Status: Complete <3

Steam Punk Goggles and Ink Stained Hands

Your Scraped Up Knees

DREW'S POV

~

A smile spread over Barrone's face as I pushed open the wrought iron gate leading into the park. Autumn suited it well; many faded green and brown leaves pooled around the bases of trees in graceful piles while others still clung to the tree, stopping them from looking baron. The ground was soft underfoot and due to the cooler weather there was a distinct lack of screaming children running around in the nearby playground.

"It's so quite and peaceful here" Barrone commented. I had to nod in agreement, for he was correct. The park was away from all the busy main roads and loud high streets and not many people knew it was there. It was by no means the best park in the world; just an area of grass surrounded by trees along with some swings and a slide. It wasn't much, but it made for a great place to think and relax.

"Yeah, I come here a lot to think and write, it's pretty" I explained as I gestured to the leaves swaying softly on the branches above and the ones rustling below on the ground.

"Got that right. Hey, there's swings! I haven't been on a swing set since I was what, six?" He said, not really asking despite the way he phrased the sentence. I, of course, wouldn't know since I've only known him less than a month.

"Want to go on them now? There's usually a load of kids running around, it's empty today though" I asked, smiling. I loved things like swings, but you get a lot of weird looks if you go to a park at my age; people look at me like i'm a drug dealer or something. (I would say a drug dealer or a paedophile, but i'm only sixteen and I look even younger, so I don't really strike people as a paedophile when I go to a park). I longed for a day where I could just have fun regardless of what anyone else thought. Barrone seemed to be having similar thoughts to me as he nodded at me and grinned.

"Race you!" He exclaimed like a child while he ran towards the swing set.

"That's unfair, you had a head start!" I called back as I started running to catch up to him, laughing as I did.

"Boo-hoo! Catch me if you can!" Due to the fact I had shorter legs, he ended up sat on a swing and already moving by the time I got over to them. "Took you long enough!" he joked as I puffed and looked at him.

"Yeah, yeah, just because you have longer legs" I grumbled half heartedly, smiling as I sat myself down on the swing next to him and started to kick my legs to build up some momentum.

We swung side by side in companionable silence for a while, content to just take in the scenery and enjoy each other's presence. After a while, Barrone looked over at me and grinned.

"When you were little, did you ever try and see how high you could jump off the swing while it was in motion?" he asked, moving just slightly in front of me as our swings didn't exactly match together in time.

"What, like jump off mid swing?" I re-confirmed.

"Yup! Bet I can jump off higher than you!" he said. This was definitely a side of Barrone I hadn't seen before. The side I saw in school was reclusive, shy and mysterious. Now though, when there's only the two of us present, he seemed more open, calm and - dare I say it? - happy.

"Oh it's on!" I called as I threw my weight forward, hoping to gain slightly more momentum last minute and launched myself off the swing when I was high in the air. I laughed as I flew threw the air briefly before dropping to the ground. I landed crouched down and spun around to face Barrone again.

"Your turn!" I called, still giggling.

"Incoming!" he called as he released the chains on either side of him. Like me, he traveled through the air for a minute before descending back to the ground. Unlike me though, he didn't bend his legs as he landed and ended up sprawled along the ground.

"Barrone! Are you alright?" I called as I jumped to my feet, jogging over to where he was.

"Yeah, i'm fine" He pushed himself into a sitting position before brushing the dirt of the front of his school trousers. "I might have cut my knee open though... oh well, I'll sort it out later" he said casually, like it didn't really concern him.

I noticed that his glasses where lying crooked on his face and instinctively reached out a hand to adjust them. He seemed to freeze slightly as I did, watching the movements right in front of his eyes, his beautiful eyes trained on mine.

I noticed then that there was mere centimetres between us. I probably should have moved backwards, but something in me didn't want to. I didn't retract my hand from near his face once I was done either; instead, I found myself moving it down to lightly cup his jaw.

Without a second thought about consequences or reasoning, I leant in and connected our lips.