Run My Darlings, Run

Chapter 7

I walked around the area. A small stream trickled slowly down the hill. It would make an ideal fishing spot. Various nuts hung in clusters, and dark berries glinted dangerously, just inviting you to take a bite. It was obvious that animals came to drink from the stream – you could see the paw prints clearly.
“Ok, work with what you’ve got Hans,” I said to myself. “You can fish from the stream, you can trap animals, you can pick nuts – you can survive. Just as long as nobody finds you.” I took a deep breath in, and then let it out slowly. I knew a few simple traps for small animals, but none of them were that good, not good enough to kill the creature trapped. And I didn’t have the right materials. I would need a knife, as well as something to cook it with. A fire would be too risky – the Nazis would see it immediately.
A pile of rocks caught my eye. I could fashion a knife out of them by sharpening them to a deadly point. But that still left the problem of cooking the things I caught.
Hunger was making my brain all fuzzy and I found it hard to think. I shrugged away the problem and returned to camp. Liesel was still in the same position, in the huddled up ball, refusing to move. I ignored her, and walked over to a pile of rocks. My eyes searched the pile, looking for just the right rock for my knife, as well as one to sharpen it with. Most of them were the rubbishy kind of rocks that you can easily crumble to dust, but a couple looked good and strong.
I selected two strong rocks, and then sat down with my back to Liesel. My weary feet gave a sigh of relief as the weight was taken off them. I rasped one rock over the other, creating a sound that made my teeth stand on end. Hesitating, I glanced over at Liesel, but she gave no sign that she objected, so I continued, over and over, trying to eke out the sound so it was as long and as annoying as possible. Finally, she sat up with a huff, glancing at me irritably. I made an especially long rasp, and she couldn’t suppress a smile.
“Alright, I give in, I’m sorry,” she said. I raised one eyebrow. “Really! I mean it.” I shrugged.
“I’m sorry as well.” I replied, scratching doodles in the dirt. We looked at each other, and embraced - both of us forgiven.