Status: I'm back! Working on Chapter 32 :)

Safe & Sound

Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back.

''I can't take this anymore. Either you discharge me or I'm walking out myself.''

''Harry, please,'' Anne quietly urges from beside him.

''No, Mum, I'm going mad. I'm perfectly fine now. They should give this bed to someone who actually needs it.''

''Mr. Styles, you have six more hours of inpatient care,'' the nurse before him informatively reads from her paperwork.

''And I'm telling you I don't need it. All I've been doing is lying around. It's bloody ridiculous.'' Harry takes a shaky breath and moments later extends his hand out in a plea. ''Okay, look, at least let me see her. She's just downstairs. I'll stop complaining if I can just see her once.''

''I can't,'' the nurse answers quite sympathetically, ''I have specific instructions not to let you leave until your recovery is complete.''

''I'm fine! I've recovered! I feel---''

Harry's voice catches slightly in the back of his throat and he squirms uncomfortably. He doesn't reach for his side to prevent them all from seeing that he's still in some pain.

''I feel great,'' he breathes.

The nurse then smiles as if she knows exactly what he's hiding. ''Rushing it won't make it happen any sooner, Harry. Six hours.''

He groans when she turns on her heel to leave and his plan to convince her officially fails. His mother pats his back reassuringly and Gemma laughs at him looking like a stubborn child having a tantrum.

''It's not funny,'' he mumbles in her direction.

''It is a bit,'' she giggles. But soon, after a few half-amused glares from her mother, she wipes the smirk off her face and turns to him. ''Six hours isn't that long, alright? I know you want to see her but she's fine. She's with Kenn right now. Just calm down. If it helps any, she's looking lovely.''

He's reluctant to meet her eyes at first, still bitter about his seemingly very unfair situation.

''She is?'' he eventually asks.

''She's smiling again,'' Gemma nods, ''You'll see for yourself soon.''

Harry hopes so. He hates being so separated from the child, especially now when she's showing such promising signs of improvement. The pain in his left side hipbone was expected, but he didn't sign up for being chained up in this room without her for an entire day.

''I need coffee,'' Anne finally sighs after ages of comforting her son. Gemma's been waiting for this. ''You want some?''

Gemma shakes her head. She waits until she's properly out of earshot, walking out towards the cafeteria, to erupt into a smile.

''Alright, enough moping.'' Gemma chuckles before quickly taking a seat in front of Harry. ''I have something that might cheer you up.''

He eyes her suspiciously. ''What?''

''I was thinking,'' Gemma says, ''When she's released, we should celebrate. I mean, big time. It's going to be a huge deal for Kennedy especially to finally get to bring her home, don't you think?''

It warms him to be able to think of Addison's future again. So much time has passed being unsure of whether she'd make it to even the next few weeks.

''That's a great idea,'' he agrees, ''You don't think Kenn would be embarrassed, do you?''

Gemma grins. ''You know her. Absolutely, she'll be embarrassed, but underneath I think she'd love it.''

He smiles, finally letting the bitterness go.

''But why'd you wait to tell me until Mum left?''

''Because,'' she sighs, ''We both know what she'll try to do and I don't think that's what Kenn will want. So, best keep it a secret until the day, yeah?''

He nods in sudden understanding. ''You got it.''

+++


''Fantastic job, Addie. Sorry, the stethoscope is cold. Now, can you open wide for me? Say 'ah,' please?''

Addison does as she's told, although a bit apprehensively. Within the past few hours of having them around, she's come to differentiate between her mother, her doctor, and Gemma when they come to visit her, but it's still a bit scary to be surrounded by people in masks and gloves. It makes them all look like monsters in her mind if she doesn't keep her attention focused on the parts of them she can recognize, like the waves of her mother's hair, the green of Gemma's eyes, and the little name-tag on her doctor's chest that has little symbols on it that she's not yet able to read. She allows Dr. Holmes before her to examine the back of her throat with a tiny flashlight, trusting that she is who she claims to be and not some monster somewhere who just stole her tag.

''Thank you very much,'' the doctor says with a smile before clicking off the light and scribbling a note into the child's file. She turns to Kennedy. ''Everything looks good so far.''

Kennedy breathes a sigh of relief. Every time for the past few hours that Addison has been checked on, Kennedy's nerves have gone haywire in fear of the bad news she's just waiting to come and ruin the seemingly wonderful recovery.

''The first few hours are always tricky,'' Dr. Holmes explains, ''But I think she's gotten over the hurdle.''

''Why does everyone look like that?'' Addie finally speaks up quietly from her bed. Not even her mother's reassuring hand over hers can ease the anxiety in her eyes. She's been too shy to ask this important question for a while.

''So that we can keep all the bad stuff away from you,'' Dr. Holmes simply tells her, ''We look silly so we can keep you safe.''

''Will you forever?''

''No, no,'' Holmes laughs, ''Just for a bit. We'll all start looking normal again soon.''

''Oh,'' Addison sighs, ''Okay.''

The doctor chuckles before retrieving the rest of the papers and assuring she'll be back later.

''Thank you,'' Kennedy urges, receiving a nod and a warm smile in return. Having proper communication like this with the woman gives her a strong sense of positivity. For the first time in Addie's long duration of treatments, she feels like things may finally be looking up.

''Mama, I'm feeling better,'' Addie softly murmurs as her head falls slightly onto Charlie's, ''Not a one but maybe a three.''

Kennedy runs her gloved hand comfortingly over her forehead. ''It'll be a one with time.''

''Maybe it will when Daddy gets here.''

''Let's hope so. Until then, get some sleep, okay?''

The child's eyelids droop, but she insists otherwise. ''I'm not tired.''

''Is Charlie tired?''

She glances down at the stuffed bear in her arms as if to ask him.

''A bit,'' she answers, ''But he doesn't want to sleep in case Daddy comes.''

Kennedy smiles and it saddens her that Addison can't see it.

''Tell Charlie that I'll wake him when Daddy comes,'' she promises.

''Right when he comes?''

Kennedy nods. ''Exactly when.''

It's clear that the child is debating it at first, and her mother's never failed her before, so she succumbs to her wishes, nestling more against Charlie.

''Mama?'' she asks as Kennedy tucks her more tightly into the blankets.

''Yes?''

''When we go home, is Daddy going to be there, too?''

''Daddy will vis---''

The more Kennedy stares down at the child's hopeful eyes, the more she realizes she can't say the words she was about to say.

''Of course,'' she amends her answer.

+++


The six hours Harry must face feel more like double, even triple the time the longer he has to stay lying in bed, watching the mute newscasts on the ancient box of a television on the wall. His mother and sister keep him company, but even then he can't focus on anything as long as Addison and even Kennedy are separated from him. His eyes point in distant directions facing the ceiling, and at times he has no control over how deep his daydreams get. He just keeps thinking of all the birthdays they'll be able to celebrate now. All the Christmases and New Years and lazy afternoons on the couch playing the fruit game. Even if Kennedy refuses his offer to stay as a more permanent part of her life, there's no taking Addison away from him now. If that happens, he'll still visit. He'll still call. At much cost to his own heart, yes, but he'll do it for Addison's sake.

He thinks of the many memories that the child can now make. She'll learn to read. She'll start attending school like she so desperately wants to do. She'll make new friends. She'll grow into that beautiful chestnut hair like her mother's. She'll fall in love and, maybe if he's lucky, he'll still be able to walk her down the aisle. She'll have her own children someday, despite the odds of the disease making her infertile. She'll get older and these memories of these god awful treatments will fade, and she'll finally get to live the life that she deserves. And none of it is all that far away. That's what brings a smile to his face even now when each one of those things has just become a very real, very plausible outcome.

But thinking of her long and healthy life in that terms soon makes his smile fade. Time is fleeting. She's going to grow before his very eyes and, soon enough, he won't be able to scoop her up against his chest anymore or toss her in the air before they fall onto the couch. She'll pass the age of being madly in love with the man she believes is her father. She'll become a teenager, ridden with angst and embarrassment. He'll have to keep his distance. He'll have to endure her getting her heart broken, getting a bad grade, making mistakes, all the milestones of maturation. The more he thinks about it, the more his impatience to see her now, still as her three-year-old self, grows.

When his cell phone alarm goes off and the time comes for him to finally be checked out, he acts as if he's on fire. His leg twitches in frustration during his final check-up. He downs his last dose of medication without any water and, even though he could use a few more pills for later, he insists he's just fine. The nurse runs through her procedural warnings and cautions with a smile. Nearly everyone on shift in the department knows how eager he is to see the child. Once the closing remarks are made, he sets off without a look back, not even bothering to cut off the paper bracelet from his wrist.

It feels good to stretch his legs, but as much as he wants to pick up the pace and run, the stiffness in his side doesn't allow him. He tries to ignore it until he gets to the ICU. He doesn't even notice that Gemma and Anne are close on his tail.

Gemma shows them both what they need to do to suit up before entering the room. It shocks Harry a bit. He can only imagine how it must make Addison feel. When they're finished, Gemma and Anne wait outside to allow him the time with her that he deserves and has been waiting so long for.

As he enters and shuts the glass door behind him, he sees Kennedy at her bedside. Gently, she places a hand over the child's hand and squeezes to wake her up.

''Addie, look who's here,'' she grins.

Addison takes some extra stirring but eventually her eyes open, narrowly at first but widening the more she takes in the scene. When her gaze lands on Harry, she whimpers in fear because she can't recognize him yet.

''It's okay,'' he assures in a gentle voice muffled a bit by the mask, ''It's me. Look.''

He bends down to her level so she can see his eyes. They're green, just like she remembers. But just to be sure, she raises her hand to lose her fingers in his hair, feeling around to make sure they're his waves and not some imposter's.

''Daddy,'' she smiles brightly in realization.

''Hey,'' he chuckles, ''How are you feeling? Hi, Charlie.''

''A one now that you're here,'' she tells him with a glance in her mother's direction.

''A one?'' he asks in pleasant surprise, ''That's the lowest I've heard.''

Kennedy watches intently as Addison reaches for Harry's hand and, when he feels it, he takes hers. The child stares up at him with the biggest set of eyes he's ever seen and he knows he'll never forget what she's about to say to him.

''Thank you for my present.''

He can feel the stinging behind his eyes already. He doesn't want to waste another moment and leans into her, letting his head fall against her so she can pat it.

''You're welcome,'' he whispers.

+++


Having Harry up and about is good news for Kennedy for more reasons than one. Perhaps the best reason is that now, there are more people around to stay awake when she needs to sleep. She's developed an awful habit of fighting sleep in case Addison wakes up, wants her mother, but can't find her. With Harry around, and even Gemma, and Anne when visiting hours permit, Kennedy has some peace of mind.

She sits in a chair against the window after a much needed nap, reading through a newspaper. These past few months have been so hectic that she's lost all sense of time and missed the fact that it's now winter. Every few moments, she glances over at Harry with her daughter. It's the first time she's ever trusted anyone enough to let them be the one who feeds her in her place. He spoons applesauce into the child's mouth with so much ease that she swears he must have done this before. Even the stories that he tells her to distract her from refusing to open her mouth are genius.

''And then, Gemma came home from school and ripped up my revision homework just because I told our mum what she did,'' he tells her amusedly, ''She got into so much trouble for being mean to that boy in her class that Mum didn't let her watch her favorite show for a month.''

From her chair, Kennedy chuckles under her breath.

''But she's nice,'' Addison points in confusion after swallowing.

''She is now,'' Harry laughs, ''No, she was always nice. But back then, sometimes she liked to bully me.''

The child can't ask why with her mouth now full after he feeds her another spoon, but he understands her question by the look in her eyes.

''That's just what brothers and sisters do sometimes,'' he answers, ''They fight, but they still love each other very much.''

The room is quiet for a bit until Addison finishes her applesauce.

''Mama?'' she asks a bit louder so that she can stretch across the room.

Kennedy looks up from the paper in response.

''Can I have a brother or sister, please?''

She's thankful she has a mask on so neither of them can see her blushing in amusement.

''Um, maybe one day, love.''

''I would be nice to them, I promise,''Addison encourages.

Harry laughs at her enthusiasm, looking down as he sets the empty bowl aside.

''I know you would be,'' Kennedy tells her.

''Can we get one when we get home?''

''Addie,'' her mother chuckles, ''It's not so easy. It's not like, you know, getting a puppy or something.''

''Oh, can we get one of those, too?''

Harry tries to control his laughter for the sake of the still lingering discomfort in his side, but it's difficult when the child before him is bursting with this excitement.

''Maybe. We'll talk about it when we get home,'' Kennedy smiles.

The answer seems to satisfy Addison for the time being and she ceases her requests for siblings and pets. Kennedy knows it's only because the child has been lonely for so long. Having a new family in her eyes has shown her how healing and life-enriching it can be to have people like this care for her this much.

Shortly, Dr. Holmes enters the room with an assisting nurse and introduces herself to Harry. She explains that she has to run some antibody tests and she needs a blood sample. Harry expects Addison to be afraid when she sees the needle, but she's become so used to it that it's second nature now to cringe and bear it. Her attention is turned toward the nurse pricking her arm while Dr. Holmes takes the moment to review the file.

''I think if things keep going this well,'' she tells Harry and Kennedy together, ''then she'll be set for outpatient in about three weeks, which is fantastic time.''

They eye each other happily. The sooner Addison can get out of here, the better.

''You know, I was surprised that there was a match that close between you,'' the doctor goes on nonchalantly, still looking through the file, ''It's usually siblings that are the best, not parents.''

''I guess we got lucky,'' Harry grins.

''Definitely,'' she nods, looking up. The nurse hands her the vial and she holds her clipboard in the crook of her arm. ''I'll be back later with the results.''

As she stares at the woman's back on her way out the door, Kennedy can't help but feel a bit uneasy. She excuses herself for a brief moment, knowing that Addie is in good hands with Harry and can do without her for a few minutes as she steps out.

She pulls the mask off and tries not to twist it to bits in her hands.

''Dr. Holmes,'' she sighs when she catches her behind the front desk.

She looks up in surprise from the computer she's typing away on.''Ms. Ellis, hi.''

''Just wanted to, uh, say thank you again,'' Kennedy smiles, ''You're treating Addie so well and she's so comfortable with you.''

''Oh, she makes it so easy. Really, it's my pleasure.''

Dr. Holmes simultaneously types onto the keyboard and mutters a few orders to nurses who pass her by. Kennedy clears her throat out of uncertainty over how to ask this question without seeming odd.

''Is it the hair? Or...or the dimples?''

The doctor glances up, confused. ''I'm sorry?''

''It must be the hair since you can't see the dimples under the mask.''

''Ms. Ellis, are you alright? I'm not understanding.''

''Oh, sorry,'' Kennedy shakes her head, ''I'm just wondering what made you assume that Harry was a parent back there. I realized that neither of us told you, so there must be a way. Did the oncologists from upstairs mention it?''

''Oh,'' Dr. Holmes' creased eyebrows are suddenly replaced with a smile, ''We got paperwork from Oncology, yes, but nothing except lab work. The hair is similar. She's got your color. Not sure about the dimples, but I'll let you know when I see them.''

She winks as if she's in on a joke, but Kennedy still isn't satisfied.

''So then how...?''

Dr. Holmes enters her final notes into the computer and stands, holding her clipboard and Addie's vial in her hand, prepared to run the test.

''The physical similarities aren't what made me assume,'' she tells her simply with a casual tap against the clipboard, ''The blood is.''

Entirely unaware of the sheer significance of what she's just said, Dr. Holmes excuses herself to continue her work and leaves Kennedy standing dumbfounded in front of the desk, half feeling as if bursting into tears and half as if her legs may just give out at any second.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been suffering today. First with relentless nerves about this new job I just got. Second with this. Ughh, shoot me.

Title Credit: ''Dog Days Are Over'' by Florence + the Machine