The Migratory Patterns of the Hikey German Family

2- Age 16

Have you ever felt like everything just zipped by? Like you're whole life is just slipping away like sand in the hand on a little girl on the beach... Sitting in the yard that feeling hit me. My eyes scanned the place I grew up. It all looked exactly the same. My eyes slowly trailed up the tree tangled in the fence... Everything was the same... everything except me. A heavy sigh escaped my lips. It had to have been two years since I just stood in the grass looking... just looking... My heart ached. Over those two years ever centimeter of my world went all big bang... it erupted and is just now beginning to settle back into some sort of order. It could have been worse, I admit, but going through it, well it didn't feel like it couldn't. That's the thing though, walking through the darkness is the worst part, you just have to keep walking, if you stop you're fucked... So we marched on; my mom and I. We just kept going. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure how she kept fighting.

The grass was just turning green from the pounds and pounds of rain we just got... the ground was mushy like a wet marshmallow. I just stood there remembering every moment... I had my first kiss over there in that shed, the thought made me smile. I really thought I loved that boy. I turned and looked at the leave-less 'bad hair-day' bushes. I remember the twin, Gwen and I making a snow fort in them... I laughed softly. I turned swiftly as a 'hello' came from behind me. I shouldn't have been surprised that it was the Hikey German Family... they had the baby today. I couldn't help but wonder who she was going to grow up to be. Would she hike like her parents? I waved as they strolled by. They always seem to appear when I was deep in thought, if I was the only one who saw them I'd say they were guardian angles... But I wasn't so clearly they were real.