loosely in my hand and felt it thrum faintly the way it usually did when a sea creature was near. It fastened up as the headmistress of the academy came close and it was made abundantly clear that she was part mermaid. One on side of her face she was perfect with flowing blonde hair and grey eyes like frothy seas. On the other she had pale blue scales running to under her robe, her eyes the startling blue of the Caribbean Sea. She moved like she was swimming underwater and her cloak seemed to trail off like water into the depths. On closer inspection I realised that the bottom of her cloak was in fact enchanted water. Dumbledore and Dumbledore stood up and gave her a polite hug as the girls sat in the empty seats that had been created along the tables.
“Next can we please welcome the Durmstrang students and their Headmaster Magia Oscura.” This time a formation of boys entered and I sighed. Each of them was easily past the 6 ft. mark with muscles and flawless marks. Again Dumbledore and Dumbledore shook his hand and the boys took the empty seats. One of them sat down a few seats down and again I sighed contentedly.
“Watch out Sirius, I think your sister has a crush on them!” Remus joked and I gave him a sharp look.
“Do not and never will, I’m just appreciative of all the hard work that must have gone into those arms, legs, and chest. That sort of thing, doesn’t mean I have a crush on them.” Ash chortled beside me and I whipped around to face him. His nose was scrunched up and he looked very cute.
“Someone sounds defensive,” I couldn't help but laugh as well and soon we were all laughing. When everyone was seated Dumbledore spoke again,
“Now we should probably eat before you start throwing things at my head so help yourself.” As he finished the food appeared before us on the once empty gold plates. The boys helped themselves to the food until I thought that the plates would hold no more and then helped myself to a handful of grapes that I peeled before eating.
“You realise what the Tri-Wizard Tournament means don’t you?” Remus said and we shook our heads at him. “The Yule Ball!” The boys groaned at the prospect off dancing and I cheered up at the thought. A ball! This meant I could get the dress I had been looking at in Danielle’s Dresses window for ages or then again there was always that one in Witch Weekly. I placed my wand on the table instead of back in my pocket so that it wasn’t constantly annoying me and Sirius snatched it up and handed it to James. I frowned and Sirius explained.
“James didn't understand why getting your old wand was such a big deal so I said that he could look at it when you next brought it out and then he could decide whether it was worth rescuing.” I rolled my eyes and huffed as James rolled it in his hands.
“Why does it do that?”
“Do what?”
“That thrumming.”
“Oh, that isn’t constant. It’s about the core.”
“What’s up with the core? None of ours thrum ever and we have all different.”
“I have a one of a kind core of Mermaid scale which means that when there is a magical being or half being that has magical water-being blood is around it thrums as a signal. At the moment it’s going off about the Beauxbaton’s headmistress.”
“How do know it’s her?”
“Have you not seen the left side of her face?”
“Yes it’s normal.”
“No, it’s covered in mermaid scales. She’s half-mermaid. How could you not see?”
“I don’t know but now that you’ve pointed out I can see a faint outline of them. I think maybe your wand protects you from the illusions she’s put up around her. You best keep it on you, without it I don’t know if you would have noticed.”
He handed it back and turned to address Sirius.
“I now understand why it was important that she got her wand and I know owe you three liquorice wands when we next go to Honey duke’s. Happy now?” Sirius mock thought about it and then laughed.
“Okay, I accept that. Is everyone else done? I want to go up the dorms now and get my and timetable to compare with you guys.” The four of us chorused our yes’ and stood up. Ash watches us leave and then we were out of the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Chapter two is up! So, yesh, if you hadn't guessed by now, I will be trying to update at least once a day. It may not be possible some days but when I can, I will. In this chapter as well, I hoped to display the close bond between Sirius and Demonio without making it seem too close because they don't get to hang out that much.
Song: I actually think of one this time so leave suggestions in the comments?
Subscribe & comment?
Luvs ya,
Ellie
xxx