Status: Work in progress

A Daydream Away

Chapter 12

After a couple hours Alex had sent everyone home, tonight was his first official date with Jack and he was nervous, but mostly excited. He had planned everything out obsessively over the past week. The only hint he’d given Jack was a card with directions on where to meet up. Okay so maybe a picnic in the clearing wasn't the most original idea, but its where they spent a lot of time together and he knew how much Jack loved it there. He’d prepared a simple meal of Jacks favorite foods and he was bringing his guitar to play for Jack, he never usually played in front of people but as with everything Jack was the exception. About half an hour before Jack was supposed to meet him there he headed to the clearing to set up, he wanted to make sure their first date was perfect.

It was two hours later when Alex found himself alone; phone clenched in hands multiple calls to Jack had gone unanswered. Jack would never stand him up would he? Of course, punctuality wasn't his strong suit, but he wouldn't be two hours late. He waited another half an hour before giving up; he threw everything in the basket not caring what he ruined and threw everything in his trunk. He stopped at Jacks house on the way home and had to stop himself form banging on the door. He knocked hurriedly not sure if he was supposed to be pissed off or worried. Jacks mom answered after his panicked knocking and visibly relaxed when she saw it was just him.
“Alex honey whats the matter?”
“Where’s Jack.”
“He texted me earlier from Josh's house, said he’d be over there a few hours, I’d expected him home by now, would you like to wait here for him?”
Alex couldn't believe what he’d heard; he didn't know whether to be upset, hurt, or seriously pissed off. Jack had stood him up on their first date to hang out with Josh.

Jack woke with a start, sitting up rubbing his eyes and trying to adjust to his surroundings. He looked across the room and saw Josh lying across his bed sleeping soundly. He’d gone over to Josh’s to play video games after they’d left Alex’s and he must have fallen asleep. Shit! Alex! He scrambled for his phone desperately searching his pockets before spotting it on Josh’s dresser. He hurriedly picked it up checking the time first then seeing multiple missed calls from Alex. He didn’t bother with a goodbye to Josh before rushing out the door and making his way to Alex’s house, he tried calling multiple times on his way there-it went straight to voice mail. He knocked timidly on the front door sighing in disappointment when he Alex’s mom answered.
“Is Alex in?”
Mrs. Gaskarth gave a sad smile before shaking her head, “He came in a few minutes ago, asking specifically not to let you in.”
“Please let me see him I need to talk to him it can’t wait.” Jack was throwing his dignity out the window, begging to see Alex.
“Maybe tomorrow Jack he went straight to bed, I think it’s best to leave him alone right now.”
Jack nodded silently and started down the street towards his house, he couldn’t believe he’d slept through his date Alex was going to hate him. Okay, maybe not hate him, but he was going to be heartbroken and that was so much worse. He found his mom was waiting for him in the kitchen when he got home,
“Alex was by here not too long ago, did you find out what he wanted?”
“We had a date…I fell asleep at Josh’s and missed it. Wait- you didn’t tell him I was at Josh’s house did you!?”
“Yes, is that a problem?”
“As far as he knows I blew off our first date for Josh! He already hates him and is convinced Josh likes me, he’s never going to forgive me for this!”
“Calm down Jack you know that boy loves you, he may be hurt but he’ll forgive you.”
Jack just shook his head and ran upstairs, he called Alex endlessly without answer and each time left a voice mail begging for him to answer and explaining what happened over and over.
After a night of fitful sleep Jack was out of bed early and headed to Alex’s, fighting with the boy was first on his list of least favorite things to do.
He knocked on the door hoping it would be Alex to answer but getting his dad,
“Is Alex up?”
“Surprisingly yes, he was up and out the door early this morning you just missed him.”
Jack cursed under his breath thanking Mr.Gaskarth and walking back down the sidewalk. Of course Alex would’ve known he’d try to come back, he headed down the street trying to think of where the hell Alex would be at 8 on a Sunday morning. He would've checked Rian's normally but he seriously doubted Alex would've gone there so early. He passed the park they used to play at as kids, and the woods they played in now when it hit him. The date he'd missed was supposed to be in the clearing where he and Alex spent so much time alone and together, it only made sense that Alex would be there now. Jack hurried through the trees coming to an abrupt stop when he saw Alex laid back in the middle of the clearing.

"So you do know how to get here,"
"Alex please let me explain."
"No need Jack, after sitting alone out here for two hours and having all my calls ignored I was fucking worried. I knew you wouldn't stand me up so something had to have happened. So I went by your house and your mom told me you were with Josh. Of all people to blow me off for it really had to be him!?"
"Alex it wasn't like that! We were just going to hang out until I had to go but we fell asleep!"
“So you slept together!?”
“Fuck! Alex come on you know that isn't how I meant it. I was asleep on the floor. Please Alex I know I screwed up but please let me make it up to you.”
“I planned this for weeks Jack; last night meant so much to me. You treated it like it was nothing and blew me of for Josh. So no Jack I really don’t want you to make it up to me, I really don’t think you can.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alex is such a drama queen, and I don't know about you guys but I still don't trust Josh.

(This is really off topic but I got a 5 on my ap English composition exam and that's going to be my major so Im pretty dang excited!)

Thanks so much to all those who commented, recommended or subscribed it means a lot to me.
Good mood + comments = updates!