Fighter

~104

Today was it. Daryl and Isabell would take off and leave this group and be on their own again. He’ll probably want to go find Merle. Isabell decided that she would be okay with that. Merle is family. Family doesn’t get left behind. Even if they leave you behind. Twice. Daryl would make Isabell move passed all the hate. He hates conflict. Most of the time, though, he is the reason behind the fights behind her and Merle. Merle always believed that Isabell was ‘turning his brother into a pussy’ as he said it. That wasn’t her, though. His soft side was hardly ever out around her. The little gestures like kissing her forehead and rubbing his thumb along her shoulder were just about the only thing that he would do to show affection when people were around. Isabell didn’t like PDA much either, but part of her always wanted that feeling someone gets when they are kissed in the middle of a crowd.

Isabell turned over in Daryl’s cot, uncovering her arm from over her eyes. The tent was empty, for Daryl was missing. The tent opening was zipped up. This, no doubt, was a flimsy form of protection from The Dead. Daryl was probably checking out her sleep station every now and then to be sure that she wasn’t attacked. Isabell’s bow leaned against the other side of the tent. Isabell went to get up and grab it to put it around her body but seeing the state her shirt was in, she almost lost what little food that she had in her stomach. It was caked in blood and dirt. Daryl’s backpack was in the corner of the tent. After grabbing it, Isabell dug through it looking for a shirt. Thankfully, he had one of her old flannels, that she traded out for the one that she was wearing, leaving her undershirt that was still ripped from when Daryl found her yesterday.

It was hard for Isabell to believe that was only yesterday. It was such a long day between her finding Merle, almost dying, and being kidnapped. Yesterday was too taxing on everyone. Being in the group made it harder on her because all of their emotions and sadness were rubbing off onto her. She didn’t know these people, not even their names, and she cried herself to sleep over them. Isabell assumed it was the kids. Children shouldn’t be in this kind of world. In the end, they probably won’t make it.

After wrapping her bow around her body, she left the tent, still standing by it with a good view of Daryl dragging a body with the help of a Hispanic man. Glenn walked over to the two.

“What are you guys doing?” Glenn asked. “This pile is for geeks. Our people go over there.” The kid pointed to another pile.

Daryl shrugged as best he could while dragging the body. “What’s the difference? They’re all infected.”

Glenn was at his breaking point since last night. Daryl’s arguing just made it worse. This group was Glenn’s family now. They were all he had left. Isabell read him well enough to realize that his real family was gone, or at least not in this group. “Our people go in that row over there.” Glenn stressed, his voice cracking near the end of his sentence. “We don’t burn them! We bury them. Understand?!”

Daryl looked passed Glenn his eyes found mine. I nodded, telling him he should comply with Glenn’s request. Daryl groaned and rolled his eyes but moved in the opposite direction, towards the dug up holes. Daryl removed his hands from the decomposing body and walked away. Isabell knew by the look on his face that he was going to have an outburst. “You reap what you sow.”

The man who was helping him stood up straight. “You know what? Shut up, man.”

“Y’all left my brother for dead! You had this comin’!” Daryl walked over to Isabell. She shook her head at him. He glared back. “What?”

Isabell shrugged. “Your outbursts aren’t needed. These people are goin’ through enough without you screamin’ at ‘em.”

Daryl scoffed at her. “Iz, don’ talk to me like I’m some stupid kid.”

“I wouldn’t have to if you would stop acting like one. Everyone knows you’re upset about Merle. They are upset about losing most of their camp.”

“I thought you hated groups.”

“That doesn’t mean that I don’t know what they’re going through.” Isabell argued. “You of all people should know. I’ve lost loved ones, too, and you told me to fight through it. You’ve already moved on from Merle. Look how easily it was for you to leave the city and come here.”

“I thought Merle was here!” he said, angrily, stepping close to Isabell to get in her face.

“But he’s not!” Isabell said, just as harshly, standing her ground. “And I’m sorry ‘bout that. But if I know that stupid son of a bitch, he’s still alive out there.”

Daryl let out a long, frustrated sigh to calm himself and smirked. “Y’know it’s kinda sexy when you stand up to me.”

Isabell rolled her eyes and pushed him away. “I’m not doin’ this, Daryl.” she said, walking towards the main camp.

“A walker got him.” Isabell looked towards the black woman who was stepping away from the man who talked about the holes last night. “A walker bit Jim.” Everyone gathered around him, Daryl stepping in front of Isabell carrying a pickaxe. ‘Jim’ became very panicked saying over and over that he was fine.

“Show it to us.” Daryl demanded. Jim started to run away, scared. When Jim didn’t submit, Daryl repeated himself. Jim picked up a shovel, probably planning to use it as his defense weapon. Shane noticed and attempted to calm him.

“Easy, Jim.” Shane cooed. Daryl wasn’t having any of that ‘go easy on him’ crap.

“Grab him.” Daryl ordered.

“Jim, put the shovel down.” Shane told Jim, gently. “Put it down.” T-Dog went from behind Jim and grabbed both of his arm, making him drop the shovel.

“I’m okay.” Jim insisted, repeating himself, trying to convince the group. Sure, he was okay now, but give him a few hours. He’d be trying to chomp down on one of the group. Daryl moved towards Jim to lift up his shirt. Jim had a giant bite mark close to his side though he was still convinced he was fine. Daryl and T-Dog backed away from Jim, joining the group. Daryl moved to Isabell’s side, pulling her away from the dying man. Jim stayed sat by the RV while everyone gathered in a circle a little ways away.

“What are we gonna do about him?” Isabell asked, aloud.

“I say,” Daryl started, “we put a pickaxe in his head. And the dead girl’s. Just be done with it.”

Shane looked up from under the visor of his Sheriff’s cap. “Is that what you’d want if it were you?”

Daryl nodded. “Yeah, and I’d thank you while you did it.” Isabell gave him a look, even though she remembered the deal that she had made with the Dixons when shit hit the fan.

“I hate to say it.” An older man spoke up. “I never thought I would, but maybe Daryl is right.” Isabell could tell the man spoke with reluctance. Did Daryl’s group really look down on him that much?

“Jim’s not a monster, Dale, or some rabid dog.” Rick said, irately.

“I wasn’t suggesting - ”

“He’s sick.” Rick insisted. “A sick man. We start down that road, where do we draw the line?” Rick’s wife tried to shush him.

“The line’s pretty clear. Zero tolerance for walkers, or them to be.”

“Daryl’s right. If he and I are gonna stick around, I’ve got to be sure String Bean, o’er there, isn’t gonna attack us durin’ the night.” Daryl looked at Isabell, no doubt, shocked at her outburst about the two of them staying with the group.

“Who the hell are you anyway?” Shane asked Isabell.

“I’m part of the reason you have those guns from last night.” Isabell pointed out, glaring at the deputy.
“Shane, this is Isabell. She’s with Daryl.” Rick explained. “What if we can get him help? I heard the CDC was working on a cure.”

“I heard that, too.” Shane said, doubtfully. “Heard a lot of things before the world went to hell.”

“What if the CDC is still up and running?”

“What if it’s not?” Isabell challenged.

“Man, that is a stretch right there.” Shane shook his head.

“Why?” Rick asked. “If there is any government left, any structure at all, they’d protect the CDC at all costs, wouldn’t they? I think it’s our best shot. Shelter, protection.” Isabell looked over to Daryl. He was biting his lip, looking a little antsy. Isabell put a hand on his arm but he didn’t calm down. She let out a long sigh. Isabell knew where his brain was and there was no way that she could stop him now.

“Okay, Rick, you want all those things, alright?” Shane said. “I do, too, okay? Now if they do exist, they’re at the army base. Fort Benning.”

“That is a hundred miles in the opposite direction.” Rick’s wife pointed out.

“That is right.” Shane agreed. “But it’s away from the hot zone. Now listen to me. If that place is operational, it’ll be heavily armed. We’d be safe there.”

“The military were on the front lines of this thing. They were the first to be overrun. We’ve all see that. The CDC is our best choice and Jim’s only chance.” Daryl looked to Isabell for a moment, probably weighing his options. He looked back at Jim with a devious look in his eyes. He turned to Isabell and she shook her head at him.

“Daryl. Dont.” Isabell warned.

Daryl shook his head. “You go looking for aspirin. Do what you need to do. I gotta take care o’ my own.” He turned to Jim with his pickaxe in his hands. “Someone needs to have some balls to take care of this damn problem!” He readied to take a swing at Jim’s head.

“Hey! Hey! Hey!” Rick shouted to Daryl to stop him. Rick cocked his gun, pointing it at Daryl’s head. Shane moved between Daryl and Jim to protect the bitten man.

“Whoa! Rick!” Isabell ran over, pushing Rick away from Daryl, moving into the middle of the two men. “Rick, c’mon! He’s just trying to protect me!” she argued. “And the group. Your family, Rick!” Isabell was shaking. Daryl hadn’t lowered the axe and Rick hadn’t lowered his weapon either. Then suddenly Isabell’s own words gave her an idea. “Your family. Do you remember how devastated you were when you found them gone?” His eyes darted to Isabell, but his gun stayed in its position. “Daryl is my family. My only family.” Isabell’s eyes began to water. “Please, Rick. Don’t take him away from me. I just got him back.” She begged. Rick looked to her then back at Daryl who had turned around and lowered his axe.

“We don’t kill the living.” Rick stressed.

“That’s funny. Coming from a man who just put a gun to my head.” Daryl snarked.

“Y’know, Rick and I, we may disagree on some things.” Shane admitted. “But not this. You put it down. Go on.” Daryl groaned and slammed the axe into the ground before walking away.

Isabell put a hand on Rick’s lower arm after he lowered his gun. “Thank you. I’m so sorry.” she said. Rick nodded at her apology and Isabell went to follow Daryl. “Daryl!” Isabell called, but he didn’t stop. “Daryl, c’mon. I gotta talk to you!” Isabell jogged to catch up and caught his arm with her hand. He pulled angrily out of her grasp, stopping at his tent. “Daryl, what the hell is wrong with you?”

“Stupid ass is gonna get us killed.” He grumbled.

“I’ve been trying to tell you that, but you can’t just kill a man. Jim is still human, Daryl.”

“He won’t be for long. And like you said, Jimbo could turn at any second and when he bites you…” Daryl trailed off. He had a pained look on his face and Isabell knew that Daryl couldn’t finish the sentence that he started.

“I’m not gonna get bit. The people here will keep a close eye on him. We’ll get him when he turns.”

“I thought you didn’t wanna stay. What was that back there? We gonna stay now?”

Isabell shrugged. She had her reasons. Isabell wanted to protect the kids. She knew that their parents were here, but Rick’s wife and the woman with short hair didn’t look capable of defending themselves, let alone their kids. “The group’s not as big anymore. It’s weaker. They’re gonna need all the help they can get.” Daryl stood in front of her biting his lip. “So we’re stayin’. And I know you’re angry about Merle, but don’t take it out on them. Yell at me if ya need to. I’m the one who let him walk out o’ the room.” For a second, Daryl seemed to break down his barrier and grabbed Isabell’s hand. She was confused and tried to pull away. He only held on tighter and pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her neck in a hug.

“We’ll find Merle. If you can make it, he can.” Daryl said, hoarsely, in her ear. “I’m just glad I’ve got ya back.” Granted, Isabell couldn’t completely agree with him because they weren’t together and they weren’t whatever they were before the apocalypse hit. Isabell squeezed him back anyway. She was glad that she was alive and that she was with him. She missed him. Knowing that she could have die in the closet put a lot into perspective for Daryl and her. In a minute, his body went rigid and Isabell knew to pull away. While she wasn’t happy about it, she conformed. He cleared his throat. “Got some work to do.”

Isabell nodded as he walked off. She sighed. She always wished that he wouldn’t close her off so quickly. Even though she didn’t want anything to happen between them, romantically, she still wanted the comfort. Getting away from her thoughts, she decided to follow him. She needed to help out around the camp if she was going to stay. The two went over to the area where they had piled up their people. They needed to be sure that their people were dead and gone. Daryl grabbed his axe from earlier and Isabell started lining up the bodies. He brought the axe down on a few heads before the woman with short hair walked over to watch. She started to stare at one body in particular and Isabell had noticed.

“He yours?” Isabell asked.

The woman nodded. “My husband, Ed.”

Isabell rocked back and forth on her feet. “I’m sorry.”

She shook her head and shrugged. “It’s funny. I’m not.”

Isabell looked at her, confused. She didn’t want to push her on it though. She didn’t know either of them. Judging wouldn’t do much. “I’m Isabell.”

She nodded. “Carol.” Isabell’s eyes wandered to the children who sat at a table working in workbooks. Isabell. watched the girl with shoulder-length hair that Carol was hugging last night. “My daughter, Sophia. She’s twelve.”

Isabell was scared for the little girl, growing up in this world. “She’s beautiful.” Isabell said, with a smile. Carol turned back to Isabell, very surprised at the words she heard.

“Thank you.” She said, meaningfully. Isabell nodded.

“Izzy.” Daryl called. Isabell turned her head towards him questioningly. “Got one more.” he said, gesturing to Ed’s body at their feet. Isabell looked to Carol. She stared long and hard at her husband’s body, debating in her head.

“I’ll do it.” She said, reaching for Daryl’s axe. “He’s my husband. I should do it.” Daryl nodded and handed her the axe. Carol was getting emotional. She put the axe over her shoulder, struggling slightly. Isabell couldn’t help but watch her. The pain was written on her face. Or was it relief? Carol was crying, though, so she was sad about it. She took a deep breath and threw the axe down onto her husband’s head. Figuring that she was done, Isabell moved to help her dig the axe from Ed’s head, but Carol picked up the axe again and threw it back down. The woman kept slamming it down on him. The only way to explain this behavior was that they weren’t exactly the happiest of married couples. Isabell looked to Daryl. He was watching Carol with a knowing look. He knew what she was feeling. Carol was abused by her husband. She started to slow down and also began crying. Isabell went over to her and put an arm around her shoulders, taking the axe and handing it back to Daryl.

“Carol, why don’t you go take the kids down by the water? Daryl and I will handle this from here.” Isabell said, comfortingly. Carol nodded. She needed to get herself away from this situation.

“Thank you.”

Isabell nodded, as Carol left to join her daughter. Isabell turned back to Daryl. “I don’t know whether to feel relieved or sorry for her.”

Daryl nodded. “I’m gettin’ the truck. We gotta load ‘em up.” He went in the direction of his own truck and a minute later backed it up. The bed was quickly loaded with bodies, with Isabell standing in the back, pulling the bodies up that were handed to her. Daryl helped her to jump out of the side of the truck. “How’s yer leg?” he asked.

Isabell shrugged. “Stitches popped last night while we were jogging, but it can hold off. I’m fine.”

“No, ya ain’t, Iz. You gotta stitch it up again.”

“And I will. When we’re done here. No sense in stitchin’ it again if they’ll only pop out.”

Daryl thought for a moment. “Alright.” He said, climbing into his truck. The two drove in silence to the area where Rick and Shane had continued to dig holes. They were also arguing which was great when it came to the two of them being leaders.

Daryl and Isabell hopped out of the truck. Daryl spoke up. “I still think it’s a mistake. Not burning these bodies. It’s what we said we’d do, right? Burn ‘em all, wasn’t that the idea?”

“At first.” Shane agreed.

“So, Chinaman gets all emotional, says it’s not the right thing to do and we just follow him along?” Daryl questioned angrily. Isabell quietly told him to calm down.

“Rick these people need to know who’s in charge. They need to know the rules.” Isabell enforced.

“There are no rules.” Rick responded.

“Well, that’s a problem.” Rick’s wife said, taking Isabell’s side. “We haven’t had one minute to hold onto anything of our old selves. We need time to mourn and we need to bury our dead. It’s what people do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 4 in 3rd person. Enjoy :)