Skate on Over

Chapter 3: The Call

The game was intense. It went back and forth through the first and second period, but the Kings ended up beating the Blackhawks 4-2, by scoring three times in the third period. I felt drunk, really drunk. I had plenty of beer and some shots were sent our way from the rowdy men two rows behind us. We were just heading back to our traveling bus when a large man came over to me.
"Oh shit," I said, my words slurring, "he must know that I'm totally wasted."
"WE ALL ARE!" Jordyn yelled laughing loudly.
"Excuse me," he said "which one of you is Kaylynn?" His deep voice shook me as I tried to keep my weak legs from collapsing from underneath me.
"Umm, that would....that would be me."
"Patrick Kane wanted me to give this to you." he handed me a folded up piece of paper.
"Girls! Time to load up!"
I somehow made it on to the bus and settled to the seat. Everyone was sitting down, looking at me. They wanted me to open up the paper. The bus started off, and I somehow managed to turn on the little light above me, to see that Patrick Kane from the Blackhawks, had given me his phone number. All digits are accounted for.
"OH MY GOD!" Alexis yelled "THAT IS HIS PHONE NUMBER ISN'T IT?!"
All heads turned towards me, and my cheeks instantly turned read.
"I guess he did."
The girls all started to chat among themselves about how lucky I was. I kept looking down at the paper, thinking: "This can't be real."
We reached campus two hours later, and we all went straight to our dorms, apartment, and small on campus houses, and went to bed. Still clutching the piece of paper in my hand, I somehow managed to make it upstairs to my room in our town house and crawled into bed, placing the piece of paper on my bed side table.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You're throwing up again?" Jordyn asked from outside the bathroom door.
"Yes," I managed to say between the episodes of vomit. "my head hurts so bad."
I heard Jordyn walk down the hall and grab some advil out of the medicine cabinet and walk back to the bathroom. I had my head between my legs, taking deep breaths. She filled a glass with water and handed me the pills.
"Thank you." She smiled as I plopped the pills into my mouth and chugged half of the water.
Jordyn and I share the top floor of the house. The bathroom is in between out two bedrooms, and there is a small living space across the hall. Alexis and Carmen live downstairs where the kitchen, dining room, and another bathroom are located. Our small backyard over looks part of the valley, and part of the campus is visible from to the left. We loved this house. It was still apart of the school living space, but it was something to call our own.
"Have you called him yet?" Jordyn asked, sitting on the bathtub.
"Who?" I asked totally clueless.
"Um, do you not remember anything from last night?"
"No, but I remember my dream. Patrick Kane gave me his phone number."
"Kaylynn, that was real life."
"Shut up, no it wasn't."
She stood up quickly and jogged to my room and came back with a small piece of paper.
"Holy. Fuck."
"I know.'
"IS KAYLYNN AWAKE?" I heard Carmen yell from her bedroom.
"Yeah, I am." I heard two sets of foot steps sprint up the stairs.
"Call him. Now." Alexis said.
I looked at the number for a long time, and started to feel my heart beat faster and faster. I stood up and grabbed my iphone off its charger on my computer desk. I felt three pairs of eyes on me as I began to dial the numbers on the paper.