Status: ((hopefully)) regular updates

Secondhand

Chapter 15

Exhausted from the day out on the beach, Austin and I returned to his apartment. He had cooked for me, which I found utterly adorable. Now, we were cuddled together on the couch, talking about everything in life that had gotten us to this moment while a Pink Floyd song from Dark Side Of The Moon played on Pandora in the background. I had learned all about Austin's past and my heart hurt for him. It made sense now why he was so bitter when we first met. I couldn't help but feel a little pride in being the person to change him for the better. He was incredibly strong, having dealt with all he did as well as he had.

He knew all about my life as well. I had even told him some of the more private things that even Brady had not known. I trusted Austin far more than Brady, even though I had known Brady for two years before he asked me out. It was odd, the trust that Austin and I shared. For the first time since Brady leaving me, I felt safe around someone. It was something I am already eternally grateful for. I didn't think I could ever find anyone who made me feel the way Austin did. I honestly might be in love with him, but I did not want to tell him that right now.

It wasn't that I thought he would react badly, no. It was because I really liked the air of complete and total innocence that surrounded whatever it was we had. Maybe it was selfish to withhold what I was feeling for Austin, but I didn't want to confess just yet. Though I forgot constantly, we hadn't exactly known each other very long. What if I told him about hearing his confession about falling in love with me? Would he feel as if his privacy had been invaded? I mean, I knew he hadn't intended for me to hear, but he had made the announcement out loud. It was a risk I needed to take because I was desperate to know if he had meant it when he said it.

“Hey, Austin?”

“Hm?”

“Last night, before I fell asleep, I-I heard you say something.”

A puzzled look crossed his flawless features and one of his eyebrows raised.

“What did I say?”

“Y-you said that, that you might be falling in love with me,” I said quietly.

“You heard that?”

I nod slowly.

“Shit.”

“I-it's okay. We can just act like it never happened. I know you didn't mean for me to hear.”

“I thought you were asleep.”

“I know you did. It's fine, really. We can just forget it.”

Austin sighed and ran a hand through his hair as we heard a key in the lock. Shayley entered the apartment, looking much happier than he had been when he left. Austin noticed the change in his demeanor as well.

“Why so happy, Shayco?”

“I got a date?” he replied, sounding more as if he was asking a question.

“You did? Way to go, man. I can't believe you asked someone out.”

“I didn't.”

“What?”

“He asked me.”

“Really?”

“Don't sound so shocked, asshole.”

“In my defense, it's been like two years since you've even considered going out with anyone?”

I welcomed the aversion Shayley had created from Austin and I's previous conversation and zoned out for the remainder of their discussion. However, my attention snapped back when I heard a name I had tried to avoid for months.

“His name is Brady and he's literally so great.”

Austin's eyes went wide and my heart sped up. Surely he couldn't mean...

“What's his last name, Shay?”

“Matthews. Why?”

Austin looked over at me and I nodded my head in conformation.

“Fuck,” Austin muttered.

“What? What's wrong?”

“Brady is my ex-boyfriend.”

“Are you kidding?”

“I wish.”

“What do I do?”

“Well, I can't make you do anything, but I know it would be better if you didn't date him. Not for my sake, but yours. He's a heart breaker, I promise. First he turns on the charm so that you can't resist him. He does the whole 'open doors, pay the bill, kiss your hand' thing so that you are so utterly attracted to the gentlemanly way he's acting, that you forgive any little mistake he makes. Then, those mistakes happen more and more often. You live in complete fear and loathing. Things blow up and he leaves you in the dirt with whoever he was cheating on you with.”

I hadn't noticed until I finished speaking, but tears were freely flowing down my cheeks at the memories that had destroyed me. Shayley looked sad from where he remained by the door and Austin pulled me into his arms as I cried into his chest. He stroked my hair and kissed my forehead, attempting to restore my previous state of calmness. I was over Brady, but I was still hurt over how he had betrayed me.

“Part of me wants to ask if you're serious but it's pretty obvious that you are.”

“Shay, you can't allow yourself to get hurt like that. Please. Learn from my mistake. I don't want you to hurt the way I did.”

“I'll go with him once, only for a short time, just so I don't completely stand him up. It seems like he would deserve it, though, for treating you that way.”

“He's not going to let you leave that easy. You need a reason to be out of there quickly. Did you tell him you were single?”

“No, I think he just assumed.”

“That's helpful. You need to find someone to take with you as your 'boyfriend.' I would do it, but that would probably cause more problems.”

“I'll do it,” Austin spoke.

“You will?”

“Sure. People thought we were together all the time before. It's no big deal for me. You okay with that, Shay?”

“You're certainly not the first person I would pick, but since I have no other choice, it seems we have a date, Austin Robert.”

“You weird me out.”

“Love you too, baby,” Shayley replied with a wink. “Well, I'm exhausted, so I'm going to bed. If you're gonna fuck, please, keep it quiet. I need some beauty sleep.”

“Fuck you, Shayley.”

“No, I said fuck quietly.”

He laughed and left the living room.

Ignoring him, Austin asked, “Do you want to go to sleep?”

I nodded against him and stood from the couch, pulling him up with me. He hugged me tight before wandering into his bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
For some reason this chapter reminds me of Homewrecker. "Every boyfriend is the one until otherwise proven. The good are never easy, the easy never good and love it never happens like you think it really should." idk. Since I'm still so happy about seeing Marina & The Diamonds, if you can find the Marina reference in this chapter, I'll write a oneshot for you, any pairing? (I might also want to marry you as well, but no one wants that.)

((Hint: it's not Alan talking about Brady being a heart breaker. It can't be that obvious.))

Enjoy.

xo,
Presley

My Tumblr is here.