Status: Progress on Guardian Angel is slow. I currently have no time-table for chapters, but I'm working to get them up here as soon as I can.

Guardian Angel

Memories

I first met Sadie Jean Shafer during the second day of our freshman orientation. It was about mid-way through the day -- the first half of the 'Wacky Olympics' complete -- and we were taking a break for lunch. I knew only two, maybe three, people in that dining hall and naturally gravitated towards them once I got my food. I sat down at their table, but even after that I didn't say a word.

Quietly, I listened to the conversation characterized by their excited voices. They were looking forward to what college life had to offer, being away from home, and separated from parents. It was only after they had left and the table grew quiet that I noticed the young girl who was sitting across from me. Like me, she had been silent the entire time, focusing more on her food than people around her.

When they returned, they introduced her as Sadie.

She smiled briefly, curling the edges of her mouth somewhat uncomfortably before returning to her lunch.

At the time, I wasn't too sure what I thought of her. I was more worried about what she thought of me, instead.

Before I had departed for Louisville, my parents had verbally expressed their worry about my ability to make friends. They were unsure of whether or not I would be able to and they feared I would lock myself in my room, surrounded by the art and technology which I loved.

When Sadie and I first met, I wondered if we could be friends.

It was in the first few weeks of school that I learned how much we shared in common. Sadie was shy and quiet -- her family worried about her just as much as mine. She came from a small town in Ohio, West Liberty, and was very honest about the sheltered life she had lived up to that point.

Despite all that, Sadie had become a very caring and loving person.

Of all the people I had met during orientation, Sadie was the one whom I would hang out with the most. Despite our differing majors and often conflicting schedules, we would always find a way to spend time with one another, and I enjoyed that. Even after I told her about my rather broken past, she smiled and said to me: "It's okay, Andrew, we're all broken but in different ways."

Sadie was the one that taught me that love had many different meanings; it was a lesson that would stay with me forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Between chapters -- some not all -- there will be these short fillers describing Andrew's relationship with several of the important characters in the novel. These introductions are subject to change and grow longer as I continue, so I apologize if that's an inconvenience.

I was originally planning on doing Sadie's MEMORIES section later, but she's probably the most important character in the early parts of the story.