Fighter

~210

After having her small scene with Lori, Isabell went back to the tent to finally get Daryl some food. She entered the quiet tent, finally glad to have some sort of sanctuary. “Sorry I took a bit. There’s a fuckton of shit goin’ on this mornin’.”

“Sounds fun.”

“Believe me. It’s not.” Isabell tossed Daryl the peach. “I know they’re not your favorite.”

“It’s somethin’.”
“That’s what I said.” She agreed, taking the spot on the floor next to the cot. The two ate in silence for a moment.

“Isabell!” a small voice called from outside the tent. There was a pounding of footsteps growing louder and Carl appeared at the tent opening. “Are you coming?” He asked.

“Yeah. Just one second, bud.” Isabell nodded, smiling.

“Okay.” Carl said, turning away from the tent.

“Tell Jimmy I’m getting the bed of that truck!” She called after him.

“Got it!” He shouted over his shoulder, rushing off.

Daryl looked to Isabell. “I see he’s your best friend again.”

“I stuck up for ‘im.” Isabell explained, taking the last bite of her peach. “Lori got all mad about some gun thing. Carl just wants to learn how to shoot and I helped him speak up for himself.”

“You shouldn’t be gettin’ into their family shit.” Daryl warned.

“Maybe not. But he’s not much of a kid anymore. He has ideas and he deserves to be listened to.”

“As long as there’s a reason for it.”

“Just like with Harley.” Isabell clarified, standing from her spot. “Alright, I will be back later. I might go out and check the traps after.”

Daryl shook his head. “Nah. Just wait until I’m good to be out, too.”

“Who knows how long that will be.”

“Doc says five days bedrest. I’m on day four.”

“Which means they haven’t been checked in four days. You’re the only one that does it, D. I’ll do it this one time.” Isabell said, searching through Daryl’s bag for her gun and some ammo. “They’re just on the tree edge. I’ll be fine.”

“No.” Daryl snapped.

Isabell’s head jerked up at Daryl’s sudden forcefulness.

“Ya ain’t goin’ alone.”

Isabell studied his face for a moment, a little upset at the outburst. She nodded anyway. “Okay.” she said quietly. “I’ll have Shane and Andrea check them on his way back in from a search.” She checked the safety and put her gun in the waistband of her jeans, leaving Daryl without another word.

Isabell hurried so that she could catch up with the Greene’s truck before it left. She jumped into the bed of the truck and sat herself down, arm leaning against the sides. Isabell took a deep breath, enjoying the free air on her ride up to the section of land that the men had set up for target practice. Rick and Shane set up a few last minute targets along an old fence.

Shane approached Isabell. “Let me see whatcha got before I let you teach someone.”

Isabell rolled her eyes, quickly loading her gun and turning the safety off. She held it up and quickly shot down three tin cans from the fence in front of her.

Rick looked to Shane with an impressed look.
Shane wasn’t happy that Isabell was able to show him up, but he sighed anyway. “You can help Beth.”

Isabell smirked at Shane then looked to Beth with a smile.

!@#$#@!

The group arrived back to the farm without Andrea and Shane who had went to the housing development that Sophia might be in.

Isabell jumped out of the bed of the truck before it made a complete stop and slowly walked over to her and Daryl’s shared tent. She entered silently and flopped herself down on the cot on the opposite side of the tent. Isabell sighed. “Carl did good today.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. I think Lori is warming up to the idea of him carryin’ a gun.”

“Good.”

Isabell stayed silent for a moment, wishing she would get more than one word responses. “Carol and Beth were good, too. Even Patricia.” Isabell laughed. “Jimmy tried to do that gangster shit.” She smiled. “You remember when we were at Merle’s friends and he was threatenin’ Merle with his gun tilted to the side? He was trying to be a badass and failin’ somethin’ awful.”

“Yeah, I ‘member.”

Isabell’s eyes stayed to the ceiling of the tent. “I’m sorry. I don’t really get why I should be sorry, but you think I should be, so…”

“You can’t end up like me.” Daryl said.

“What?”

“If you go out alone, you could wind up with a bolt in yer side.”

“I could. But there’s two things wrong with that. I don’t use a crossbow, and I ain’t nearly as reckless as you.” Isabell smirked and looked towards him. “I’m smart when I do things.”

“I was smart.”

“Maybe.”

“I found my way back, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, grouchy as ever. What an improvement.” Isabell said sarcastically.

Daryl scoffed.

“Sorry.”

“Mhm.”

Isabell waited another moment, before continuing. “It’s curious. I haven’t seen you like that since Merle was around.” She waited, wondering what Daryl had to say about it. When he didn’t, she went on. “I know you’re still messed up about how we lost him, but - ”

“I saw him.” Daryl said, interrupting her. “I ain’t sure if it was ‘cause of the heat or all in my head or what.”

“You saw who?”

“Merle.”

Isabell sighed. “He’s gone.” She insisted. “You know that, right?”

“Yeah. ‘At’s why I’m not sure what happened.” Daryl took a breath. “Merle, he kept telling me that it wasn’t worth it to come back. I’d be better on my own. I am better on my own. There was a lot of fightin’ him on it, and I almost didn’t come back. But I told you I would.”

Isabell bit her lip, pondering the fact that Daryl might not have come back willingly. “I’m glad ya did.”

“Good.”

“We good?” Isabell asked.

“Yeah.”

Isabell smiled and pushed herself off of her cot and joined Daryl on his. Isabell sighed when Daryl kissed her forehead.

“I love ya.” he said.

“Me, too.”

!@#$#@!

Not realizing they had fallen asleep, Daryl and Isabell woke up an hour later to the slam of the metal gate to the fence. Isabell sat up at the sound of Maggie’s voice.

“Hey!” Maggie shouted. “We got your stuff!”

“Maggie, hand on. Please.” Glenn was following behind her, begging her to stop.

Isabell looked out the see-through mesh window to observe the scene.

“Wha’s that?” Daryl asked groggily.

“Maggie and Glenn are back from their run.”

“Why?” Maggie asked Glenn. “Nothing to hide. We got your special delivery right here.” There was a thump like things were falling to the ground. “Got your lotion. Got your conditioner. Your soap opera digest.”

“Maggie!” Lori gasped, wishing that she would talk quieter.

“Next time you want something, get it your damn self! We’re not your errand boys.” Maggie stressed.

Isabell watched as Lori took a step forward to calm Maggie down.

Maggie leaned down and picked something from the dirt throwing it at the older woman. “And here’s your abortion pills.”

“Abortion pills?” Daryl asked, looking to Isabell.

Isabell sighed. “Sorta out now, innit?”

“What is?”

“Glenn told me this morning that she’s pregnant.”

“Lori?” he asked, earning a nod from Isabell. Daryl scoffed. “Shane’s gonna have some explaining to do.”

“You think it’s Shane?” Isabell questioned.

“Wouldn’t doubt it. Them two were like bunnies back at the quarry.”

Isabell laughed quietly. “Yeah, you told me that.”

“Well, at least she’ll get rid of it.”

“Yeah.” Isabell said, thinking about her own baby.

“Look, Izzy, I know whatcha thinkin’. But think about it, really. How far do you think we’ll get with a fuckin’ baby screamin’ it’s head off.”

“If it’s anything like Harley was, there wouldn’t be a problem.”

“Iz, c’mon. The baby’s a shit thing to have.”

“No. I know.” Isabell agreed. “It’s just sad. Considerin’ - ”

“I know.” He said quickly. “You don’t have ta remind me. ‘Cause I’m thinkin’ about the same things as you.”

“It just wasn’t right.” Isabell said, unsure if she was talking to Daryl or herself. “Timing is everything.”

!@#$#@!

The next morning, Isabell woke up late to an empty tent and the smell of food. She groaned and sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Isabell stretched her arms over her head and rolled herself off of the cot, collecting her shoes and putting them on. She left the tent and moved another fold up chair up next to Daryl.

Daryl passed his plate of food onto Isabell.

Isabell shook her head. “I’m not hungry.”

“Yes, ya are.” Daryl insisted, moving closer to whisper to her. “I heard your stomach all night.” Daryl pushed the plate to her again. “I had my share already.”

Isabell smiles at him, thankful, and takes the plate. She looks around the campfire, noticing that everybody is strangely quiet. Isabell sighed.

Glenn gets up from his seat and moves so that he has everyone in his sights. He looked nervous. “Um, guys…” He said, gaining everyone’s attention.

Daryl slouched in his seat, taking a pinch of eggs from the plate in Isabell’s lap.

Isabell playfully stabbed his hand with her fork.

Glenn clears his throat. “So…” He pauses. “The barn is full of walkers.”

Isabell swallowed the bite that she had in her mouth and continued to stare down at her plate. Little warning that you were gonna spill the beans woulda been nice. She thought.

“The hell you just say?” Daryl says after a moment.

“Daryl.” Isabell warned.

“Where?” Rick demands.

Glenn hesitates, wringing his hands.

“Glenn, which barn?” The sheriff asked again.

Glenn looked behind him at the barn, not giving Rick a verbal answer.

Rick pushed himself off of his chair. The others quickly followed him over to the barn Glenn had gestured to.

Shane angrily peeked in through the cracks in the door. His fears were confirmed as he glanced inside. Shane turned away angrily, standing next to Rick. “You can’t tell me you’re alright with this.” He glowered at his friend.

“No, I’m not.” Rick stressed. “But we’re guests here. This isn’t our land.”

“This is our lives, man!”

“Lower your voice.” Glenn hissed.

“We can’t just sweep this under the rug.” Andrea said.

“It ain’t right.” Shane complained to Rick. “Not remotely. Okay, we’ve either got to go in there; we’ve got to make things right. Or we’ve just got to go.”

“Where are we supposed to go?” Isabell asked.

“We’ve been talking about Fort Benning for a long time.”

“We can’t go.” Rick stressed.

“Why, Rick?” Shane asked. “Why?”

Carol’s lip trembled. “Because my daughter is still out there.”

Shane covered his mouth and laughed quietly. He couldn’t believe that everyone still had hope for the kid. “Okay, I think it’s time that we all start to just consider the other possibility.”

“There is no other possibility, Shane.” Isabell told him. “Sophia is alive, and we’ll find her. We’re not leavin’ her behind.”

“I’m close to finding this girl.” Daryl supported. “I just found her damn dol a few days ago.”

“You found her doll, Daryl.” Shane clarified. “That’s what you did. You found a damn doll.

Daryl takes a couple steps up to Shane. “Man, you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.” he threatened.

Isabell and Rick work themselves so they stand in between Daryl and Shane, trying to stop a physical fight.

“I’m just saying what needs to be said, here!” Shane defended.

Isabell pushes Daryl, not being able to move him with his stance. “Daryl, let it go. You know, better than me, we ain’t leavin’.”

Shane continued to argue his case. “Now, you get a good lead, it’s in the first forty-eight hours.”

“Shane, stop!” Rick shouted.

“Let me tell you somethin’ else, man.” Shane said. “If she was alive out there, and she saw you comin’ all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction.”

Isabell took a deep breath. “I have had enough of you runnin’ yer mouth.” She said, before quickly turning herself towards Shane, meeting her fist with his face.

Shane recovered quickly, and pushed Isabell backwards, making her fall to the ground.

Daryl became angry at Shane’s contact with Isabell and charged to punch the other man himself.

Carol rushed to Isabell’s side to help her up out of the dirt.

The sheriff quickly forced Shane and Daryl apart, not letting them attack each other. “Back off!” He shouted at Shane.

Isabell put her hand around Daryl’s arm to stop him, and hold him back.

Lori did the same to Shane which didn’t make him happy and he told her to stop trying to hold him back.

“Just let me talk to Hershel.” Rick insisted, directing his statement at not only Shane, but at the entire group. “Let me figure it out.”

“What are you gonna figure out?!” Shane asked.

“If we’re gonna stay, if we’re gonna clear this barn, I have to talk Hershel into it. This is his land.”

Dale took a step forward. “Hershel sees those things in there as people.” He stated. “Sick people. His wife and his - his stepson are in there.”

Rick looked to Dale with a furrowed brow. “You knew?”

Dale nodded. “Yesterday I talked to Hershel.”

“And you waited the night?” Shane asked, stepping to Dale.

“I thought we could survive one more night. We did. I was waiting until this morning to say something, but Glenn wanted to be the one.”

Shane shook his head before looking to Rick again. “The man is crazy, Rick, whether Hershel thinks those things are alive or not.”

Isabell looked to the doors as all the noise from the arguing started to attract the walkers. They started to push against the doors, wanting to get out. The blonde let her breath go, knowing that they were stuck in the barn.

Daryl looked to Isabell, noticing her paranoia. “Come to think.” He said quietly. “You didn’t seem so surprised about the walkers, neither.”

“‘Cause I knew. I talked Glenn into telling me the other day.”

Daryl furrowed his brow and wiped his forehead of sweat. “Ya didn’t tell me?”

“I knew you would so something about it. And we can’t exactly afford that right now.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do.” Isabell stressed. “‘Cause I know you.” She smiled a little bit, shaking her head. “We’d lasted this long. Another couple days for Glenn to admit up to it wouldn’t have caused us any harm.”

Daryl scoffed and stalked off towards the horse’s stables.

Isabell sighed, watching him leave. She turned back towards the fight between Rick and Shane that seemed to disperse. The blonde pushed her hair out of her face.

Carol noticed her struggle and approached Isabell, watching after Daryl. “Is everything okay?” She asked softly.

“No, but it’s just Daryl being Daryl. Nothing I can’t deal with.” Isabell looked to Carol. “At least after he cools down.”

“He’s stressed.” Carol assumed. “With the walkers and Sophia missing…”

“I know.” Isabell stopped her. “But, right now, he won’t listen to me. I know that he’s trying hard to find her. And I know he’s trying to look after me, and even you. But he’s not okay.”

Carol shrugged. “Maybe I can talk to him.”

Isabell laughed once and rolled her eyes. “You can try.”

The older woman showed Isabell a small smile and headed towards the stables.

“Good luck!” Isabell called to her.

!@#$#@!

Nine Years Earlier.


“Harley!” Isabell called to her child. “Baby girl, look at Momma.” Isabell smiled holding a camera up to her face to take a picture of her child. She laughed at the small girl, sitting in a high chair with a chocolate cupcake sitting in front of her.

Harley smiled and laughed loudly at her mother.

“Happy birthday, Harley.” Isabell cooed, smiling.

Daryl stood next to the high chair, pushing the cupcake more towards his daughter. “Go on, then. Dig in, baby girl.”

Isabell snapped another picture with Daryl smiling down at Harley.

“Will you cool it with the photos?” Daryl complained.

Isabell shook her head. “C’mon, D. Someday when she’s not this small anymore, yer gonna wish I took more.”

“Yea, but I don’ need ta be in ‘em.”

“Sure you do.” Isabell insisted. “If anything, I need ya in ‘em. I never wanna forget your face when you see yer daughter do this.”

Daryl furrowed his brow, looking to Isabell. “Do what?”

Isabell flicked her head to her daughter, motioning for Daryl to look at her.

Daryl turned his head, back to Harley. Just as he had, Harley slammed her hand down into the middle of her cupcake, splattering much of the cupcake all over here. “Aw, Harls!” Daryl said, wiping a tiny bit of cupcake off that had landed on his shirt. “Yer supposed to eat it, not play with it.”

“She’s a baby and it’s her birthday. Just let her do it.” Isabell said, laughing.

“Will ya keep it down!” a male voice called from the hallway. “Jesus Christ.”

Isabell looked up from her daught seeing Merle come around the corner. “Shut up, Merle.” Isabell said, earning a scoff from the older Dixon brother. “Don’t you wanna wish your niece a happy birthday?”

Harley continued to play with her cupcake, licking some of the icing off of her tiny fingers, ignoring the adults.

“Its ‘er birthday?” Merle asked, looking to his brother. “Wha’s all this for then? Wha’s the big deal?”

“Whatchu mean?” Daryl asked.

“You know we never celebrated shit like this.”

“Not in front of Harley, Merle.” Isabell chastised.

“What?” Merle questioned. “She don’t know what I’m sayin’.”

Daryl shook his head. “Just don’t curse with my kid around.”

Merle scoffed again, heading towards the door. “Look. It’s just a kid. It’s just a birthday. Ain’t no goddamn big deal.” He said before slamming the door.

Isabell sighed. “Those are the kinda family memories we don’t need to remember.” She snapped, walking towards her daughter and picking her up from the chair. “C’mon, baby. Let’s go get a bath.”

“Izzy, you know there’s nothing I can do about him. He’s my brother.” Daryl said.

“I know.” Isabell responded, walking towards the bathroom. “I just wish he’d control himself. Harley’s gettin’ impressionable.”

“Momma!” Harley squealed, pointing towards the tub.

Isabell smiled and grabbed her daughter’s hand, nodding. She sat on the toilet and reached to turn the faucet on.

“He just don’t get it.” Daryl pressed. “He knows we had it bad, but he don’t wanna admit it coulda been better.”

Isabell sighed, holding Harley in her lap, kissing the top of her head.

“But Harley isn’t gonna have it like us. I’ll talk to ‘im.” Daryl relented.

The blonde hugged her child tightly, nodding. “You better.”