Status: Work in progress

A Daydream Away

Chapter 5

After Alex had left that Wednesday, he drove around aimlessly for hours, avoiding his forever ringing phone. It was Friday now, and he and Jack had barely even talked. Alex didn’t know how to explain his leaving to Jack without explaining his jealousy, so he just avoided the subject altogether. Barely talking to Jack these past two days had been hell for Alex; every time he saw him at school, he hurriedly averted his gaze and rushed away.

It was Friday evening now, and Alex was pacing the length of his room, unable to handle the thought of Josh taking his Jack out when he couldn’t. Before he had time to process his actions, Alex had abruptly launched himself from the spot in his room and quickly ran the distance to Jack’s house, making it in record time. He raced up the steps and animatedly banged on the door, impatiently awaiting an answer. Jack pulled open the door his face switching from confusion, to hurt and shock as he took in the sight of his best friend.
“What do you want, Alex? Josh will be here any minute.”
Alex’s lip trembled at that, and he felt himself tearing up. Without thinking he hurled himself into Jack’s arms, clinging to him tightly.
“I’m sorry Jack. I’m so fucking sorry, I miss you so much.” As he spoke, he felt Jack’s arms wrap around him, hand rubbing his back in a soothing motion.
“I’m sorry too Alex--I don’t know what I did, but I’m sorry.” he buried his face into the shorter boy’s hair, taking in the scent that could only be described as Alex; he’d missed it so much these past few days.
“Please stay home with me tonight, I need you Jacky.” Alex’s voice was pleading and pitiful, but he knew the answer was a yes. Jack couldn’t say no to his pout, and he wasn’t above using that to his advantage right now. Jack sighed, pressing a quick kiss to Alex’s head. “You know it’s a yes Alex I’d do anything for you.”
He took out his phone, dialing Josh before quickly holding the phone to his ear.
“Hey Jacky! I’m almost there, everything alright?”
“Uhm, I’m sorry Josh, but I can’t make it tonight. Alex stopped by and he really needs me right now.”
Josh let out a short bitter laugh, “After two days of treating you like shit it’s so convenient he needs you right now.”
“We’ve been over this Josh, you can’t talk about Alex that way.”
Alex smiled upon hearing that and pulled back slightly to look up at Jack who in turn gave him a small smile.
“Look I’m sorry, really, but I have to go.”
Jack hung his phone up before grabbing Alex’s hand and pulling him inside. He carelessly tossed the phone on the kitchen table before leading Alex up to his room.

“So what did you need, Alex?”
“You, just you. I needed time with my Jacky; I needed to say sorry I’m a dumbass, and I really fucking missed you.” Alex sat on Jack’s bed, looking everywhere but his best friend’s eyes.
“Do I get an explanation as to why you ran out? And why you’ve been avoiding me?”
Alex knew this could be his chance to come clean and tell Jack how he really felt; he could tell Jack he was jealous. He could tell Jack that he belongs with him, not Josh. Momentarily forgetting his fears, thanks to a rush of bravery, he jumped from the bed grabbing Jacks hands and looked into his eyes.
“I was jealous Jack-“
Before he could continue, Jack cut him off with a laugh, “Alex that’s ridiculous; you’re my best friend! Josh is never going to take that place--you don’t have to be jealous of that.”
Alex stayed silent for a moment, having lost his carefree confidence.
“Yeah I know, Jay. I was being dumb.”
He forced a smile and crawled over to the bookshelf. Grabbing a random movie, he popped it into the DVD player in hopes of distracting them both from the conversation at hand.

Hours later, the boys found themselves lying in Jack’s backyard, staring up at the stars. Well, Jack was staring at the stars--Alex was watching Jack. Without thinking, he reached for Jack’s hand, holding it securely in his own.
“I love you, Jack.”
Jack’s mouth pulled into a half smile as he turned to face Alex. “Love ya too…freak.”
His half smile broke into a full grin as Alex tackled him, tickling his sides.
“Take it back!” Jack screamed with laughter, desperately trying to overpower his stronger friend.
“Never!”
Alex moved where he was straddling Jack to pin his arms over his head. Jack gave up the fight, letting his friend do as he wished and childishly sticking his tongue out at the older boy.
“Put that away before I bite it.”
Jack raised an eyebrow at this, tongue not budging. Alex smirked, leaning down gently taking his tongue between his teeth. Both boys stopped struggling at the new contact, and looked in each other’s eyes. Alex licked his lips, carefully leaning in to meet Jack’s. Just as their lips were about to touch, the back door was thrown open. The two boys to sprung apart at the sudden intrusion.
Jack’s mom stuck her head out the door, yelling for the boys to come inside.
Alex stood awkwardly, reaching a hand down to help Jack. He quickly retracted it as soon as Jack was steadied.
“I should probably go…I’ll see you tomorrow.”
Alex barely looked at Jack before he hurried off towards the direction of his house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Come on guys get your shit together and stop chickening out would ya?

Special thanks to my lovely friend who edits this you should follow her here: http://gerardcalmyourhands.tumblr.com/

Also my tumblr come find me and we can be friends okay: http://iminlovewithgerardway.tumblr.com/

Thanks so much to all who commented on the last chapter, comments = updates so let me know what you think!