I Want You On My Team

Tonight You’re Going to Show Me

I couldn't help, but grin as widely as possible when I positioned myself at the bottom of the stairs next to him as my parents took pictures of us. I held Nick just a little bit tighter then I usually would. We turned to face each other. I looked up my eyes told him a story of how I felt. His hands were on the small of my back holding me close. I put mine on the back of his neck. They snapped a few pictures and finally we heard the beep of the limo out front. Together we walked to the door. I inhaled and exhaled before opening the door and facing the outside world. The people that were waiting at the end of our driveway would only get blurry pictures of us, but it still bothers me that they would try. We hurried into the limo and sat next to each other. The driver was promised a large tip if he kept the block up between us and him. He has set destinations. Next stop was Holland’s house. I promised her we could be together tonight and she promised she wouldn't have a freak out about Nick. She also made her boyfriend, Kyle, promise not to post anything anywhere about being with us until after we were safely home. He of course agreed because he is super awesome and would do anything for Holland. We pulled up along the curb and waited. After a few minutes people with cameras started knocking on the windows which they couldn't see through for us to roll one down. I saw as body guards to their posts on each side of their front walk. This gave the couple smooth sailing from house to car. She sat down smoothing out her peach dress and Kyle sat next to her holding her hand.
“Wow! You really know how to make a girl feel like she is famous.” Holland joked at us.
“Sorry, Holland.” I apologized.
“No, I am loving it. Oh, girl you’re looking especially sexy today might I add.” She winked at me and out of the corner of my eye I saw Nick get this little grin. “Nicholas, thoughts of purity please. Damn boy.” I giggled leave it to my best friend to get Nick to blush within two minutes of getting in the car.
“I wasn't thinking about that. Don’t worry my intentions are pure, for now.” He added just to get her eyes to go wide. “Plus she’s not my girlfriend. Yet.” Holland put her hands on her hips.
“Alexis Danielle Carter, why they hell are you not getting a piece of this here fine man?” Nick and Kyle laughed. I hid my face in my hands. “What? You ashamed you are missing out on all that? If I was you I would too. Now you better make it up to him. He has had to miss out on you too. We all know that you are one fine lady. It’s about time you share that with somebody.” I laughed into Nick’s chest. The limo stopped so we must have arrived at the country club my mom cleared for the night just for us. No cameras could get in here so we were safe. “One picture in the limo together before dinner, okay?” She asked.
“As long as it isn't posted online until tomorrow morning.” I reminded them and we all smashed together for a group shot. The driver opened the door and turned away. We each thanked him as we ran into the building all starving. Inside we were ushered in by a worker. My parents had orchestrated this well. Everyone involved was on a binding legal contract of silence until eleven tomorrow morning. Even the school, who was having kids turn in cell phones and cameras at arrival to the dance. They had rented 400 cameras to be used during the dance that would all simultaneously post at eleven the next day onto the school’s website. No one would be allowed to sell photos from that page.
As we reached the table Nick pulled out my chair for me. I looked at him and smiled hugely. He looked amazing. Even if this was the millionth time I had seen him in a tuxedo. My eyes had been changed to see him in a new light. He rarely wore tuxedos with any color. Tonight he had a red vest and bow tie with a rose and baby’s breath pinned to his lapel. This would be his first actual prom night. He never got to enjoy on of his own. I wanted this to be memorable for him. It was bound to be with what I was going to tell him. We ordered our dinners.
“Nick, can I talk to you out on the balcony?” I asked standing up and taking a few steps toward the door. He pushed his chair back and came to my side and followed me out. I reminded myself that I was ready for this. It was time to clear my conscious.
♠ ♠ ♠
How do you like it?
<3 Kelsey