Fighter

~217

Isabell had packed up most of the her and Daryl’s stuff from their outside camp. She turned to Carol wondering how far she had gotten. Isabell knew it wouldn’t have taken her too long. As soon as they gathered what bags they could on their shoulders, the two women began their trek back to the main camp.

On their arrival back to the house, Isabell noticed that those who went out to check the fences with Daryl had returned. Isabell smiled and made her way over to him, Carol following behind with a couple bags.

Daryl took the bag from Isabell that held their tent and slung it over his free shoulder. “You get everythin’?” He asked.

Isabell shook her head “Nah. The bike is still there. Another bag and the traps we placed are out there, too. We didn’t have enough hands, but Carol and I got what we could.”

Daryl glanced at Carol. He nodded at her and held out his arm to take the bags that she was carrying. “Thanks.” Daryl mumbled.

Carol shook her head. “I got it.” Carol looked to Isabell. “You want it back in your old spot?”

Isabell turned her head to face Carol and nodded. “Thanks, Carol.”

“No problem.” The woman said. “I’m just glad to have y’all back.” Carol left the two to drop the bags in the spot where their tent used to be.

Isabell gestured to Daryl “You wanna set up the tent or go get the bike?”

Hershel came up next to the two and walked between them. “Before you two start unpacking, I got a proposition for ya.” The old man continued on towards Rick, who had been standing by the blue truck behind them.

Isabell furrowed her brow, following Hershel’s steps. Both her and Daryl dropped what they were carrying and moved closer to the rest of the group.

Hershel, his daughters, Rick and Shane were standing in a circle near the truck.

“It’s getting colder now.” Hershel was saying when the approached. “I’ve been thinking about it for a while and after discussing it with my family, we wanted to offer you our home.” He looked to Rick. “You can stay inside, out of the cold.”

Isabell smiled and glanced back at Daryl.

Daryl flicked his head back to Rick.

“It’d be tight.” Rick said. “Fifteen people in one house.”

“Don’t worry about that.” Hershel insisted. “We can make it work. With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up…”

“And fifty head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing the damn dinner bell.” Maggie pointed out.

“She’s right.” Hershel agreed. “We should have moved you in a while ago.”

Isabell leaned against the side of the truck, behind Rick. “Are we really doing this?” She asked the sheriff.

Rick nodded, turning to look at her. “Seems like it.” He smiled at her. “Alright, let’s move the vehicles near each of the doors, facing out towards the road. We’ll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft.” Rick explained. “That should give us sightlines on both sides of the property.” Rick stopped T-Dog as he passed. “T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going.”

“What about standing guard?”

“I need you and Daryl,” Rick said, pointing to Daryl, “on double duty.”

Daryl nodded.

“We just got a few more things out there we need ta bring in. Shouldn’t take but ten minutes, T.” Isabell told the man.

“Gotcha.” He said, walking from the group.

Daryl nudged Isabell with his elbow. “Ima go get the stuff.”

Isabell nodded. “I guessed. I’ll be here.” She smiled at him before he started his walk back to the old camp.

“I’ll stock the basement with food and water. Enough that we can all survive there a few days if need be.” Herself said.

Andrea stepped forward. “What about patrols?”

“Let’s get this area locked down first. After that, Shane’ll assign shifts while me and Daryl take Randall offsite and cut him loose.” Rick looked to Isabell, wondering if that was something Daryl would consider doing. “Think Daryl’ll be okay with that?”

Isabell nodded to Rick. “I’m sure he’ll do it. Anything I can do?”

“Just work on gettin’ us all moved inside.”

Isabell walked away, getting a few things to load into the bed of the truck. After a small while of moving things into the house, Isabell heard Daryl came back with his motorcycle. She looked over at him and groaned, realizing that he hadn’t grabbed the last bag or the traps. Isabell would have to go get them herself later.

Andrea loaded one last box into the bed and closed the tailgate.

Shane started the vehicle, drove it closer to the house and parked it.

Isabell walked back with Rick and Hershel, walking beside the old man. The motorcycle behind her revved and she looked back at Daryl with a smile.

“I see why you’re not taking Shane with you.” Hershel said to Rick, taking Isabell’s attention away from Daryl. “Just know I’ve got no more patience where he’s concerned.”

Isabell scoffed. “Not sure many of us do.”

“He’s turning over a new leaf.” Rick promised.

Hershel passed the sheriff a disbelieving look.

Rick nodded his head, relenting. “Andrea.” He called, as she was walking a few paces ahead of them.

The blonde stopped and turned back, waiting for them to catch up.

“When I’m out with Daryl, help Hershell keep an eye on things around here.” Rick told her as they caught up to Andrea.

The blonde got in step next to Rick. “Me?”

“Shane’s got a way of letting things get out of hand.” Rick explained. “Especially when he’s all torqued up.”

“I think we’re all a bit torqued up at this point.” Andrea countered.

“If you’re staying here permanently, he’s got to understand that it’s what Rick and I say. Not what he wants.” Hershel told her.

“You’ve become close.” Rick pointed out.

“We talk.” Andrea’s steps stopped, wondering where the conversation was going.

“Then you know he’s not a bad guy. He’s just his own worst enemy.”

“And all of ours.” Isabell said under her breath.

Hershel was the only one to hear her. He looked back at her with his brow raised and she shrugged at him.

“You want me to babysit Shane?” Andrea asked Rick.

Rick sighed. “I need to make sure every time I leave the farm all hell doesn’t break loose.”

“Then maybe you should stop leaving.”

Isabell cleared her throat. “If blondie doesn’t want to do it, I will.”

Rick looked behind him to Isabell.

“I’m done taking any shit from Shane. I could help keep him in check when you’re gone.”

Andrea pursed her lips at Isabell. “Of course you would.”

Isabell raised her brows to Andrea. “You wanna start?”

“What about the both of you? I could use all the help I can get when it comes to Shane.”

Andrea rolled her eyes, then continued towards the house.

Rick’s eyes followed Andrea. “Will you keep an eye on things?”

“Of course.” Andrea said.

Rick looked back to Isabell and nodded to her.

“We’ll take care of it.” Isabell promised.

Rick finished his walk to the house.

Hershel and Isabell stayed still for another few minutes, enjoying the weather.

Isabell looked to the doctor. “Do you think you’re going to regret this?”

Hershel faced the blonde.

“Helping out Shane’s cause, I mean. He doesn’t have much more going for him, but Rick keeps singing his praises.”

“I’ve been given second chances. I’ve been given third and fourth chances.” Hershel told Isabell.

“You’re still trying to do the godly thing?”

“More or less.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to bite you in the ass.” Isabell said. “If it were me, he’d’ve been gone a long time ago.” She took back up her walk to the house. On her way, Isabell picked up her bags from the campground. She went into the house, not remembering it being so small, especially with all the bodies and bags that were now occupying the main room. Isabell looked to her right, seeing that the corner closest to the front door was still open so she quickly put her bag in it.

Carol came up to her. “I figured you and Daryl would want it, so I told the others so.” The woman said, gaining Isabell’s full attention. “Personally, I would have gone after that corner.” Carol turned her head to another open corner. “It’s bigger.”

Isabell smiled at Carol. “Thanks, but this one’s fine. Daryl and I don’t need much space.” She sighed, and looked around the room. “Is there anything you need help with?”

“No.” Carol shook her head. “We’re just trying to get this organized.” She gestured to the mess being created in the room. “Shouldn’t you?”

Isabell shrugged. “We don’t really like to unpack. Especially, if things start getting too comfortable. Just in case.”

Carol nodded.

Isabell noticed Lori walk into the house, carrying a backpack and decided to offer her help. “I’ll see you in a bit.” She walked over to the brunette, following Lori as she walked towards the stairs. “Need any help?”

Lori dropped her bag momentarily and looked at Isabell for a moment. She turned in her spot, trying to gauge what else she needed done. “Would you mind keepin’ an eye on Carl? I gotta go talk to Shane.”

Isabell nodded. “I will.” She smiled

“Thanks.”

Isabell made her way out of the house in search of the boy. Her job was made easy when she saw Carl heading in her direction. Isabell jogged to catch up to him. “Hey, bud.” She said, as they met. “You wanna hang out with me for a bit? Maybe play some checkers?”

Carl barely acknowledged her and continues to hurry towards the house.

Isabell followed him. “Where are you off to in such a rush?”

The boy remained quiet.

“Carl, hey!”

He still wouldn’t stop.

“Carl, talk to me.” Isabell said, gently grabbing his arm to stop him.

“Leave me alone!” Carl shouted in her face.

Isabell slowed to a stop, quitting in her attempts to talk to the boy. She furrowed her brow, watching as the kid hurried into the house and slammed the screen door shut. Isabell huffed out a large breath, shaking her head. She had decided to blow it off as nothing more than a sadness the boy had.

Carl had been through a lot lately. Losing his best friend. Now Dale. Maybe it was just him lashing out about it all.

!@#$#@!

The day was going slowly as Isabell didn’t have much to do. She made a few rounds around the house, completing small tasks people asked of her. Isabell kept watch on Carl, even though he mostly stayed in the same spot the whole time. She had found the boy sitting lookout in the perch above the barn shortly after he ran into the house. Isabell sighed, holding a hand over her eyes, blocking the sun from shining in them.

Carl watched his boots swaying as they hung over the edge.

“That poor kid.” Isabell said aloud to herself. She turned her head at the sound of a whistle. Isabell glanced to the side of the white house, seeing Rick huddled over a map and Daryl standing next to him, waving her over. She approached them, climbing the small set of stairs and standing in front of Daryl.

Daryl leaned against the banister, nodding to her.

“Take him out to Senoia.” Rick was saying. “Hour there, hour back. Give or take. We may lose the light, but we’ll be halfway home by then.”

“Y’all plannin’ to take Randall out today?”

Rick nodded.

“Yeah.” Daryl agreed. “Then this little pain in the ass will be a distant memory. Good riddance.”

Isabell thought for a second. “You just gonna leave him somewhere? Or you gonna give him a fightin’ chance.”

Rick started to fold up his map. “Carol’s putting together some provisions for him. Enough to last a few days.

A car approaching got all three of their attentions and they noticed it was Shane.

Isabell’s eyes flicked to Daryl.

“That thing you did last night…” Rick trialed off, talking to Daryl.

“Ain’t no reason you should do all the heavy liftin’.” Daryl explained his reasoning.

Isabell nodded, agreeing. “I know I’m not the one who pulled the trigger, but we’re here to help, Rick. In any way that we can.”

Rick looked to Isabell.

“We wanna help.”

“Good to know.” Rick’s eyes flashed to the car as Shane parked it in the grass in front of them. “So, you good with all this?” He asked, holding up the map towards Daryl.

“I don’t see you and I tradin’ haymakers on the side of the road.” Daryl offered. “Nobody’d win that fight.” He took the map from Rick, unfolding it once to see where it was at.

Shane got out of his car and started to head towards the three of them.

Once Daryl noticed Shane’s direction, he changed his mind about sitting around. “I’m gonna take a piss.” He stands from the banister and approaches Isabell. Daryl tugs the hem of her shirt.

Isabell shook her head. “I’ll catch up with you in a bit.”

“You sure?” He asked, his eyes glancing towards Shane.”

“I’ll be fine.” Isabell promised.

Daryl nodded once and walked off.

Shane stopped in the grass in front of the two. “Hey, man, you seen Carl lately?”

“He’s inside with his mother.”

Isabell narrowed her eyes at Rick. “How often do you two check in with your kid? He’s keepin’ watch in the barn.”

Shane’s eyes shot to Isabell and then back at Rick.

“You can say what you need to.” Rick said to his deputy.

“Especially if it’s about Carl.” Isabell stressed.

“Look, he came to me.” Shane said, hardly acknowledging Isabell. “Okay, I wasn’t supposed to say anything, but he was out in the swamps yesterday and he came across a walker stuck in the mud.” He told them. “He got scared, ran off.”

“The same walker that killed Dale?” Rick asked.

“That’s the one.”

Isabell sighed. “That’s why he’s in such a foul mood today.”

“I’ll have Lori talk to him.” Rick said.

“Look, I think - ” Shane paused, wondering if he should cross the line he was about to. “I think he wants to talk to his father.”

“Well, I need this Randall thing done already.”

“Man, that needs to wait, okay?” Shane insisted.

Isabell looked to Rick as the sheriff took in a deep, angry breath.

“It’s my call.” Rick said to Shane.

“How about I ride out with Daryl?” Shane offered. “Be good for us to spend a little time together.” He glanced between Rick and Isabell, waiting for an answer.

Isabell crossed her arms over her chest. “I don’t much like that idea.”

Rick looked to her and saw her firm stance. He agreed nodding his head. “And I need you here.”

Shane nodded. “Don’t think I’ll handle it right, huh?”

“Didn’t say that.” Rick responded quickly.

“I might.” Isabell said quietly, going unnoticed.

“What you say?” Shane asked Rick.

Rick couldn’t answer.

Shane shook his head, reaching into the back waistband of his jeans. “You know, your son - he gave me this.” Shane set a handgun down on the banister.

Isabell furrowed her brow, recognizing the gun as Daryl’s. “Why do you have that?” She asked, accusingly.

Shane glared at her. “I just said. Carl had it. You should get it back to your man, huh?” He nodded. Shane started to bounce on his feet and turn around anxiously. “Freein’ that prisoner…” He laughed, “More important than Carl?” Shane turned back towards the car and left the two alone.

Rick stood, watching Shane leave.

Isabell kept her eyes on the sheriff next to her. “He’s wrong you know.” she said to Rick. “You wantin’ Randall gone is the same thing as protecting Carl. Makes Carl damn important.”

Rick nodded, not looking to her. “You should get the gun back to Daryl.”

Isabell shook her head. “Nah.” She picked up the gun. “He doesn’t use guns much anymore. Loves on his crossbow too hard.” Isabell joked. “Give it back to Carl.” She held the weapon out to Rick.

Rick took it in his hand.

“Go talk to him.” Isabell said. “Randall can wait a little bit longer for you to talk to your kid.”

“He thinks Dale’s death is his fault.” Rick inferred.

“Then it’s your job to tell him that it’s not. Make him believe that it’s not his fault.”

Rick shook his head. “It’s not easy.”

“No, it’s not.” Isabell agreed. “You need to be real with him about it. You gotta stop sugar coating shit for him. You and Lori. The world isn’t what we had as kids. It is ten kinds of fucked up and Carl should know that.” Isabell insisted. “He’s not a kid anymore. He doesn’t have time ta be. Not yet.”

Rick looked to Isabell finally. “That what you and Daryl woulda done? With Harley?”

Isabell let out a long breath at the mention of her child’s name. “Yeah. We’d’ve been a bit tougher on her. But you gotta remember, Harley grew up tough. She grew up huntin’ and doin’ the things Carl’s just now learnin’.”

“You still let her be a kid though?” Rick asked, wanting to be sure.

Isabell smiled, placing her elbows on the banister and leaning on it to look out into the fields. “‘Course we did. She was a hell of a kid. No way was I gonna let my little girl grow up like I did.”

“I don’t think anybody ever wants that.”

Isabell shook her head, realizing Rick really didn’t know the truth. “Daryl and I, though. We had it real bad. I think we made up for it with Harley.”

Rick nodded. “She was a good kid, then?”

Isabell nodded. “Best I ever saw. Even with jackass Uncle Merle around.” She laughed. “She always knew that anything Merle ever did, was the wrong thing to do.”

Rick laughed at that.

“Didn’t have a mean bone in her body, my Harley.”

Rick paused for a moment. “I’m sorry I never got the chance to meet her.”

Isabell looked up at him, nodding. “Me, too. She, Carl… and Sophia, they woulda been great friends.” She thought. Isabell cleared her throat and stood up straight. “Now, go talk to yer boy. I got somethin’ I gotta take care of.”

Rick nodded. “Thank you.”

“Anytime.” Isabell promised, walking away. The girl found herself walking towards her and Daryl’s old campsite. Isabell needed to get the last bag and a couple traps Daryl had forgotten when he retrieved the bike. The traps being so far away from the house weren’t exactly worth the walk, but they could find new places for them closer to the house.

Isabell took a look around the camp, trying to remember where she had set the bag. She found it leaning against a tree and scoffed. Isabell was surprised that Daryl would have left this bag. It was the bag they kept the pictures of Harley in, safe and buried deeply between a few times of her clothing that Daryl had kept all these months.

Isabell sat herself against the tree, putting the bag in her lap. She took out the pictures, trying once again to memorize the face, wishing she could see it again. Isabell took a deep breath, tracing a finger along her daughter’s brown hair. Probably the one look from Daryl that Harley had in her. Much of Daryl’s personality was balled up into the little girl, which gave Isabell a couple of fun people to live with.

Harley had the good parts of each of them. She was smart and courageous, strong and compassionate. Harley really was the beautiful product of Isabell and Daryl.

Isabell sighed. “Harls, you should know we’re safe.” She said aloud, still not sure if she believed Harley could hear her somehow. “Your dad and I. We’re okay and we’ve got people behind us. People I’d do anything for and people who’d do the same for us.” Isabell promised. “But you know your dad, stubborn as all hell. It’ll take him a good long while until he realizes he does care.” The blonde shook her head, feeling tears grow in her eyes. “I miss you, baby girl.” Isabell laughed quietly when she realized what she had said. “Even now, I can hear you say that you’re not a baby anymore.” Isabell stuffed the picture back into the backpack and leaned her head against the tree. “I love you, Harley.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I really have no excuse.

How are you guys liking the new season? If you’re watching, that is. I’ve been hearing good and bad things. People are saying it’s overrated now or whatever, but I’m still in love.

Thanks to miss-cabill-teller for commenting that last chapter. You are fantastic.

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter and what you may want to see in the future. I have a habit of sometimes steering my story towards what y’all want because I can be awesome and flexible like that. Ask me questions, tell me what you want to know. I literally have no life, so I will answer them!

Thanks for the support!