Run My Darlings, Run

Chapter 3

In my dream I was back at the cottage. A warm fire burned merrily in the hearth, and a big pot of steaming stew sent tempting smells swirling around my nose. We were all drinking the soup and laughing happily together. One big, happy family. Then suddenly, in burst the mob of soldiers. They insulted and arrested us, while shoving us out the door. They made us look on helplessly as the house was burned down to the ground. Then we were all shoved onto the train. Once again, Mama told us how we would escape. But then everything went wrong. The soldiers somehow knew of our plan, and Hitler himself came in the dead of night to our carriage, armed with a gun. He shouted at us, and signalled to the soldiers, who stood mama and papa up roughly. Then he shot them. The shot echoed for miles as they slumped lifelessly to the floor. Liesel and I huddled together, terrified, as Hitler strode confidently towards us. His evil smile stretched from ear to ear as he raised his rifle once more…
“Scheiße!” Sweat dripped all over my face as I awoke from my dream, heart still pounding. Mama was stroking me gently.
“It was only a dream mein Liebling. It was only a dream,” she whispered. “Tell me mein Liebling, tell me what happened.” Tears streaming down my face, I buried my face in her shoulder and cried and cried. Between rasping sobs I told her of my dream. She listened attentively, not once did she interrupt, not until I had recounted the whole thing.
“Look at me Hans, look at me. Listen, to me now,” she said firmly. “We are not going to die. Let me tell you this. We are strong; we have not given up hope. Others have, and they do not have the strength to fight. If you give up hope then yes, we will die. Promise me that you won’t give up hope Hans!”
“I, I will try mama.” I whispered.
“Good.” Her whole body seemed to slump as she relaxed. And then Liesel started to cry, and she moved away to comfort her.
I felt so alone when she left. I wished I could hear her voice. It was so soothing, so comforting. Mama always had a way of comforting me, and without her, all of my troubles came flooding back to me. What if the plan didn’t work? What if mama and papa were found out and shot?
“Then we would be all alone,” I thought.