Timing is Everything

New Year's Eve

I hadn’t post a video since Luke and I made our announcement, so I thought it was time to try out the camera he gave me.
“Hey, guys! Sorry I haven’t posted a video in a while, but if you’re subscribed to Luke and Louis’s second channels, then you’ve probably seen me some. Anyway, merry late Christmas and happy New Year! Right now it is New Year’s Eve, and I’m going to a party tonight with Luke that some of our friends are throwing. Since I am now halfway done my tenth week of pregnancy, I won’t be drinking tonight, but I will be the designative driver. Luke and Louis are probably going to vlog all of this and post videos later.
“As you guys can most likely tell, I have a new camera! It’s great; Luke gave it to me for Christmas because he’s so sweet!
“I saw I lot of you guys asking me a lot for updates on my pregnancy, and Luke and I were discussing this idea: I make a second channel for all things baby related. At first I didn’t want a second channel, but only some viewers are going to want to watch baby stuff, so I want to know what you guys think. Let me know in the comments.”
I finished up the video then went to get ready for the party. It was actually my friend Jamie’s boyfriend and his roommate who were throwing the party. Louis and Luke were friends with them.
I have yet to tell my friends that I was pregnant. Since I don’t think any of them watch my videos, I doubt any of them know.
I brought my computer over to the boys’ apartment so I could edit while I waited for them to get ready. Me, being a pregnant female, should probably take longer to get ready than those two, but they take forever. Louis plans on flirting a lot tonight, so that calls for an hour-long shower.
“Excited for tonight?” Luke asked as we waited for Louis to fix his hair.
“Not really,” I said. “I have to tell everyone I’m pregnant.”
“That should be exciting. They’re all going to be happy for us, you know. It’s going to be fun. Trust me.”
“You two go drink some and have fun. Don’t let me hold you back,” I said once we got there. They went off to find some drinks and friends while I was looking for Jamie. I didn’t take long to find her. There weren’t that many people there yet. We had gotten there around 10:30.
“Ellie! Oh, my gosh! It’s been months! How are you? What have you been up to? You want a drink? Where’s Luke?” I forgot how talkative Jamie could be, especially once she’s had a couple of drinks.
“I actually have something I need to tell you,” I said. I could tell she was just a little tipsy and would be able to comprehend what I was about to tell her. “Luke and I are having a baby.”
“Shut up!” she yelled, a smile on her face. “No way! Are you excited?”
“Starting to,” I smiled back.
“That’s why you don’t have a cup in your hand. Come with me, we have to talk!” she yelled and pulled me with her back to her boyfriend, Aaron’s room. “Tell me everything!”
“Well, I’m only ten weeks in. There’s not much to tell,” I said.
“Is there going to be a wedding?”
“I don’t know. There’s not anytime soon. We’re going to move in together then see where things go from there.”
“You’re totally going to get married. You and Luke are perfect! Have you thought of any names yet? When do you find out the sex?”
“No, and not for a few more months, probably.”
“I hope it’s a girl. We have too many guys around here. And you practically already live with two of them. You’re getting outnumbered!”
“I know,” I chuckled. “But I’d be happy with a boy too. Have my own little one.”
“I’m so throwing you a baby shower. When are you due?”
“July 20th.”
“So what are you doing for money?”
“I’m making good money from the Internet, but I’ve still been waitressing.”
“But aren’t you going to do something more? Don’t you need more money?”
“Jamie, the Internet pays most of my bills right now, and I’m only getting more. When I announced I was pregnant, both my and Luke’s views skyrocketed. And Luke already makes bank.”
“But if something does happen, I mean, you’re not getting married. What did your parents say?”
“Basically the same things you’re saying now.”
“Right. Sorry, didn’t mean to be all mom-like,” she laughed.
“Come on, let’s get back to the party,” I said leading the way out of the room.
I found Luke on a sofa next to Louis and Aaron. I sat on his lap and held his drink for him.
“Ellie, Luke just told me the news,” Aaron said. “Congratulations.”
“Thanks,” I smiled.
“How are you feeling?” Luke whispered in my ear.
“Tired.”
“It’s hardly 11:00. You still have at least another hour and a half to go, missy.”
“Hey, I’m pregnant here. I get tired easily.”
“You can take a nap in my room, if you want,” Aaron offered.
“Thanks,” I said. “I might take that option later on.”
As more people came to the party, the more our news spread. It seemed like every five minutes another person was coming over asking us about it. We didn’t mind; it was just weird talking to them about a baby when just a few years ago we were talking about college, parties, and lame TV shows.
“So Louis, how do you feel about Ellie stealing your man?” our drunk friend Michael asked.
“Ellie’s a lucky girl. They’re going to have one great kid. And that kid’s going to have one great looking godfather!” Louis said. He was starting to get drunk.
“I think I should take that,” Luke said, taking the beer from Louis’s hand.
“I wanted that!” Louis whined. Yep, definitely getting drunk.
“And I get to deal with both of them on the ride home!” I yelled.
“Told you four years ago to watch out for them,” Jamie said. That’s right; I was at a party with Jamie when I met them.
“I’m glad I didn’t listen to you, but you were right, they are hot,” I said then kissed Luke. Everyone wooted. Luke wanted to kiss a little more than I thought was appropriate in front of people. “Calm down boy, you already got me pregnant once.”
“Yeah, Luke!” Louis yelled and hit the back of his head. “You don’t want twins do you?”
“Because that’s how it works, Louis,” said Tammy, a girl he had been flirting with all night. All I knew was that I wasn’t bringing her home with us. He could go by her place, but I did not want her in the car with me. Not that I had anything against her, I just didn’t know how well she was at holding her liquor.
“I just don’t know how you can go without drinking,” Michael said.
“Something called self-control, Michael. I’m sure you never heard of it,” I said. Eventually, you just have to get a little sassy with these drunks.
“Ten minutes until midnight!” someone from the kitchen yelled.
“Why is she yelling that now? We still have ten minutes until midnight,” Luke sputtered. He should probably slow down on the drinks too.
“You know, a good boyfriend wouldn’t drink when his pregnant girlfriend couldn’t!” I joked.
“I’m not a good boyfriend? I thought you told me to drink. You said for me to drink with Louis. Louis! Did she not tell me to drink?” he mumbled.
“She did! She’s lying! You’re lying! You married a liar!” Louis yelled. He was wasted.
“I didn’t marry her! I didn’t marry you,” he said sadly then looked up at me. “Do-do you want me to marry you?”
“No, sweetie.”
“Ha! See, she’s not married to her,” Luke said to Louis. No matter how much they mess up their sentences, as long as both of them are drunk, they can understand each other.
“Who said she’s married to her?” Louis asked.
“She said she’s married to her,” Luke said.
“She married the liar!” Louis yelled. This was the type of stuff they should make videos of.
I tried to get Luke to sober up a little bit so we could have a decent kiss at midnight. “Drink this,” I said, handing him a cup of water.
“What is it?” he asked.
“Vodka.”
“Ooh, yum!” he yelled then chugged the whole thing. “Yuck! That vodka was disgusting!”
“Try this one,” I said, giving him another cup of water.
“That’s delicious,” he said. I gave him another one, and he sipped on it slowly.
“It’s almost midnight. Are you going to kiss me?” I asked.
“You bet I’m going to kiss you!”
“I wanted to kiss you!” Louis yelled at Luke.
“Kiss Tammy!” Luke yelled back.
“Okay,” Louis turned around and started kissing Tammy already.
“Hey, everyone!” Aaron yelled and turned off the music. “It’s almost midnight!” Everyone yelled. “But before you all start groping each other, I want to have a toast to Luke and Ellie and their new baby!”
Everyone yelled then drank to us. I had my Coke, and Luke had his “vodka” water.
“5, 4, 3, 2, 1! Happy New Year!”
Luke gave me a really big kiss. Even though he smelled like beer, his kisses were always nice.
“Louis, are you spending the night with Tammy?” I asked once things have cooled off some.
“No, I just want my bed,” he said sadly.
I could tell I’d be in for a rough morning.
But it was Luke’s last New Year’s before he had to start being more responsible. Well, it was mine too. It wouldn’t have been fair if I had asked him not to drink. I don’t mind, really.
I got both of them safely into bed by myself, surprisingly, then went back to my apartment for some peaceful sleep, knowing there I wouldn’t be woken by the sounds of them puking.
One bad thing: I don’t drink; yet I still puke.
I didn’t go over by Luke the next morning. Instead, I decided to think about our future. I had read a good bit from the book Louis had given me and decided we should probably start thinking about names. If we think about names, we should probably know the sex of the baby. I kind of want it to be a surprise, but it seems more logical to find out. It would be easier to buy things if we know what gender we’re shopping for.
I also thought about what Jamie had said last night when we were discussing the gender. I am the only girl, and it would nice to have a daughter to dress up and take to dance class. On the other hand, I do love my boys. And another little one just might complete everything.
If it were a girl, she would totally be a daddy’s girl. Luke tries not to spoil me, but with a daughter, she would be spoiled rotted from him. If he had a son, he would have a mini-me. And maybe it would make Louis more comfortable. They could all play ball together and teach him how to ride a bike, because I’m crap at all those things.
Whatever the baby turns out to be, I probably want to stick with our L names. I know Ellie doesn’t start with an L, but it sounds like it. Only thing is I don’t know many other names that start with an L. I’ll have to do some research, and ask Luke what he thinks.