I Want You On My Team

A Glimpse of Heaven

My date arrived this morning. I almost couldn't keep my secret inside when he hugged me at the airport. So instead of talking about it I kissed his cheek. “You are going to shave before tonight, right?” His mom laughed behind him.
“Of course. I just wanted it to be fresh so I was waiting until today. Got to look my best if a want to impress my date.” I smiled at his response. On the ride home the three of us made small talk about our lives. I told them of how difficult mine has been. As I turned my car into my drive passing the cameras and the guards and pulling right into the garage closing the door behind us. Safely concealing us for the journey inside the house. Our mothers exchanged hugs and greetings. Nick and Daddy shook hands. I smiled, today will be a good day. An hour after they arrived the beauty team showed up. Mother called in a few favors from a few friends in the hair and makeup business. She wanted to make sure I had the best for my big day. This event is third only to my wedding and graduation. She wanted me so be spectacular.
One of the ladies from the group took my arm and whisked me off with them. To my room where no one would see me until it was time for Nick and me to leave for dinner. They had me sit on a chair in my bathroom. I was primed and primped and put right for hours. They seemed to enjoy themselves. In my mind I ridiculed my mother for submitting me to the full treatment. Hair, nails, body, and dressing. I was put safely in my dress and triple checked for flaws. They strapped me in my shoes and kissed on both cheeks before they went up to tell my mother that I was ready and make sure everyone was elsewhere so that I could make a proper entrance. That meant I had to go from my room in the basement to the upstairs so I could walk down the staircase. They were looking for a dramatic reveal. So once the coast was clear I trekked up to the guest bedroom. I sat on the bed next to Ms. Denise’s suitcase. Waited patiently. Minutes later I stood and smoothed out my dress. Walked to the mirror to check if I looked okay. It was time for my appearance at the top of the stairs. I breathed in and out before opening the door. Like I would if I was stepping on the mat I drew my inner confidence. I seized that staircase. I took the show like I did every time, but somehow this was different. Because at the bottom of the stairs stood a man who looked at me much like a groom gazed at his bride walking down the aisle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me how I am doing.
<3 Kelsey