I Want You On My Team

All I Ever Wanted

I viewed the golf course before turning to look Nick in the face. He smiled at me slightly. I turned back to the scenery for a minute. Why couldn't I think of how to put this into words? I had been thinking about this for a long time and when it finally comes I am speechless. I took his hand, finding his eyes with mine.
“I haven’t been completely honest with you.” I told him.
“I know that. I've been seeing it in your actions and words. Mostly it’s in your eyes.”
“I don’t have to say it then?” I followed turning towards the door to head back inside.
“You do because I need to hear the truth as much as you need to say it.” He took my shoulders and pulled me back around. In these shoes I was eye level with his lips. Quickly, I looked up to his eyes so I wouldn't be tempted.
“Nick. It’s hard for me to admit this, but sometime during all those fights I started to feel something. Maybe even before that. I was dragging my feet I know, but change is hard. I've always had you there as a best friend. I don’t know what to do with anything else. I just wanted things to stay the same, but I wasn't letting myself to keep it that way. All the while I was putting up a fight on the outside. My insides just wanted to give you a hug. Hold your hand. Whatever. And these past few weeks I couldn't even pull myself do all the things that had kept me from feeling anything sisterly toward you. I just can’t do that. I kept thinking about how you held me when you spent the weekend here and I had a dream about you and I was a mess.” I stopped to breathe. “And, when I kissed you and then I spent the night avoiding you because I didn't want to see you and do it again because I knew it would happen again. I wanted it to happen again, but I knew I shouldn't. Even now, when they all see I am going to hear I told you so. After all this time I didn't want them to be right. Since we were children we were the joke around them. Oh, Nick and Callie? They are going to fall in love. It’s bound to happen. I didn't want to be what they expected. Nicholas and Alexis forever bound because their families predicted it.” He put a finger on my lips.
“Callie… Lex whatever you feel like your name should be right now. I didn't fall in love with you because they expected me to. I’m in love with you because you are you.” His hand clasped mine. “I don’t care what they’ll say about us. I never had. They may tease me all they want, but in the end I chose you. They didn't choose for me.”
“I love you too.” I whispered, finally admitting it aloud. He pulled my chin up so he could see my face.
“What did you say?” I knew he had heard it, but he wanted to make sure I would say it again.
“I love you.” I said in a louder voice.
“Can you kiss me for real this time?” He poked my nose, making fun of the first time I kissed him.
“We can erase that other time. We’ll make this feel like the first time without it being the first time.” He smiled and nodded in agreement. Stealthily he wrapped his arms around my waist and leaned down. So close to me that he was almost kissing me. Like he wanted me to go that extra bit. I leaned up a teeny tiny little centimeter and we met each other for a brief second. Splitting apart as Holland opened the door announcing dinner’s arrival. Without a sound we reentered the building and found our seats.
“Don’t tell me you two finally kissed, didn't you? Liked it, didn't you? Took you long enough.” Holland spoke before pointing at both of us. “That should have happened months ago. Maybe even years.”
♠ ♠ ♠
What you hoped for?
<3 Kelsey