Status: ((hopefully)) regular updates

Secondhand

Chapter 1

“I still don't know why you're making me come to this, Juliette. I don't even like this kind of music.”

“I'm doing you a favor and broadening your horizons. Just trust me. I've heard that this band is amazing.”

“I hate you, you know.”

“I love you, too. This is going to be a good thing. You have barely left your house in almost four months. I know you're still upset, but you're borderline on becoming agoraphobic.”

“What does that even mean?”

“It's someone who is afraid to leave their house. You quit your job and pushed away all your friends. I know that you're barely making it by. I also know that you loved Brady, but Alan, you can't wallow forever.”

“Do you know what it feels like to have your heart shattered into trillions of pieces by someone who promised they'd never hurt you? It isn't something you get over quickly. I mean, I was going to propose to him!”

“I didn't know that, Alan. Why didn't you tell me?”

“I couldn't. I still can't think about it or face it now.”

Instinctively, I scratched at my upper thigh through the material of my gray jeans.

“You've heard this a million times, I know, but Brady wasn't ever good enough for you. There was always something a little off about him. I really just want to give the guy a good piece of my mind.”

“Yeah, well, he skipped town with his other true love, so that's one dream that is never coming true.”

My best friend of nine years and I finally reached our destination. Above us hung a neon sign that blinked out the word “Uprising.” The building itself had been constructed from stone that was a deep, rough black. It wasn't all that inviting honestly.

“This is it.”

“Well, isn't it just so charming?” I said, sarcasm laced through my words like venom through veins.

“Just give it a chance. Take a chance, please. Who knows, maybe tonight, something will happen. Maybe tonight you'll meet a tall, dark stranger who'll sweep you off your feet and fall deeply and madly in love with you.”

“Oh, I'm sure. So many guys want the awkward, emotionally unstable, ginger kid. Really, I am quite the catch. Seriously, Juliette? Do you seriously think anyone in their right mind would fall in love with me? The answer is no. I'm way too broken for anyone to want to pick me up and try to put me back together again.”

“Don't you talk like that, Alan! Any guy would be lucky to have you. This time though, we need to be positive that he's worthy of you.”

I rolled my eyes as we entered the bar and venue.

“I'll go get us some drinks. Go find us a table and preferably a tall, dark, handsome guy.” She winked at me and wandered off in the direction of the bar.

I took in my surroundings as I searched for a table. The place was even less appealing on the inside. Tons of tables were void of guests, but remained uncleaned by a seemingly nonexistent floor staff. Empty beer bottles and cans littered the poor, distressed hardwood floor. As the thought crossed my mind, I stepped in a large puddle of amber liquid. Yum. My right shoe was completely soaked almost instantly, but I had located a table not far from the spill. I quickly sat, squirming in discomfort because of my drenched right foot, and waited for Juliette to come find me. I was praying she'd hurry, because this was seriously so gross.

The second that Juliette came back, I told her what had happened and went out behind the dingy bar to attempt to dry off my shoes. I sat down on the curb with a sigh, pulling on the damp lace of my black Vans. Well, the one that was wet anyways. I pulled a pack of cigarettes from the right pocket of my plain black hoodie and a lighter from the left one. I know that smoking is a bad thing, but it was a habit I had picked up in college to relax and never took the initiative to stop.

I closed my eyes as I took a long drag from the stick full of cancer that I held in my fingers. A rustling of fabric broke me from the trance that smoking created. I was more than shocked to be greeted by the sight of a man who was seemingly tall, dark, and handsome. Funny trick you've decided to play on my unfortunate soul tonight, dear universe.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm already excited for this, just because it is so different from KMA. The guys would be older than they are now, probably around 26 and 28. I really do apologize for metaphorically abandoning ship on KMA and I hope that you like this more.

Enjoy.

xo,
Presley