Status: Work in progress

A Daydream Away

Chapter 8

Monday morning found the boys reluctant to get out of bed and go to school. They had spent the weekend holed up in Alex’s house, ignoring the outside world and enjoying their newfound relationship. Rian and Zack had called quite a few times, but decided not to investigate; figuring the boys would answer if they needed them, and probably just wanted space. As far as they knew, Alex and Jack were just getting back on speaking terms. Rian would be in for a shock when he found out Alex had actually come forth about his feelings.

Alex eventually got out of the shower and re-entered his room in only a towel.

“Your turn, Jacky.” he mumbled, still half asleep before beginning to pick through his pile of clean clothes. Jack smiled at his gorgeous boyfriend and pulled him into a close hug, enjoying the freshly showered smell just as much as his being half naked. Alex kissed his cheek and let his head rest on Jack’s shoulder; he felt his eyes begin to close.

Alex’s mom chose this moment to check on her son’s progress with getting ready, and stuck her head in his room.
“Boys I hope you’re- oh, uhm, very close I see. Well hurry up or you’re going to be late.” She managed to finish her thought before leaving the room in a hurry.

Alex chuckled and Jack pulled back, mortified.
“Alex!” Jack desperately shot back. “This isn’t funny. Your mom just caught me feeling up her practically naked son!”

Alex tried his best to keep a straight face, but his efforts failed and earned him a smack in the head. He gave Jack his best glare while rubbing the area of assault on the back of his head.

“Calm down, will ya? She knows you’re gay, and she’s known how I feel about you. We just took her by surprise is all. I’ll talk to her about it after school,” Alex dismissed. “Now go get ready.”

Both boys eventually got dressed in spite of Jack’s panic and the usually grogginess of a Monday morning. They begrudgingly headed to school, silent except for the sound of Alex sipping his coffee. Jack wrinkled his nose in distaste, “Coffee breath is gross you know.”

“You’ll kiss me anyway, you know,” Alex mocked.

Jack opened his mouth to make a smart ass comment, but instead felt Alex’s mouth placed against his own in an innocent kiss. He smiled into it, immediately kissing back only to have Alex pull away too soon for his liking. He looked at his boyfriend, ready to protest, but was once again cut off by the older boy’s, “told you so.”

As they neared the entrance of the school, Jack used their intertwined hands to his advantage and tugged Alex to a stop.

“Before we go in, do you, uh...want people to know about us?” Jack motioned to their hands before casting his gaze downward, having suddenly become very interested in his shoes. Alex placed a finger under Jack’s chin, forcing him to meet his eyes before answering.

“Jack, you--just, in general--are the best thing that has ever happened to me. But now that you’re finally mine in the way I’ve been dying to have you for years? There’s no way I’m hiding that from anyone.”

Their sweet moment was interrupted by the bell, signaling they had five minutes to make it to their first class all the way across campus. Jack pecked Alex’s cheek quickly before they took off running, making it to class in record time. They only ran into six people along the way; a personal best.

Zack engulfed them both in hugs upon seeing them.
“I thought you guys died or something! Rian said you both just needed space or something, but I was worried!” His words spewed out of his mouth at a mile a minute. The pair chuckled, hugging their friend before taking their seats.

Alex exchanged a look with Rian, who was obviously dying to know what had happened.

“Rian was right, as always.” Alex answered his silent question with a smile. He brought his and Jack’s still entwined hands to his face and kissed Jack’s softly. Rian nearly screamed in his excitement, “Finally! I thought you were going to murder Josh in cold blood before admitting anything.”

Alex stuck his tongue out childishly, and avoided telling him that the thought had crossed his mind a few times. Zack looked upon his friends in confusion. “Wait, what’s going on--everybody knows something I don’t.”

Jack laughed at his friend’s earnest expression of confusion before giving a brief explanation. “Alex and I finally admitted we’re in love, and now we’re boyfriends.”

Zack’s face broke into a huge grin “Aw, you guys! It’s about time!”
Jack shook his head, amused as they all turned their attention to the front of the room where class was about to start. He couldn’t believe it had taken them this long if even Zack was clued in on how they felt.

If their friends had thought they were ridiculous between classes before, they didn’t know what was in store once they were together. Zack and Rian were leaning against the wall, expressions somewhere between amusement and disbelief over the fact that any two people could actually be this torn up about being apart for mere hours. Alex was holding Jack close to him, pressing multiple kisses wherever he could reach from his head to his shoulder blades. Jack had his face buried in Alex’s hair as if he was trying to memorize his scent. Rian finally separated the two before they spent the whole next period scarring innocent bystanders such as themselves. The new coupled pouted once apart, and reluctantly went their separate ways.

Jack and Rian made it to their class without a second to spare, and took their seats next to Josh. Jack cursed to himself as he remembered he’d been on a date with Josh, left abruptly, and ignored all calls that entire weekend. He knew he couldn’t avoid the confrontation forever, but he could at least ignore it until lunch. He threw himself into the pile of work assigned that he normally would have dreaded, but today he was thankful for. He worked straight through to the bell, then threw his things in his back and all but sprinted out of the classroom. Josh looked to Rian for an explanation, but he simply shrugged; this was Jack’s mess to fix, not his. They made it to the cafeteria in time to see Jack running into Alex’s arms dramatically, while Zack stood to the side shaking his head in bemusement.

“Jacky!” Alex exclaimed happily as he held his arms open for the overexcited blur of skunk-hair. Jack ran into him at full speed, wrapping his arms around him as soon as he made contact. Alex laughed as he stabled himself and Jack, before pulling back enough to look him in the eyes. “I love you.” His voice was soft, and a hint of a blush scattered across his face.

“As I love you.” Jack replied, taking his hand and leading him to the lunch line, leaving a smiling Rian and Zack and a bewildered Josh behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
More fluff, which is always nice, but with a cliffhanger of sorts drama will come soon. I've had and will have a lot more time for writing, so updates depend on comments.

Thanks to ofcarlileandmen for commenting on the last chapter and everyone who subscribed!