Fighter

~106

The light shone brightly from the inside of the building. Isabell couldn’t believe it. Granted, this was what she wanted, but she still couldn’t believe it. The dor had actually opened. Yelling at the hermits locked inside had actually worked. Never again would Isabell doubt the power of a few choice words. No one could ever resist children, nor could they live with the fact that they were about to send them out into a dangerous world.

The group moved forward quickly into the building. Rick showed that he was relieved and Shane seemed a little bitter. He hadn’t gotten his way, and of course, Rick’s plan had actually fell through.

Shane shouted out orders to the group while Rick and Isabell walked forward in awe. “Daryl, you cover the back.” he said.

Rick walked through the building, Isabell on his tail. “Hello?” Rick called. “Hello?!”

“Close those doors.” Shane dictated. “Watch for walkers.”

Everyone gathered around in what seemed like the building’s lobby. Everything seemed to be a big shock to everyone that they had let their guard down, lowering their weapons. The inside of the building was huge. Even the lobby seemed like it could be their home for a few days, which made Isabell feel comfortable letting the kids wander.

Rick called out again before the cocking of a gun was heard. Everyone’s weapons quickly went up once again.

There was a tall, blond man that came out from a back hallway. “Anybody infected?” the man shouted.

Rick answered. “One of our group was.” He paused. “He didn’t make it.”

Isabell sighed, rolling her eyes. “In simpler terms, no.”

Shane shot a glare in her direction.

Isabell shrugged her shoulders. Why does he hate me so much?

“Why are you here? What do you want?” the man asked.

“A chance.” Rick suggested, lowering his weapon a little bit.

“That’s asking an awful lot these days.” The man pointed out.

“I know.”

The man took a look around the room, looking individually at each one of the group members.

Isabell looked to the children who had on their best puppy dog faces. She smirked to herself, thinking what evil geniuses that they were.

No one said anything for a moment, unsure of what was going to happen next.

The guy seemed to be thinking about what he was going to do with all of them. “You all submit to a blood test. That’s the price of admission.”

Rick nodded. “We can do that.”

The man lowered his weapon and pointed to the door. “You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed.”

Lori and Isabell stayed inside the building with the children while everyone else ran out to their cars to retrieve their belongings. Isabell was fine staying. She didn’t have but what was in Daryl’s backpack, so they wouldn’t need much out of a truck. Isabell was also able to keep an eye on Sophia since she had her hands wrapped around her lower arm. She kept her close and away from the stranger that as everyone ran back in.

T-Dog and Dale closed the doors after the last person straggled in.

The man pushed a button on a panel next to the door and spoke into it. “VI, seal the main entrance.” He ordered. “Kill the power up here.” The protective shutters slowly closed and locked themselves into place.

Isabell let out a sigh of relief, finally feeling safer. When she saw Rick walk over to the man, Isabell leaned down to Sophia and told her to go with her mom. She stood closely behind Rick as he introduced himself.

Rick held out his hand for the man to shake. “Rick Grimes. This is Isabell Isaacs.”

The man looked down at Rick’s hand, but he didn’t shake it. “Doctor Edwin Jenner.” the man said.

!@#$#@!

The group took a single elevator ride down what felt like a few floors. Isabell stood in between Daryl and Carol with Sophia in front of her. Even though they were safe, Sophia looked afraid as she clung tightly to her doll the other little girl gave to her.

Isabell poked Daryl in the side when she noticed that he was sending Jenner hard glares.
Daryl shook her off and decided to make a smart ass comment. “Doctors always go around packin’ heat like that?” he asked.

Isabell rolled her eyes and shook her head at him. She lowered her voice. “Could you keep your trap shut for a second? The man took us in, and he didn’t have to.”

Jenner shook his head. “He’s just fine. Curious, is all.” He directed his attention to Daryl. “There were plenty left just lying around. I took it upon myself to get familiarized.” Jenner looked around at the group again.

Isabell got defensive and grabbed onto Sophia, pulling the girl into her and Carol.

“But you look harmless enough. Except you.” He said, looking down at Carl. “I’ll have to keep my eye on you.”

Carl smiled shyly up at the man.

Jenner didn’t seem dangerous, but that didn’t mean Isabell was going to lighten her grip on the girl in front of her.

The elevator dinged and the doors opened. Jenner left out first, everyone else following shortly after.

Daryl and Isabell took the back of the line with Sophia and Carol directly in front of them.

“Are we underground?” Carol asked.

Isabell had just assumed that they were. They had entered on the ground floor and went down in the elevator.

“You claustrophobic?” Jenner asked her, turning to catch a glimpse of her.

“A little.” Carol admitted.

Isabell caught up to her and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Just try not to think about it, okay? We’re safe.” She told her.

Carol nodded.

The group reached the end of the hallway, it opened up to a big circular room with desk areas with some sort of computers on them.

“VI, bring up the lights in the big room.” Jenner said aloud. The lights turned on in a circle around the computers. Jenner stopped walking and took a look at the room before turning his head slightly towards the group. “Welcome to Zone Five.” He continued to walk down the slope to the middle of the room and everyone followed him.

“Where is everybody?” Rick asked, getting the courage to bring up with everyone was wondering. “The other doctors? The staff?”

Jenner got to the center of the room and stopped, turning to look at the group. “I’m it.” He said, simply.

Isabell stopped at the bottom of the slope the second that his comment reached her ears.

“It’s just me here.” He admitted solemnly.

Rick looked down in defeat.

“What about the person you were speaking with?” Lori asked. “VI?”

“VI, say hello to our guests.” Jenner ordered. “Tell them, welcome.”

“Hello, guests.” A female voice sounded. Only it wasn’t actually a voice. It was a computer. “Welcome.” It said, finally.

“I’m all that’s left.” Jenner informed.

Isabell was in complete disbelief. She looked to Daryl, confusion written on his face. Daryl also didn’t seem so surprised. It was almost like he had already assumed that Jenner was the last one. From the look outside of the building, it was obvious. There were a few of the dead that everyone passed who were in long white doctor’s coats.

“I’m sorry.” Jenner said, before walking towards another room.

The group was expected to follow him, but with the shock of what they had just heard, it took them a minute to get going.

Isabell sat down to have her blood taken by Jenner first, wanting to get it over with. Isabell wasn’t at all fond of needles. She was hoping Daryl would be a comfort to her, but he was being just as stubborn as ever as he stood against the wall.

Jenner immediately got to work taking the blood from Isabell’s arm. He stuck her arm with the needle and Isabell let a curse slip out under her breath. Jenner took what he needed and Isabell moved on, joining Carol and Sophia. The doctor moved through the group quickly, Andrea going last, Jacqui behind her for comfort.

“What the point?” Andrea asked. “If we were infected, we’d all be running a fever.”

“I’ve already broken every rule in the book letting you in here. Let me just at least be thorough.” Jenner said before taking the syringe out of Andrea’s arm and saying that she was done.

Andrea stood up and got a little dizzy, almost tripping before Jacqui caught her.

“Are you okay?” Jenner asked.

“She’s hasn’t eaten in days.” Jacqui told him. “None of us have.”

Honestly, Isabell had forgotten. She was hungry a lot of the time and it just started to seem normal. She had ignored the hunger pains.

However, as soon as she was in front of a table with food and booze, she didn’t hesitate to enjoy it. The group was gathered around a table in the cafeteria. Isabell and Daryl were leaning against the counters, holding their plates as they ate.

Dale went on about children drinking wine and he was trying to persuade Lori to let Carl have a little bit.

Isabell laughed at the sight of the family, still going through their ‘firsts’.

Carl didn’t like the wine at all.

“Stick to soda pop, there, bud.” Shane said, plainly.

“Not you, Glenn.” Daryl said, pushing himself off the counter to refill a few drinks.

“What?” Glenn asked innocently.

“Keep drinking, little man. I want to see how red your face can get.” Everyone laughed. Even Isabell, who laughed quietly. She bumped Daryl with her shoulder. Daryl looked to her with a full blown smile on his face. Isabell couldn’t recall the last time that she’d seen him this happy.

Rick stood from his spot at the table to toast Jenner.

Isabell hadn’t gotten to completely trusting him.

Shane, of course, was the killjoy and asked some serious questions about Jenner that no one wanted to know the answer to at that time. Apparently, Jenner was the last one left because many chose to run away or, as he said, opted out.

That made Isabell’s ears perk up. She couldn’t say that she hadn’t thought about it. Isabell knew Daryl wouldn’t like knowing that she had.

Jenner was the only doctor here to try and keep it going. To try and find a cure. Only Isabell knew that there was no way that one man would figure out all that was going on.

!@#$#@!

After dinner, Jenner led the group down a smaller hallway with a bunch of doors off to the sides. “Most of the facility’s been powered down. Including housing, so you’re have to make do here.” He said, gesturing to the rooms. “The couches are comfortable. But there are cots in storage, if you like. There’s a rec room down the hall that I think you kids might enjoy.” He stopped and leaned down to their level. “Just don’t plug in the video games, okay? Or anything that draws power. The same applies - if you shower, go easy on the hot water.” He pointed to the adults before leaving down the rest of the hallway.

Isabell looked up to Daryl, grin plastered on her face. “Hot water?” she sighed. “That’d be nice.”
Daryl shrugged choosing a room across from Carol and Sophia.

Isabell went up to Carol before she and Sophia disappeared into their room. “Carol.” She called.
Carol turned and smiled at Isabell.

“If you need anything, let me know. Okay?”

Carol nodded. “I don’t understand why you’re being so kind to me, and Sophia, but I’m sure you’ll tell me eventually. Thank you.” She said earnestly.

Isabell tried to smile. “I gotta soft spot for kids. You have the kind of childhood I did, and you always hope for the best for other kids.”

“You really think that this is any better?” Carol asked, in remark to the dead coming back to life.

Isabell sighed. “Maybe not yet. But I’m sure we’ll get there.” Isabell faked a smile. “Before you know it, she’ll be sixteen and being asked to homecoming by a boy she likes.” Isabell looked down at Sophia. It was hard for Isabell to see how young she was, living in this world. But she had to believe that it could get better. “I’ll see you guys later.” Isabell assured them before retreating to the room Daryl had chosen.

Isabell entered the room and shut the door after she noticed Daryl moving to the bathroom while shedding his shirt. Isabell smirked as she followed after him into the bathroom, quickly walking past him to jump onto the countered sink to sit on it. She grabbed the bottle of booze Daryl stole and sat it on the counter behind her. Isabell smiled up at him.

Daryl looked back at her like she was crazy. “What?” He asked, after a minute.

I smiled and shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess I’m just a little happy. We don’t have to worry about who is gonna keep watch tonight. My stomach isn’t constantly groaning. And, we have a bed, Daryl. Well, a couch. But we’ve had worse, even before the outbreak. But still, it’s nice, I guess. Not havin’ to worry about what’s going to happen for a little while.”

Daryl gave Isabell a look. “Don’t let your guard down, Iz.” He ordered.

“Yes, sir.” She joked, faking a salute.

“Whachu doin’ that for?”

“You treat me like I’m some sorta soldier.” Isabell pouted. “I’m you friend, D.” Isabell held out her hand for him to take.

Daryl didn’t take her hand, but he moved to stand in front of her. “And sometimes you’re a child.” He slurred.

Isabell laughed at him. “You’re drunk.”

“I ‘member that you liked it when I was drunk.” Daryl said, walking forward and pushed Isabell’s legs outward so he could stand in between them.

“You were a lot easier to take advantage of. You let go when you drank, and it was more fun.” Isabell teased. If she was sober, Isabell probably wouldn’t let this happen. The alcohol clouded her brain. She was in a safe place, drinking until she couldn’t see straight, and she threw her morals straight out the window.

“How ‘bout now?” Ya gon take advantage of me now?” he said quietly, with a smirk plastered on his face.

Isabell shrugged, sliding her hands up his arms and down his chest. “I was kinda thinkin’ ‘bout a shower.” She said, pushing him out of her way to get the water going. “You can join me, if you want.” Isabell disposed of her clothes, stripping in front of him, before she entered the shower, moaning against the feel of the warm water against her skin. She ran her hands through her hair, making sure to get it all wet. “D, you gotta get in here.” Isabell begged.

In a minute, Daryl had pushed opened the shower door and joined Isabell. Without warning, he grabbed her and pushed her against the shower wall, holding her there. His mouth went to the crook of her neck, leaving soft kisses all the way up towards her ear. “Only I’m supposed ta make you moan like that.” He whispered, huskily in her ear.

Isabell whimpered when he bit down on her earlobe. “Well, go on then.” she urged, before letting go completely.

!@#$#@!

17 Years Earlier

The girl sat down on a rock in the middle of the woods. She remembered this boulder as the one she and Daryl sat down on the day that she found out what his father was doing to him. Daryl had never shared with her why his father beat him that day. Isabell figured that he didn’t want to talk about it. In all honesty, she had figured that he hadn’t done anything. Daryl’s father was probably just mad about Merle leaving and decided to take it out on the only other person there.

That was almost three years ago.

On this day, the day of the girl’s seventeenth birthday, she was awaiting Daryl who was planning on celebrating with her at her house. Her mom was probably already passed out on the couch or out at some guy’s house spending the weekend while his wife was away on vacation with her kids.

Daryl soon straggled through the trees and arrived at the spot directly in between their two houses.

Isabell smiled and stood when she saw him. She ran to him and jumped into his arms.

Daryl smiled big and held onto her, lifting her in the air. He let her down and kissed her hard on the mouth. “Happy Birthday, Izzy.” He mumbled.

“Mmm, thank you.” She said, before kissing him again. Isabell backed away before things could go any farther there in the forest. Not like being in the middle of the woods had ever stopped them before, but tonight was different. Isabell wanted to enjoy being with Daryl before she slept with him and he would leave shortly after. “Did you get it?” Isabell asked.

Daryl nodded before pulling a bottle that he stole from his father’s booze stash. Daryl’s father would never even know that it went missing. So Daryl and Isabell had planned on drinking an entire bottle themselves.

“C’mon, let’s go.” She said.

Daryl wrapped an arm around her shoulder and the two walked quietly back to Isabell’s house. Just as she figured, Isabell’s mother wasn’t home, so the two had the place to themselves. The two went off to her room and put in a movie that they weren’t going to watch.

Halfway through the bottle and a movie and a half later, they were on the floor, paying more attention to each other than they were to their movie.

Daryl’s hands roamed her body while hers ran through his hair. Daryl stopped abruptly and held himself above her with his elbows. He stared at her for a minute.

Isabell looked up at him questioningly. “What?” she asked

He shrugged, to the best of his ability. “I love you.” Daryl said.

Isabell furrowed her brow. “I’m sorry? What?”

“I love you.” he repeated.

Isabell started pushing him off of her.

“What?” Daryl asked. “I thought that’s where we were. Isn’t that what happens? The guy says ‘I love you’ and the girl says it back.”

“It is, D. I just - I guess I’m surprised. I don’t really expect that from you.” Isabell admitted. “You and I… We’re just fooling around. We don’t need the sappy relationship crap. We’re friends, Daryl. We comfort each other. That’s enough for me.” Isabell was being honest with Daryl.

Little did she know, Daryl was being honest with her. He really believed that he loved her, and he’d just been shot down.