Run My Darlings, Run

Chapter 4

I must have fallen asleep again, because mama was shaking me gently.
“It is time mein liebling.” she soothed. A look of uncertainty flittered across her face, but it was gone as quickly as it came. “It is time to go.”
The way she said it made it seem like we had every chance of getting away, but I could see fear in her eyes. Papa was the same. Pacing nervously, deep in thought, his normally calm, brown eyes troubled. It dawned on me. They didn’t know if we were going to be alright. They didn’t know if we would reach the forest before we were shot. Before we were killed.
Shuddering, I thrust the thought aside and concentrated on the door. It was almost wide enough for us to squeeze through. A shadow fell over me, and I glanced up to see Papa beckoning. There was something in his eyes that made me feel like I had no choice but to follow.
He took me to a quiet corner of the compartment and knelt down. I did likewise. Staring into space for a moment, Papa’s voice startled me. It was full of sorrow.
“Hans.” No mein liebling, just plain Hans. “You must listen to me now. You may not have noticed it, but Mama and I don’t think we can escape with you.” His words sent a knife through my heart. Mama and I don’t think we can escape with you. They echoed in my head, whispering everywhere those awful words. “I know this is hard for you, but you have to go on without us. You will have more chance of escaping alive by yourselves, than if we all come.”
Tears welled up in my eyes.
“But Papa!” I cried.
“No.” He cut me off. “No buts.” Sighing, he continued. “I don’t know what they’ll do to us Hans, but I know it will be horrible, and I don’t want anything to happen to you or to Liesel. You have to go on alone. Verstehen?”
“I understand papa.” I choked out.
The thoughts of the pretty house with a huge garden disappeared like bubbles in a soup. The tears splashed down my face, making wet marks on my shirt. Opening his arms, Papa said one last thing. Just two words, but they made my heart break. “I’m sorry.”
I rushed into his arms, hugging him tightly, for this might be the last time I ever did. Mama stood over us, watching us weep together. Gently, she pulled my hand.
“You must take care of Liesel – you’re the oldest, you’re the smartest. Take care of her, like I would.” She said gently. Like Papa, she opened her arms, and I flung myself into them, sobbing now. She gently pulled me off and pulled me over to the outside door, opening it. Then I heard the compartment door opening, and the shouts of the soldiers.
“Jump Hans! Jump!” Mama screamed. I threw myself out of the speeding train, landing awkwardly on the gravel. I felt the skin breaking, felt the warm rush of blood spurt over my face, legs, and arms. My whole body screamed in agony. I turned just in time to see Liesel jump, screaming. Terrified, she shot through the air like a stray bullet, landing neatly in my blood strewn arms.
“Run my darlings, run!” I heard Mama shriek, as she was pulled back into the train and the door slammed. But not before the series of shots were fired. I turned around, protecting Liesel from the destruction of the bullets. They didn’t hit Liesel. They hit me. My body felt like it was on fire as I fell to the ground, writhing in agony. Pain spread up my body, new blood spurting from new wounds in my thigh. So much pain for such a small wound.
I was dimly aware of Liesel screaming, calling my name and crying. But it was all I could do to stay conscious. I turned my head to the train. There was Mama, face pressed against the window, tears streaming down her face as she uttered two words.
“Mein lieblinge!” Then the train roared away. That was the last we saw of them. My head ached, my body seared, I couldn’t keep it up any longer. My head slumped to the ground and I plummeted into the world of blackness.