Honest Hunting

As all things usually go....

LaFayette Jones walked in long, devouring strides. Her thick, curly, dark brown hair was almost always out; it's soft nappiness shrouding her shrewd, pulchritudinous face of frowns. Her skin was the shade of Mocha with cream, her lips plump with the pride of her dark-skinned heritage. Her light brown eyes appeared to hold stories stretching back as far as the very birth of time. This all was intriguing to those trapped outside her space, her territory... Hardly a person was ever let in.
When the bell rang for first period, she sat in the front to the left by the window. Rainy days were days she looked out and contemplated the ways of the world, and sunny days she watched the blue of the sky and the green of the grass and was simply awed by the beauty. The teachers all had separate opinions of her, but one common thought rested between them all: She had a brilliant mind. "One only knows how far she'll go," said some. "Her secluded demeanor will be her downfall," argued others. But none could quite grasp the concept of... her.
This particular morning, LaFayette had woken up earlier than usual and had proceeded to Dann-Bell Academy, uniform and all. The morning dew wet the grass tremendously and caused water to seep through the holes in her shoes. She pretended to pay no attention to this as she waited for the bus. Her eyes followed the moving cars and the few people walking down the dark street. Dawn was just beginning to break when the bus pulled up. The bus driver smiled. Immediately, LaFayette recognized him as Brian, her busdriver and her friend. She often confided in him, and they had been friends since she was seven. He was in his late 50's, and had treated her like a daughter.
"Good Morning, Hailey."
LaFayette laughed.
"Don't let anyone else hear you calling me that... they may just as well take to it. You know I don't want no strangers calling me by my government."
She turned around to look to the back of the bus. Only two others were on the early bus, and they smiled at her with friendly faces. She smiled back and sat in the front.
"What you doin out so early? Trying to escape your mother?"
"Of course. That's what I live for."
"I see you ain't lost your wit."
"I learned from the best."
Brian laughed a huge, boisterous laugh that filled the bus with an undefined happiness.
"Yeah, yeah... What you plan on doin with your extra hour? Standing on the school front? Socializing?"
He smirked as she raised an eyebrow.
"Oh, yes that's what I'll do. Socialize with the very people who don't understand me, learn to speak their language and breed with them. It's a promising start..."
Brian chuckled.
"You are something else... just like your father."
LaFayette frowned. Brian felt is heart drop a little as he saw her eyes fade into what seemed to be another state of consciousness. He was going to say something else but decided against it, and instead sat in silence.
She watched the trees and streets carefully as her mind wandered between planes. She was already a bit turned for the start of the day, and began to wonder if she had evn had a father. To her remembrance, he wasn't really present oft. When he was, however, he seems to command the certain space that he was in and bring it to life. She frowned harshly and decided to stop thinking. It was ruining her day so far.
Her stop was coming up, so she yanked the cord.
"See you later, Haley."
He tipped his hat.
"Bye..." she said as she stepped off the bus.

The court yard was empty and the leaves were falling steadily. She paced around for a bit. After about 15 minutes, she decided to sit on the front steps, look at the sky, and think.

Today is ending better than it began, she promised herself.
Then she closed her eyes and began to pray.
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter completed yay!