Goodnight Moon

One Shot

The boy poked his head into the small house, looking around. He stepped in and slipped his shoes off as well as his jacket and quietly hung them up. He tip toed into the living room, slowing down as he saw a light from the lamp on the side table. He bit his lip and poked his head in to see if anyone was awake. For god’s sake, he sighed softly, he felt like he was seventeen and had come home past curfew again. He set his suitcase down and stepped into the living room, looking at the couch to spot a sleeping beauty lying there. A smile crept up on Alex’s lips at the sight of Jack sleepy soundly on the couch. He kneeled down and just watched him for a moment. The younger boy’s eyelids twitched slightly being as Jack must’ve been in the middle of a dream. He had only gotten more beautiful since Alex had left, the boy thought. His skunk glowed in the soft light of the lamp and his phone was clutched tightly in his hand that hung off the edge of the couch. Alex tilted his head to read the illuminated screen. Three missed text messages lined the screen, all from Alex himself. A throaty chuckled crawled up his throat as he shook his head. Jack must have fallen asleep a few hours ago. Alex couldn’t blame him – it was just past one am. Alex brought a hand up to brush Jack’s bangs out of his face and press a soft, gentle kiss to his temple. Jack stirred and brought a hand over to rub his tired eyes.
“Hi.” Alex whispered softly, smiling slightly as he watched him.
A small sound came from the younger boy as he came to. His eyes widened as he focused in on the man before him. “Babe!” He squeaked and reached forward with grabby hands. Alex chuckled softly and wrapped his arms around his much missed husband, holding him tightly for a moment before letting him go. “Damn, I didn’t mean to fall asleep. I wanted to be awake when you got home.” His bottom lip jutted out into a pout.
Alex chuckled softly and shook his head. “It’s okay, baby.” He said softly, his voice still a whisper. He leaned in to steal a kiss. Their lips lingered against each other’s until a small giggle broke them apart, except it didn’t come from the other boy.
“Ew.” Said a little voice with a giggle.
Alex’s eyes spun around to the stairway, Jack’s gaze following, where they landed on a pair of baby blues peeking out from behind strawberry blonde curls.
“Miss Sadie Elizabeth, it is way past your bed time.” Alex said, tilting his head and arching a brow but his smile betrayed him. How he had missed that little girl. He looked back at the boy beside him and made a face.
“I swear she was asleep two seconds ago.” Jack said, his hands up in mock surrender.
“Mhm.” Alex hummed with a small nod.
“She was!” He defended.
The blonde chuckled. “So were you!” He poked his nose and looked back at the toddler on the stairs. “C’mere.” He opened his arms up.
With a big smile, the little girl ran over and threw herself onto her father’s lap. “I missed you, Daddy!” She exclaimed. “How was your trip?” She looked up at him.
Alex smiled brightly. “It was pretty good. But I missed you and Daddy a whole lot.”
Jack watched them with a warm smile.
“So.” The little girl pressed her face into Alex’s chest in a hug. “Did you get me a present?”
“A present? Was I supposed to?” Alex asked, trying not to smirk as he tilted his head down at his daughter.
Jack pressed his lips together to keep from smiling and shook his head at his husband. “You are so mean to her.”
Alex smirked over at Jack before wiping it away as Sadie looked up at him. “Daaaaaaaady.” She whined; something she had picked up for Jack.
“Okay, okay.” He nodded, making the little girl squirm with anticipation in his lap. He chuckled and shuffled her over, into Jack’s lap and reached over for his suitcase. He unzipped the front pouch, and stuffed his hand inside and looked over at Sadie. Her eyes twinkled and flickered from the suitcase to her father and back and forth. Alex chuckled and pulled his hand out to reveal nothing. The little girl’s shoulders slumped. Jack shook his head, smirking over their daughter’s head at him. Tease.
The older boy reached in again and this time, he pulled out her present. A nearly impossible to find purple elephant that he managed to sucker Matt into making a mini All Time Low shirt for. The blonde squealed and reached for it with grabby hands. God, she was far too much like her father sometimes, but It only made Alex smile. “Thank you Daddy!” She mumbled against the stuffed animal.
“Of course, kiddo.” He said with a smile and leaned forward to kiss her head.
“Hey Princess, why don’t you bring the elephant upstairs and Daddy and I will come tuck you in in a moment?” Jack suggested. The blonde nodded and squirmed her way off Jack’s lap and ran over to crawl up the stairs. Jack watched her until she disappeared into the hall way before he turned his head and pressed his lips against Alex’s in a hungry kiss. He didn’t protest; Alex kissed him back softly before chuckling softly.
“This seems like an after-she-goes-to-sleep conversation, hm?” Jack only hummed against Alex’s lips, leaning in for another kiss, missing his taste. Again, Alex kissed him back the smirked against his lips and pulled away. “Babe…” he whispered. His hot breath tickled Jack’s lips.
Jack whined then huffed in defeat. “Fine.” He frowned and stood up, following Alex up the stairs. He didn’t even hesitate to reached forward half way up the stairwell to smack his husband’s ass playfully and smirked as he acted innocent.
Three bedtime stories, multiple kisses and cuddles, and one ‘snug as a bug in a rug’ later; the boys finally got their daughter tucked in and asleep and made it to their own room. Alex lugged his suitcase into their room and began rummaging through it for Jack’s present. He felt arms snake around his torso and hot breath tickle his neck. A lazy smirk played on his lips as he eased into his husband’s embrace.
“Can’t this wait till tomorrow?” Jack asked, resting his chin on Alex’s shoulder, peering over at the suitcase.
He chuckled softly. “Then your present waits till tomorrow.”
The brunette tilted his head, contemplating the situation. “You can be my present.”
Alex smiled and turned swiftly in Jack’s arms to face him. “That was really cheesy, Jacky.”
“Mhm.” Jack mumbled, leaning in for a kiss. It was short, but it was sweet and gentle and satisfied Jack’s wanted perfectly for the moment.
The two boys pulled apart long enough to strip of their clothes and change for bed. Jack curled up in an old t-shirt of Alex’s and his boxers while Alex simply wore a pair of navy pajama pants. Jack was in bed first, clutching the blanket to his nose. He always got cold right before bed, but he didn’t mind; it was a good excuse to get cuddles from the older boy.
Alex turned to climb into bed and chuckled softly.
“What?” He asked, his voice muffled from beneath the covers.
“You look like you’re five years old.” Alex stated.
“Lexy, check under the bed for monsters?” Jack smirked slightly. Alex laughed and ducked his head to look beneath the bed.
“Dust and boxes.” He told him and stood back up.
“Don’t forget the closet.” Jack pointed behind him. Rolling his eyes, Alex turned to open the close doors and poke his head inside.
“Unless the big ass Mickey Mouse Matt gave you is going to eat me, I think we’re okay.” He chuckled and shut the doors.
“Hey, that was a birthday gift.” Jack said, shifting in his place. Alex chuckled and shook his head, walking over and crawled beneath the sheets and under Jack’s arm, into his chest.
“I really missed you.” He hummed.
His husband kissed his pinked stained hair. “I missed you too. There was no one to check for monsters for two whole weeks.” He smiled softly.
“I love you, Jay.” Alex peeked up at him, feeling his eye lids getting heavy.
“I love you more, Lex.” Jack whispered, and leaned in for one last goodnight kiss.