Status: let's see how this goes, shall we?

Trace Your Shadows

it's all a game of this and that

NOW

Fiona's never had that intense hatred of hospitals like so many people she knows. She doesn’t fear them or dislike them, despite how many awful memories she has of being in them. She supposes it’s because every time Pete ends up here, he comes out alive. Broken, yes, but still together enough to be fixed and she’s grateful for that.

She’s still waiting for someone to come speak to her and she knows the nurses have been watching her far too carefully for her liking, but she just can’t bring herself to care. Unless they’ve got information on what’s going on with Pete, they’re irrelevant to her and so she keeps her eyes trained on the hospital room opposite her, not even sure if it’s Pete’s or not, but it gives her something to focus on.

Someone falls into the seat beside her and she looks up to see the tired, stretched-too-thin smile of Patrick. She tries to return the gesture but fails miserably, settling instead for a nod.

“Did you get a hold of everyone?” she asks quietly, her lips feeling almost too numb to move properly.

Patrick nods. “Yeah, yeah I did. Dale’s on her way over now, and Joe and Andy are catching the first flight out. Ashlee knows but won’t fly in until at least tomorrow, Bronx is asleep and she’ll have to sort things. I figured they were the most important people to tell right now. We can let others know later. When we know more.”

Fiona gives a little hum in agreement, knowing he’s right. “How’s Dale taking this?”

“I wish Pete realized how much he breaks her, how much he breaks all of us,” Patrick murmurs, and although Pete may be fighting for his life right now, both of them could understand the anger Patrick felt toward him. “He makes us all feel like we’re not enough.”

“One day he’s gonna get it right, Patrick,” Fiona replies, her voice thin. “One day he will, and I don’t know what we’ll do with ourselves. I don’t know if we can come back from that. What if that time is now?”

Patrick refuses to comment on this, his own fears trapped inside his head, and so he changes the subject. “Has anyone come out yet, to talk to you?”

“No, I just keep getting stares from the nurses,” Fiona responds bitterly before finally forcing herself to ask. “How’d he do it this time, Patrick? What happened?”

“I thought,” Patrick stops himself, taking a deep breath. “I honestly thought he was getting better. I was wrong.”
♠ ♠ ♠
aww, it's my favourite person's birthday today! happy 29th birthday, patrick stump!
thank you all for reading, it means a lot!