Status: Some chapters may be NC-17. In that case they will be labeled as such.

The Mirror of Erised

Knowledge.

Amanda and Melinda were probably the most inseparable set of siblings since Fred and George. Melinda, Mindy, was a prefect and one of the smartest girls in her year - behind Hermione, of course. Amanda, Mandy, wanted nothing more to be like Mindy and looked up to her in every situation. Just four years younger, she was and always would be the baby of the family. But all that changed when, in her most desperate time, her idol failed her. And it was a pain Mindy was going to have to live with - even if she was inadequately prepared to do so.
~*~
George helped me through the hole in the wall, catching me by my waist when I slipped, plummeting towards the earth only to be suspended midair. He lowered my gently to the ground, his hand lingering on my waist a beat too long before he dropped it to his side.
“Um...are you ok?” his voice stuttered slightly and he shifted from foot to foot.
I nodded, still a little shaky from seeing Mandy so happy, so innocent, so carefree. Like before the battle, before this year. Before all those nights cramped in the Room of Requirement as Mandy and Seamus unabashedly flirted while I kept my eyes steadily on her. My mind drifted to Seamus. I wonder if he knew. He probably did, otherwise he would be putting it together very shortly. Maybe I should go talk to him.
I looked up at George, his eyes on the ground. I don’t know what possessed me to ask it, but I did. “Who’s Fred?”
I could tell he was upset and I was ready to take it back when, in a quiet voice, he answered.
“My twin brother. He died in the battle.”
“So did Mandy...my little sister.”
We were both on the edge of tears right now, our lips quivering slightly as George cleared his throat, placing his hand on the small of my back and asking, “Shall we?” before leading me to the stairs up to the surface.