Fighter

~219

~219 ~ 4061

Six Years Earlier….


Isabell and Daryl liked to say that they worked hard to live their life. While it was always unclear to Isabell how Daryl made money by hunting, it gave a lot. Still Isabell needed to do stuff for herself. She needed to earn her own life for her and Harley. So while Daryl stayed home during the week, watching Harley and tending to their animals, Isabell worked two jobs on weekdays. In the morning, she ran a register at a nearby quick shop, then heading to the local diner to wait tables until nightfall.

Isabell liked to work as much as she did. She’d work all day, but be able to give her daughter all that she never had. Having work during the week, Isabell would be able to spend all weekend with Harley while Daryl was hunting or doing whatever he really did on the weekends. She felt little need to ask questions about Daryl’s money as long as he kept Harley fed and housed. Isabell didn’t care enough to know where his money actually came from.

Though she had to admit, after Isabell came home from a long day of work, all she wanted to do was spend time with her small family. One night in particular was extremely tough and she’d wanted to cuddle on the couch with her daughter and watch the stupid cartoons Isabell knew Harley loved.

All that changed when she walked in the door and heard Daryl’s brother’s laugh booming throughout the entire house.

Isabell groaned internally, closing the door and leaning against it. Of all nights, Merle had to be in her house, he chose this one.

“Mama!” Harley’s voice shouted. “Mama, Mama, Mama!” The voice shook as the little girl bounded towards the front door.

Isabell sighed, shaking off her frustration and putting on a happy face for her child. She crouched to her knees and Harley came around the corner. “Hi there, baby girl!” Isabell cheered, holding out her arms.

Harley had a toy in her hand, but she jumped right into Isabell’s awaiting arms. “Mama!” She pushed herself away from her mother. “Merle’s here!”

Isabell feigned surprise. “He is?”

“Yeah! Come on, I’ll show you!” Harley said, getting out of Isabell’s grasp and then grabbing ahold of her hand, leading her into the living room.

Merle was crouched on the ground, back facing them as they entered the room.

Isabell narrowed her eyes at the back of the man’s head. “Merle.” She said with a slight attitude.

Merle turned his head. “Hey, Blondie.” He said with the raspy tone in his voice.

“What are you doin’ here?”

“Hangin’ out with my baby brother.” Merle shared, getting to his feet and facing Isabell.

Isabell looked around the room, not seeing Daryl anywhere. “Okay,” she said slowly. “So where is he and why are you in here with my daughter?”

Merle scoffed. “Daryl’s out mendin’ things. Chickens or somethin’ like that.” He looked down at the toy he’d been knelt down in front of. “Plus, I decided to give the little tyke a birthday present.” Merle pointed to the plastic target that was set up.

This made Isabell look to her daughter. The toy she was holding earlier, Isabell now clearly saw as a bow. “What the…” Isabell trailed off, glancing to her daughter.

Harley was looking up at her mother with wide eyes and a large smile.

Isabell took heated steps towards Merle. “What the hell is that?”

“Take a chill pill, Blondie. It’s plastic and suction cups.” Merle shook off.

“You got my daughter a bow and arrow set?”

“Yeah.”

“For her birthday? That was two months ago?”

Merle laughed. “Well, I’ll admit that I’m a little late, but I know I’ve been a real shit uncle.”

Isabell slapped Merle’s chest with the back of her hand.

“Jesus, Iz.”

“Don’t cuss in front of my child.” Isabell seethed.

“Alright, da - ” Merle stopped himself when he saw Isabell’s hard look. “Alright. I’ll take it easy on the language if you’ll watch it with the hits.”

Isabell raised her brow to Merle, wishing silently that he was just disappear.

“Look, just let the little one have her fun.” Merle begged.

“I thought you couldn’t stand the idea of ‘Baby Brother’ havin’ a kid.”

“Then I ‘membered she was a Dixon.” Merle said, showing Isabell a proud smile.

Isabell took a deep breath and took a couple steps away from Merle.

Harley looked at her mother and then to her uncle expectantly.

“Well, c’mon then.” Merle encouraged Harley. “Show yer Mama whatcha got.”

Harley’s smile grew, the dimples in her cheeks showing up. She went to grab one of the arrows and lined it up in the plastic bow. Harley aimed at the target and shot off the arrow. The arrow landed almost right in the middle, only off by half an inch. Harley celebrated her shot with a fit of giggles.

Isabell smiled down at her daughter. Her daughter was definitely a Dixon and Isabell couldn’t deny that for a second. “Well, what do you have to say to Uncle Merle?”

“Thanks, Uncle Merle!” Harley squealed running herself towards him and wrapping her arms around his legs in a hug.

Isabell examined the two, curiously.

Merle looked a little shocked by the action, but he recovered and looked down at the child. He picked Harley up, under her arms, and lifted her into the air. “Alright, there, Ace. Just promise me that yer gonna keep on with it.”

“Yeah!” Harley promised. “I’m gonna be the best shot you ever saw!”

Isabell’s ears perked at the sound of the back door opening and closing.

“Izzy?” Daryl’s voice called through the house.

“Living room.”

Daryl appeared just a second later, clothes all mucked up from tending to the small selection of animals the couple had. “Hey.” He said shyly.

“Merle’s here.” Isabell said even though she knew that Daryl was well aware of his brother’s presence.

“Yeah.” Daryl looked to his brother, holding Harley in his arms. He was just as confused at the sight as Isabell was, and she’d seen how that happened. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Just winnin’ over yer family, baby brother.” Merle responded with his shit-eating grin. “Tell ya one thing. I had my doubts ‘bout this one bein’ yers. But seein’ her shoot…” Merle said, taking the plastic bow from Harley’s hand and using it to point to the target on the ground. “Ain’t no way she’s not.”

“Daryl, can I talk to ya for a sec?” Isabell asked, earning a small nod from Daryl.

Daryl knew that he might have a load of trouble coming his way. He meant to give Isabell a call about Merle, but time got away. “We’ll be back.” Daryl said to his brother.

“Try not to corrupt my child.” Isabell ordered.

Merle nodded and set the child down. “Try one more again.”

Isabell led Daryl to his bedroom. She’d been staying in there some nights, but still hadn’t been able to call it their bedroom.

Daryl closed the door behind them and looked to Isabell, waiting for her to start.

“Can you change first?” Isabell asked. “I really don’t need you muckin’ up my house more than you have.”

Daryl nodded and started to change out of the dirty clothes.
Isabell nodded her head at the archer’s silence and sat down on the bed, watching him. “‘Hey, Iz, I meant to tell ya, but Merle’s comin’ over. Sorry ‘bout that.’” She joked with a brow raised at Daryl.

“Well, I did mean to.” Daryl insisted, pulling a clean shirt on.

Isabell sighed. “How long?” she asked.

“For what?”

“How long do you want him to stay?”

Daryl pursed his lips, staring at Isabell. Somehow it still eluded him that she knew him so well. He shrugged. “Few weeks?”

Isabell thought for a moment, not meeting Daryl’s eyes.

“I know he ain’t yer favorite. But he’s family.”

Isabell nodded. “We’ll see.”

One corner of Daryl’s mouth turned up, showing the blonde a smile.

“One question.” Isabell insisted, getting a nod from Daryl. “Did you tell him to bring Harley a birthday present?”

Daryl shook his head. “Nah. Figured he wouldn’t if I did.”

Isabell nodded. “Okay. He can stay.”

!@#$#@!

Present Day….


Isabell had lost track of how long they’d been driving for. It was starting to get light out as the dusk settled in. She was surprised Maggie’s car had this much gas in it. It hadn’t been but around two or three when everything had gone down back at the farm. When she had lost track of Daryl. When Glenn had made her leave with them instead of making sure that Daryl was okay.

There were trees all around them and Isabell wasn’t quite sure where they were. She could tell that Maggie was slowly on her way to a panic attack. Glenn trying to figure out where they were going to go. And Isabell was trying so very hard not to punch Glenn in the face.

Maggie continued to stare out the windshield of the car, slightly rocking back and forth and shaking as the car drove over the rough terrain. “Oh, my God.” She kept repeating.

Glenn was trying to keep her calm. “Alright, let’s just - ” He paused, thinking. “Let’s just circle back to the highway.”

“Did you see my dad?” Maggie asked, eyes glancing from the road to the rearview mirror. “Did - Did he make it?” She questioned again, looking to Glenn. “Did you see?”

“I couldn’t see anything.”

“We didn’t stick around long enough to see anything.” Isabell snapped.

“Isabell.” Glenn chastised.
Isabell scoffed, turning her full attention back to the trees outside the car.

“And Beth.” Maggie cried. “I lost Beth. We’ve gotta go back there.”

“You know, I’m with her.” Isabell said.

“We can’t go back, okay?” Glenn said quickly, stressing the fact. “There’s nothing to go back to.”

“But Beth.” Maggie insisted.

Glenn shook his head, trying to recall if he saw anything. “I - I think she was with Lori.”

“Did they make it?”

“I don’t know.”

Maggie seemed like she was going to give up, but she continued to list off her family’s names. “Patricia? Jimmy? What if they didn’t make it?” Maggie asked. “What if nobody made it?”

Isabell swallowed her fear, hoping that wasn’t the case.

“They made it, okay?” Glenn promised. “They had to.” He glanced back at Isabell, and she was sending a glare at him. “Alright, let’s just circle around to the highway where we left supplies for Sophia.”

“No.” Maggie said, shaking her head. By this time, everything was hitting her and she began to cry. “The herd came from that direction.”

Glenn hesitated, not sure about what to do. “Just stop.” Glenn said. “Stop the car.” He repeated the request, waiting for Maggie to oblige. “Let me drive.” Glenn ordered when the car was stopped. He got out of the car and Maggie climbed herself over the center to land in the passenger seat.

Maggie broke out into a deep sob and suddenly Isabell was uncomfortable in the back seat.

“Hey.” Glenn said, repeating himself trying to get Maggie’s attention. “Maggie, look at me.” He waited until he had the brunette’s attention. “We’re alive. We made it. Okay? I’m sure they are, too.”

Maggie nodded, slowing the tears.

“Everyone.” Glenn stressed, turning back to Isabell briefly. “Right?” He asked Maggie.

Maggie just nodded.

“I love you.” Glenn said.

Isabell quickly shrunk back into her seat, no doubt fueled by the awkwardness of being stuck in this moment with the two of them.

“Maggie, I love you.” Glenn’s confession made Maggie stop and just stare at him. “I should have said it a long time ago, and it’s been true for a long time.” Glenn paused, seeing a small smile creep onto Maggie’s face. “We’re gonna be alright, okay? We’ll be alright.”

“Okay.” Maggie said in a quiet voice.

There was a small silence amongst the three of them. Isabell tried to focus on anything but Maggie and Glenn in front of her. They had just had their small moment and it wasn’t hers to intrude on.

Glenn reached for the gear shift and pulled it into drive, driving away from their parked spot in the middle of the road. He drove for a long while before he came across a turn to lead them back to the highway.

Isabell was beginning to feel slightly ill at the motions of Glenn driving. She noticed that he was one that couldn’t just keep straight. He would weave slowly back and forth, almost like he was claiming the entire road for his own. Isabell groaned, rubbing her fingers into her eyes. “Can we stop?” She asked, wishing she didn’t have to.

“Isabell…” Glenn started to argue, but Isabell couldn’t take the funky driving anymore.

“Two seconds or I’m gonna be sick.” Isabell threatened.

Glenn slowed the car and stopped it.

Isabell raised her head, realizing they were, once again, stopped in the middle of the road. She let out a large breath and grabbed her knife before getting out of the vehicle. Isabell stood in the road, feeling the slight morning breeze on her skin. She took deep slow breaths, keeping to her mind. What took Isabell from her safe space, was a loud sound she knew way too well. Her head lifted and in the distance, she saw a motorcycle headed towards them. Isabell let out a large relieved breath. It took everything in her not to run towards it just yet.

The bike stopped a couple yards away. After Carol had gotten herself off, Daryl did too.

Isabell broke into a run. She hurled herself into Daryl’s arms and nearly cried out.

Daryl caught her and held her back just as tightly. His fingertips dug into her skin as he lifted her off of her feet.

Isabell could tell now that she was crying. She laughed at herself for doing so and dug her face into Daryl’s neck.

“Iz, I’m all mucked up.” Daryl said, his voice sounding right in her ear.

Isabell shook her head. “I don’t care.” She said, holding him tightly. “I never care. I’m just glad you’re okay.”

Daryl breathed out a laugh. “Me, too.” He held her for another moment before he noticed that everyone’s eyes were on them. “Hey.” Daryl said, pushing her away. “You’re good, right?”

Isabell nodded. “Glenn locked me in the car when he headed off the farm.”

Daryl sent an appreciative nod to Glenn. “Good.”

Isabell looked around at who Daryl had with him. She saw Carol standing bashfully behind him. “You okay?”

Carol nodded. “Not sure how you’re always ridin’ behind him on that. My butt hurts.” She joked, easing the tension.

Isabell smiled to the woman, nodding her head. “Just somethin’ I’m used to, I guess.” She turned her attention back to Daryl. “We were headin’ back to the highway. Where we left stuff for Sophia.” Isabell said, pointing back towards the car that got them this far.

“Us, too.” Daryl informed.

“Can I ride with you?”

Daryl looked back at Carol. Not that he was asking her permission, but that she knew that was the plan.

Carol nodded. “I’ll take your place with Maggie and Glenn.”

“Thanks.” Isabell said with a smile.

Daryl whistled, his fingers in his mouth. “Let’s keep goin’.” He twirled his finger in the air and climbed back onto his bike. Daryl started the motorcycle as Glenn, Maggie and Carol climbed into Maggie’s car.

Isabell threw one leg over the bike and got as close to Daryl as she possibly could. She pushed up a little bit, kissing the side of Daryl’s face. “I love ya, ya know?”

Daryl nodded. “Love ya, too, Izzy.”

Isabell sat down on the bike and tied her hands together around Daryl’s waist. Being close to him and being with him again was everything she could have ever asked for. Isabell just hoped that they would stop getting split up. Sure, this time it was only a few hours, but maybe next time would be worse. Daryl was her only family. It was hard for her to be away from him.

Isabell lost herself in the ride back to the highway. Along the way, they had found the blue truck that was familiar to her. More of their people. Isabell let out a sigh in relief against Daryl’s back.

One of Daryl’s hands managed to clasp around hers, only for a moment, but it provided Isabell with the ounce of comfort she needed. Hopefully the rest of everyone had the sense to meet back at the highway. All too late, she had realized that having a meeting place if things went south was a necessity. They’d know better for next time.

As they came upon the section of highway they had stayed on in their search for Sophia, Isabell strained slightly to see if anyone was there. She caught sight of Rick first, then Hershel and Carl. Again, Isabell let out a relieved breath, for the child especially.

The group crossed over the median of the highway, quickly shutting off their vehicles and running to their loved ones.

As Isabell climbed off the bike from behind Daryl, Rick came towards the motorcycle and clasped hands with him.

“Oh, thank God!” Lori’s voice called.

Isabell’s attention was drawn quickly to the mother-son reunion.

Lori was knelt to the ground, grabbing Carl and pulling him into her arms.

The moment hit Isabell like a truck. Shortly, she was having a hard time breathing watching the mother having a moment with her child. Next she knew, Daryl’s hand clasped around her’s, surprising her and forcing her to take a breath.

Daryl looked at her, reaching a hand up to her face. He took a tear that she didn’t know she’d shed with his forefinger. Daryl continued to gaze at her with a questioning look.

Isabell swallowed the sad lump in her throat and nodded.

Carol came up to her and reached out. She’d quickly wrapped Isabell in a hug with no warning.

Isabell wanted to push the woman away, but she couldn’t. Carol knew her. Hell, they were nearly the same, having both lost a daughter. As much as Carol had annoyed her in the last couple weeks, checking in and getting in the way, it was all for a good reason. Carol was trying to connect with Isabell. To mourn with her, in the way the woman knew they needed to.

Quickly, Isabell hugged Carol back tightly, holding back her cry. Just as soon, Carol pulled away, placing a comforting pat on Isabell’s shoulder.

Isabell stood in between Daryl and Carol, leaning against the broken down car behind them.

Rick got up from his spot on the ground next to his son and wife. He turned to Daryl. “Where’d you find everyone?”

“Well, these guys were stopped flat in the middle of the road like a welcome mat. Figured Iz might’ve got motion sick from Glenn’s driving.” Daryl had pointed to Isabell, Glenn and Maggie.

Isabell laughed and playfully grabbed Daryl’s arm, pulling him towards her and shielding herself from the group.

Glenn nodded and chuckled. “Oh, yeah. All my fault.”

“Where’s the rest of us?” Daryl said, asking the question everyone wanted to know the answer to.

“We’re the only ones who made it so far.” Rick answered regretfully.

Lori stood from the ground. “Shane?” She questioned.

Rick hesitated. He couldn’t answer verbally and instead he shook his head.

“Good riddance.” Isabell said under her breath. Her comment earned a glance from Daryl. Isabell couldn’t do much but shrug. “You were thinkin’ it.”

“Andrea?” Glenn asked.

“She saved me.” Carol shared. “Then I lost her.” She said sadly.

“We saw her go down.” T-Dog said, leaning against the open door of the truck.

“Patricia?” Hershel said, his arm wrapped around both Beth and Maggie.

Beth looked down at the ground, trying to keep herself together. “They got her, too.” She told her father. Beth was holding onto her sister’s hand tightly, while she gained her father’s glance. “Took her right in front of me. I was - ” She stopped, looking to her hand in Maggie’s. Beth pulled from her grasp and turned into her father’s hug. “I was holdin; onto her, Daddy. She just - ” Beth let out a quick sob. “What about Jimmy? Did you see Jimmy?”

Rick nodded. “He was in the RV. It got overrun.”

“You definitely saw Andrea?” Carol wanted to clarify.

“There were walkers everywhere.” Lori said. Which actually meant they really had no idea for sure whether Andrea was alive or not.

“Yeah, but did you see her?” Isabell questioned. Even though she couldn’t stand Andrea, Isabell knew that she was Carol’s friend.

When no one could answer, Daryl pulled from Isabell’s grasp. “I’m gonna go back.”

“Like hell you are!” Isabell scoffed, grabbing his arm again.

“Isabell’s right.” Rick agreed.

“You can’t go back to that farm. We can’t go back there.”

Daryl paused with his hands on the bike’s handlebars. “We can’t just leave her.”

“We don’t even know that she’s there.” Lori reminded.

“She isn’t there.” Rick promised. “She’s somewhere else or she’s dead. There’s no way to find her.”

“So we’re not even gonna look for her?” Glenn worried.

Isabell’s eyes caught sight of a walker headed towards them. She stiffened, hand finding the knife in her belt loop.

“We gotta keep moving.” Rick ordered. “There have been walkers crawling all over here.”

T-Dog picked his head up from his hand. “I say head east.”

“Stay off the main roads.” Daryl offered. He stepped away from Isabell, going for his crossbow. “The bigger the road, the more walkers.” Daryl loaded the weapon quickly and took swift steps towards the walker in front of them. “More assholes like this one.” He took aim with the crossbow and shot the walker directly in the eye.

“Daryl’s right.” Isabell shared. “In the beginning, we went through a lot of back country. Only came to walkers when we hit stores and whatnot.”

“Good idea.” Rick congratulated. He looked around at everyone. “Okay, everyone load up.”

Isabell stood next to the bike, waiting for Daryl to pack his crossbow back up. She noticed Rick, Lori, Carl, and T-Dog going for the red truck and Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Beth, and Carol in Maggie’s car.

“Izzy!” Glenn’s voice called out, gaining her attention. He was holding a couple backpacks. “This is yours, right?”

Isabell shielded her eyes from the sun with her hand and nodded. “Put it in the trunk. I’m riding with Daryl.”

Glenn obliged and climbed in the driver’s seat.

Daryl glanced at Isabell from the opposite side of the bike. “You have the bags?”

“Course I do. ‘Always be prepared’.” Isabell mocked one of Daryl’s rules. She watched him as he took a rag from one of the bike’s storage containers and wiped his face and neck of the sweat that had built up. “Plus, the only pictures we have of Harley are in there. I wasn’t about to leave that behind.”

Daryl studied Isabell for a second before flicking his head back.

“What?”

“‘Mere.”

Isabell was confused, but her curiosity fueled her to take the couple steps towards the motorcycle.

With the bike still between them, Daryl leaned over and gave Isabell a quick but sweet kiss. “Love ya.”

Isabell felt her face heat up, wondering where her sudden shyness with the man had come from. She looked down at the bike, wishing that she was alone with him for a moment.

Daryl climbed onto the bike, and gestured for her to climb on.

Isabell threw her leg over. She stood for a moment, before lowering her face into the crook of Daryl’s neck and giving it a kiss.

Daryl shrugged away from the gesture. “Now, don’t be startin’ that up.”

Isabell had to hide her laugh. “Alright. I’m sorry.” She took her seat and held onto Daryl’s waist.

Before he started the bike, Daryl’s hand met hers and he rubbed his thumb back and forth on the back of Isabell’s hand a couple times.

“I love you.” Isabell said, melting herself into him.

Daryl nodded and started his bike, following after the red truck to wherever they’d call safe next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, guys! Sorry it’s been a couple weeks, but I hoped you enjoyed this chapter. I’m still updating, it’s just been a rough time for me recently and I’ve not wanted to write.

Review. Comment. Ask me questions. Talk about the new episodes. I’ll definitely answer anything and respond to you in the next chapter!

Thanks to Rubicon for commenting. Also to miss-cavill-teller. You’re both awesome.

Alright! Thanks for reading!