I Want You On My Team

Used to Back Out of Love. But I Can't Escape This Time.

I spent the rest of the day alone in the guest house. Around six I found myself in the main house staring at his back as he played the piano and sang. It was hypnotizing how he moved his hands as he played.
"Laughing that the one thing I can't get is what I need. She, She is the words that I can't find. How can the only thing that's killing me make me feel so alive? And I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe to save my life. All of my chances swim like sinking ships. This time it's it. I'll drown or make her mine. My vocal chords have been fighting. My mouth likes to spite me, it never says the words that come to mind. I brought a stick to a gun fight and I'm stuck with my tongue tied. I run but I can't hide-" He stopped and turned as he realized I was standing there.
"Hi. I like your song." I told him walking further into the room.
"It isn't mine. I was writing a song, but my mind went else where and I started playing what was stuck in my head." He shrugged and looked up at me from his spot on the piano bench. "So, how was dress shopping?"
"I found a super amazing dress! It's stunning." I remembered how I felt in it. Like the prettiest girl in the world.
"I can't wait to see you. After all I haven't seen you in a dress since your beauty queen days. I'm thinking big improvement has been made." I stuck my tongue out at him and lightly pushed him against the piano keys. A jumble of notes came out.
"I was a cute kid, Nicholas." I put my hands on my hips. He stood making my stumble back a little. His arm reached around and kept me from falling. At the same time I ended up against his chest. I got a half smile.
"You were, but now you are a completely stunning woman. There's a difference." He looked down at me. Quickly I ducked out from his arms and dashed away.
"I am also pretty good at getting away." I stood on the other side of the piano.
"You think I of all people don't know that?" He replied with a small amount of hurt behind his eyes. He moved toward me. I kept it so I was on the other side of the piano at all times. "I've been chasing you for about eight years now. You always seem to get away." We played this cat and mouse game, figuratively and physically. "I've told you that I've love you a million times. I've meant it one way and you've neant it another way." We both moved again. "I don't know if you feel the same or if you are just oblivious to my advances." I thought about that. I felt like I was blind to most of this, until recently. "I don't know how much longer I can handle this emotional abuse I'm causing myself. You know how you said you had figured some songs had been about you. You know what? I'll give everything that I've got left to show you I mean what I have said. I know I was such a fool but I can't live without you. I don't wanna fall asleep don't know if I'll get up. I don't wanna cause a scene, but I'm dying without your love. I'm begging to hear your voice. Tell me you love me too because I'd rather just be alone if I know that I can't have you." He didn't sing it he said it. "Tell me the truth cause I'm so confused. Spinning round these walls are falling down and I need you. More than you know, I'm not letting go. I'm getting close so take my hand and please just tell me why." He sat back on the bench with his head in his hands. "I never told you that not all of the songs about you were nice,happy songs. You've hurt me more than you know. You've picked me up and let me down with out even realizing it and that is what scares me most about out. The way you go through live without knowing the havoc you wreck on the world around you. You break my heart every time you walk into the same room as me." I stood there not knowing how to respond to the position I got myself into. There was a long silence as we both stood waiting for the verdict to come.
"Nick." I didn't meant to speak, but it came out. "You know I have absolutely adored you since those thirty minute rides in the car to and from each others house. But I have to get used to this idea. It's going to be a hard change from me. You can't just thrust me out into the spotlight like this. I can hardly be a normal teenager as it is now. I have a body guard for when I'm out. We had to put higher security on the house. I had to delete my Facebook account. Change phone numbers. Everything."
"I can help you. I've made my life as normal as possible. I can help with yours. I've been waiting for you for a long time." I moved around the piano.
"Just give me time Nick." I turned away.
"Cause eight years wasn't enough." He mumbled.
"So now you are going to be sassy?" I faced him with my hands on my hips.
"Don't I deserve that much?" He stood up, brows furrowed in frustration. "I have been nothing, but patient with you. I gave you all the hints in the world. Even when I'm completely up front about it you brush it off like it's nothing."
"It's not like I've picked up on all your wonderful hints, Nicholas. You aren't the easiest to figure out."
"And you think you are?" He responded stepping forward.
"Yeah, I do."
"Cause I'm still getting mixed signals from you." I took a step closer ending up right against him.
"And you are a complete mess so no wonder why I've needed eight years to try and figure you out." He looked at me hurt.
"There you go again. You cause more destruction than you know what to do about. You could be the new Godzilla, but you are to short."
"Really, you are going to go there? Make a short joke. Real mature, Nick."
"At least I know what I want."
"Just shut up already."
"No I'm not going to lay down and just take it anymore. You've played with my heart to long."
"You know what, Nick?"
"Oh now you are going to tell me that I need to grow up and grow a pair because you need time. And then we'll fight some more and." I got on my tip toes and kissed him before backing away.
"Actually, I was going to say fine you win. Then I was going to tell you to grow a pair." I walked out of the room. I had a lot to ponder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me how I'm doing. What do you think is going to happen? What would you like to see in this story?
Comments, please.
<3 Kelsey