Status: The first story in Katie's Get Well Series!

Lemonade

One of One

Katie bit her lip as she looked at the young man out front. Lawnmower in hand, he’d taken his shirt off a good twenty minutes ago due to the intense heat of the sun beating down on him. His shaggy blonde hair was falling in his eyes, but there was something so familiar about him. She knew she’d seen his tattoos somewhere before, and his warm eyes were giving her serious Déjà vu.

Maddi had hired the guy about a week ago, gushing about how gorgeous he was, and Katie could easily understand her friend’s affection. He looked like something out of a magazine, with a perfectly sculpted chest and arms that looked like they could hold her for eternity. Even some of the neighboring girls were out “jogging” being sure to wave as they passed in nothing more than short shorts and sports bras.

Katie sighed, unable to shake the familiar feeling of him as she made her way downstairs. As she turned to go into the kitchen she felt herself hit something solid and fell back to the floor. She didn’t have time to get up before something heavy landed on her, and she could smell the stench of sweat. Her blue eyes lipped open, being met with warm brown ones as the same boy on her thoughts laid on top of her. But as she took in his face she didn’t see blonde hair.

As she saw the short, shaved brown hair her eyes flew open, all the pieces finally coming together. He saw the shock on her face and reached up, and when his fingers ran over his short hair he gasped, shooting up and grabbing his blonde hair, shoving the wig back on his head and looking at her. Her eyes were still wide, her voice caught in her throat as she realized she was looking at Liam Payne. Her heart was racing as he stood up, extending his hand to her.

“Please don’t tell anyone you saw that.” He pleaded, his eyes searching hers.

“You’re Liam Payne.” She whispered, the shock of that realization still setting in. “Holy shit. You’re Liam Payne.” He chuckled and she realized she was completely blowing her first impression. “I mean… hi.”

“Hi.” He said, giving her that heart melting smile. He extended his hand and she happily took it as he led her further away from the door, not wanting to be overheard.

“So what’s with the whole incognito lawnmower thing?” She asked, feeling much more confident now that she’d gotten over her initial shock. He sighed, running a hand through his fake hair.

“After my big split with Danielle I just… I needed to get away from everything for a while. Go where no one knew where I was.”

“So that explains the wig.” She said, smiling. “But why CoMo? I mean, of all the places in all the world you could go, why here?” He chuckled, biting his plump lower lip.

“Can I brutally honest with you?”

“Yeah.”

“I figured no one would ever bother looking here.” They chuckled before he leaned over on the counter, propping himself up on his elbows as he looked at her. “But I just fell in love with this place and now I kind of don’t want to go back.”

“Still, why mow lawns? You have, like, ten billion dollars right?” He busted out laughing at that, making her feel butterflied flutter in her stomach. Something about his laugh was completely magical and she was under his spell.

“Not quite ten billion.” He said, still chuckling. “As for mowing lawns I…” He stopped, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. An awkward silence filled the kitchen as his eyes stayed on the floor. Finally she broke the silence.

“Do you want some lemonade? You’re sweating like a pig.” He chuckled again, biting his lower lip as he looked back at her.

“Yeah, I’ll be in the front.” She nodded as he vanished into the house and she felt a shiver move through her. Swallowing nervously she grabbed the pitcher out of the fridge, filling two glasses and setting several ice cubes in each glass. She bit her lip as she made her way towards the front yard. She could have sworn she saw him blush when he was about to explain why he mowed lawns, but figured she was imagining things.

She made her way out back, plopping down on the stairs next to him. Katie bit her lip, looking at the handsome boy and extending the glass to him. “It’s not poisoned I promise.” She teased lightly.

He laughed with her, taking the lemonade from her hands. “You can never be too careful.” He murmured. Katie smiled as the pair sat down, looking at the yard in front of her sorority house. She then chuckled, causing his eyes to find hers. “What?”

“Nothing.” She promised. “I just never thought I’d get to see Liam Payne mowing my lawn.” He sighed, pressing his lips together as he ran his fingers through his fake hair again.

“About that…” He muttered. His eyes moved to hers and she blushed at the intensity of his gaze. “I wasn’t originally going to be working. I wanted to just relax and just let the stress of everything go.”

“So what changed your mind?” She asked. He looked over to her and she felt her heart skip a beat.

“You did.” He said simply, his cheeks flushing. Her eyes flew open as he quickly explained himself. “I was driving through, trying to find a hotel to stay at when I saw you. You were sitting right here with that friend of yours drinking lemonade and laughing about something. I saw how tall your grass was and set up a flyer by your house, hoping that you’d see it.”

“Liam.” She murmured. He swallowed nervously, starting to lean towards her. Her heart was racing at their noses touched. He tilted his head to the side as her eyes closed, bracing herself for whatever was coming. Finally his lips ghosted against hers and her patience was gone. She moved towards him, pressing their lips together. She felt him smile as he cradled her face, pulling away and keeping the kiss short and sweet.

“Wow.” He whispered against her skin. “Can’t say I was expecting that.” He chuckled. She gave him a huge grin, her eyebrows bouncing up and down.

“I’m just full of surprises aren’t I?” He chuckled.

“Definitely.” He said, grinning. “But the best kind of surprises.” She smiled with him as he slowly took her hand in his, lacing their fingers together.

“So, what happens when you do go back?” She asked, her eyes moving to his. “We just forget about each other?” He pressed his lips together.

“Well you know, London is a lovely place in the summer.” He said, smiling at her once more. She gave him a small sigh before her lips pulled into a grin.

“If everyone’s accent is as dreamy as yours, I’m in.” He smiled, pulling her close and pressing his lips back to hers. Finally as he pulled away she pressed her lips together. “There is one thing though Liam.”

“Yeah?” He asked. She pointed to the yard where a single patch of long grass stood.

“You missed a spot.” They both busted out laughing as they sat on the front steps, looking at the terrible job he’d done on the lawn.

“Keep in mind, I haven’t mowed grass since I was about sixteen.” They chuckled again as he pulled her to her feet, giving her another small kiss before leading her to the kitchen to refill their glasses.
♠ ♠ ♠
KATIE.
You beautiful and amazing girl, this is for you!
I hope it made you feel better, even if just a little bit
You have four more of these bad boys to look forward to
and I hope you get well soon!

oxoxoxoxox
LS