Status: ((hopefully)) regular updates

Secondhand

Chapter 3

When I awoke, I found myself in an unfamiliar apartment. I tried to blink rapidly a few times, but my eye was so swollen it was all I could do not to cry out in pain. Very slowly, I sat up and looked around. The place wasn't exactly what I would call well kept up. At all. Why was I here? How did I get here? Why does everything hurt?

“Oh, you're awake.”

I jumped at the sound of someone behind me.

“Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you.”

“H-how did I get here?” My voice came out rough and scratchy.

“Do you remember anything that happened?”

I shook my head. What if this guy had raped me? What if that's why I was hurting so bad? All I remember was going to a bar with Juliette, stepping in beer, the guy outside, and that asshole, Damon. I had no idea who the man in front of me was.

“I think you were walking home from Uprising last night. I was going the same way and I saw two guys come from the alley and grab you. My guess is, they were trying to kidnap you. Anyways, I punched one of them in the jaw and I guess it scared them both because they ran off. I untied your arms and legs, and I think you passed out right after that. Do you know your name? Oh, mine's Shayley, by the way.”

So he was the one who saved me. The more I thought about all that he said, the more memories of what happened came back.

“Alan As-ashby.”

“That's what your license said. Good.”

“You went through my wallet?” I croaked.

“Yeah. I promise I didn't take anything. It's there on the table. I just didn't know who you were and you weren't exactly fit to tell me. Do you want some water or orange juice or something? It might make it easier to talk.”

Slightly skeptical, I nodded. He could have done anything to orange juice, but my throat was burning so badly. He had helped me last night, why would he hurt me now?

Shayley came over to where I sat on the couch and extended his hand.

“I know you can't walk on your own. Come on. I'll help you.”

I put my hand in his and he pulled me up so that I was facing him. I tried to take a step but wobbled and crashed into Shayley's side.

“Hey now. I told you I'd help you. Those guys hurt you pretty badly. Do you have any idea who they would be? Taken any guy's girlfriend so that they'd want revenge or something?”

Slowly, we made our way into his kitchen and he helped me sit at the table. I laughed a little and shook my head as he got two glasses and a carton of orange juice from the fridge.

“You sure? You seem like the type of guy girls would want,” he said, handing me a glass and sitting across the table.

“Yeah,” I said, after taking a drink and clearing my throat. “I'm sure. I, uh, I'm- well, don't freak out.”

“Of course not. You're what?”

“I'm gay.”

“Really? You don't seem like it. Though your pants are a little tight and your hair may be a little too in place but.. Okay. Never mind,” he laughed. “It's fine though. I am, too.”

I choked a little on my juice.

“You're kidding.”

Shayley looked as straight as they come. He was well-built and extremely masculine and well, just the opposite of what people would think of when the word gay came to mind. He was attractive, nonetheless.

“Nope.” He smiled from across the table and we both laughed.

“I would've never guessed.”

“Neither would most people. Anyways, what were you doing at Uprising? That place isn't exactly the nicest.”

“Yeah, I noticed. I was there with my friend, Juliette. She dragged me out of the house. I, uh, I hadn't gone much of anywhere in about four months.”

“Why not? If you don't mind me asking.”

“The last guy I dated, I loved him. He dumped me and skipped town with some other guy he was apparently in love with. I, uhm, I was planning on asking him to marry me. Guess I dodged a bullet, huh?” I tried to laugh lightheartedly, but a tear fell down my cheek. Fuck. I didn't want to cry in front of him.

“No, don't cry,” he took my hand from across the table and smiled kindly. “He was clearly stupid for leaving someone like you. I'm sorry. You didn't dodge a bullet. He missed out. I would come hug you, but I think it'd probably hurt.”

I laughed, feeling a little better.

“Thanks, Shayley. For that, for basically saving my life yesterday, just thank you.”

“Well, I wasn't leaving you for those guys to abuse. We need more cute guys like you in the world, not less!”

I blushed and looked down, cringing at the pain in my neck. I put my hand up to rub where it hurt the most.

“You alright?”

“Yeah. My neck, and just about everything else, hurts.”

“Do you want to lie down? It might help.”

“I guess. What time is it?”

Shayley checked his watch before replying.

“It's like 7:30. You've been out all day.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. You can sleep in my bed, if you want. I'll take the couch.”

“Oh, no. I couldn't.”

“You're hurt and need rest. Please?”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

He stood from his seat and helped me to stand. At speeds a turtle could rival, we headed towards his room.

“You can borrow some sweats or something, not that I'm not sure those jeans aren't super comfortable.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem. They'll probably be big, but there's a drawstring,” he said, pulling plain, gray sweats from a dresser drawer. “If you need anything, just yell.”

“Okay. Thank you,” I replied as he exited the room and closed the door.

I slowly set to taking off my dirty jeans, cringing and whimpering in pain as I did so. I'm sure I have never been in so much pain before. Once I had discarded the jeans, I pulled the sweats on with much more ease. I crawled under the sheets and quickly fell asleep.

~

“Brady please. You left me and it hurt then. Why are you doing this?” “You deserve it, you ignorant fuck!” he yelled as he kicked me again. “Did you really let yourself believe that I loved you? Pathetic.” Brady continued to abuse me as I laid on the ground, bound and defenseless. “You meant nothing to me Alan. You're worthless and you deserve to be dead.” Rage flashed in his eyes and I knew what his intentions were. He was going to kill me. He pulled me up off the floor by my throat and I gasped for air. I screamed until no noise came out. The man I had once loved cackled before throwing me to the ground.

“Alan! Alan, wake up!”

My eyes flew open and I cowered away from the person that was yelling. My breathing was labored and I was crying.

“It's okay, Alan. It's me. It's Shay. You were screaming in your sleep. That was all just a nightmare. I'm here. You're okay.”

He was sitting on the bed, looking concerned.

“I- I'm sorry,” I said, calming down and slowing my tears.

“Don't be. Just go back to sleep. It'll all be okay. I'll be in the next room and you'll be okay.”

He stood up slowly, but I grabbed his wrist. I couldn't be alone if the nightmare came back.

“Please stay in here with me,” I whispered, embarrassed.

“Okay. Here, move over.”

Shayley laid down next to me and covered himself with the sheets. I moved closer to him and he put his arms around me, stroking my hair and humming softly. I felt safe with him and I fell back to sleep before he finished humming whatever song it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know there hasn't been any Austlan, but it's coming, I promise!

Enjoy.

xo,
Presley

My Tumblr is here.