Timing is Everything

I got sick.

It had been a little over a week since Luke started his second channel, and it seems to be working like he planned. I have gained nearly 5,000 subscribers in that time. Things were also getting even bigger for Luke and Louis. They got a call asking them to be on a radio show.
“They just want to do a live interview right now, but they said if it gets good ratings they might let us have a weekly talk show,” Louis explained over dinner.
“That would be great!” I yelled.
“I’m not sure,” Luke said. “That means less time we have to work on our videos.”
“Luke, what do the two of you do besides making videos?” I asked. “All you have left is free time. Plus, if anything you can just do a few shows and that could boost your views up even more.”
“She has a point,” Louis said.
“I guess so,” Luke said. “Besides videos, all we have is free time.”

I had work the night of their interview, so unfortunately I couldn’t go with them. However, I heard all about it when Luke came over that night.
“It was so fun! It was like Louis, Brian, and I were just talking about whatever. I think we’re going to do the show if they offer. Brian said we should hear back in about a week if he can get us a spot.”
“That’s wonderful, babe,” I smiled. “But I’m exhausted from work. Can we get some sleep?”
“Okay,” he said, still beaming.

I woke up the next morning feeling off. I tried to sit up, but I immediately knew that was the wrong decision. I made it to the bathroom right it time.
“El, are you okay?” I heard Luke enter the bathroom. My head was in the toilet. I’m not sure if my dash from the bed or the noises I was making woke him up. He pulled my hair back for me as more came up.
“Did you eat something bad last night?” he asked.
“No,” I said as I was nearly done. I never threw up. Not even when I got sick. I would never let myself do so because I hated the feeling of it. If I’m throwing up, then something must be wrong. And Luke knew that.
“Do you want to go to the doctor?” he asked.
“No,” I said kneeling up, my throat burning.
“Are you sure? You never get sick,” he said rubbing my back.
“I’m sure. Can you get me a cup of water so I can rinse my mouth out?” I rinsed, brushed my teeth then got back into bed.
“Feeling any better?” Luke asked after I was on the bed.
“A little. I think I just need to lay down for a bit. Could you turn on the air, please?”
This was weird. I don’t get sick. Hopefully it’s just something that will pass in a couple of hours.
“Don’t you have to go make a video with Louis?” I asked as Luke sat next to me on the bed.
“He can wait. I need to make sure you’re okay. Plus, he probably isn’t awake yet.”
I looked at the clock. Quarter after ten. Of course he’d still be sleeping. We’d all still be sleeping if it weren’t for that gush of sickness. We stayed up pretty late last night. I closed with the restaurant last night and didn’t get in until after one in the morning.
“Do you think you’re going to puke again?” Luke asked.
“No, I’m starting to feel better,” I said. “Just a little sore.”
“Want anything to eat?”
“Not yet. Let’s try to get some more sleep,” I said, still drained.
He carefully got into the bed and turned to face me.
“I’ll be fine,” I said, reassuringly. “Get some sleep.”
“How are you feeling?” Luke asked when we woke up a few hours later.
“Stomach hurts a little,” I said sleepily.
“Maybe this is all just cramps. Is it almost time for your,” he paused, “period?”
I looked over at him, horrified. We both noticed at the same time that I haven’t had my period in quite a while.
“No,” he whispered.
“Can you go to the drug store?” I asked, scared.
He stood up, panicky, looking for his pants. “Wh-what do I get?”
“I don’t know. A pregnancy test!”
“I know that. What kind?”
“Any kind!” I didn’t know anything about pregnancy tests. All I knew was that I obviously needed one.
“Calm down, El. It’ll be okay,” Luke said reassuringly, but I could tell he was trying not to freak out.
“Could you please just go get it?” I asked lowly.
“Okay; I’ll be back.”
“Don’t get Louis!” I yelled as he walked out the door.
Pregnant. A baby. Wow. This is huge. I had to remind myself to relax. It might not be a baby. The test could come up negative. It could be something else. Who am I kidding? Of course it’s a baby!
I stayed lying in my bed in shock until Luke came back. Luckily, the store is across the street from our apartments, so it doesn’t take long for him to go.
“I didn’t know which to get, so I got a couple different ones,” he said and dumped the bag out onto the bed. I could tell he was extremely nervous; there was an ovulation test in with the four pregnancy tests.
“How long do we have to wait?” Luke asked as I came out of the bathroom.
“Three minutes,” I said then fell into his arms. “We are in trouble.”
“Hey, it’s going to be okay,” he said. “We don’t even know if you are pregnant yet.”
“We both know I am. Look at all the signs. I can’t believe we didn’t realize this earlier. Everything was there. I haven’t had a period in two months, I’ve been peeing like crazy, my emotions are all out of whack, I’ve been insanely sore, and now I had morning sickness. How far along can I be?”
“Do you think too far to stop it?” he asked.
“Luke, I don’t want to stop it,” I said seriously. “Do you want me to have an abortion?”
“No! I just thought you might want to,” he said.
“No, I don’t. We did this. We’re responsible,” I said.
“Okay. We’re going to be fine,” he said and squeezed me tightly. “It’s been three minutes.”
He held my hand as we walked back into my bathroom. “Two lines,” I held it up. “Pregnant.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!
Sorry it's short; the next chapter is a good bit longer.