Feel This Moment

Enochlophobia

Matt wasn’t paying much attention to where he was going; he had filled out and handed in five applications to a few different jobs, two for tattoo shops [one as a part time artist the other as a late-night cleaner] and the rest were for Tim Horton’s and Starbucks, and Hot Topic. He chuckled, thinking about working in a mall as he rubbed his shoulders. He hadn’t done that since he and – he almost stumbled on the spot. He and his sister Cassidy had worked together at a Hot Topic back in California, before she … Matt’s light heart sunk with a heavy feeling. He hated thinking – knowing – that she was dead. Pushing himself to a walking state again, he pushed his hands into his pockets and watched the cracked pavement.

That was when he collided with someone.

Stumbling back he opened his mouth to apologize, but found that she was beating him to it; her eyes were wide with something other than shock and Matt didn’t have the time to pick out which emotion it was. “N-no, I- I’m sorry, I have to go…” Without a glance back she ran, tears in her eyes. Fear; that’s what it was. Matt – stunned and confused – turned around and bit his lip. He couldn’t just let her go like that. “Wait!” He called uselessly to her, taking off in her direction. He wasn’t the fastest runner, but he was built for stamina, not speed. Within miniutes he had found her, collapsed against a wall and sobbing. He stopped a few feet from her, taking a minute to catch his breath.

“Hey..” Matt started, making her flinch and look up at him with wide wet eyes. “Hey, look, I’m sorry for running into you back there,” He was stopped as she shook her head nervously and stood, holding her hand out with her palm towards him. “No, stop.” She said weakly. “It’s fine, it was m-my fault, and I already apologized. Please, j-just go.” Matt knew this way of taking the blame; she was being abused. She had to be. Matt worried his bottom lip between his teeth as he took another step back and raised his hands up slightly. “Okay. I’m going. But…” he released his lip and gave her a very slight smile. “Could you tell me where Front street is? I only just moved here and –” “Go that way about five blocks, then go left two more blocks. You should hit Front street.” She quickly told him.

He nodded. “Thanks. Uh. I’m Matt.” He offered, unsure of if he should hold his hand out to her or not. Ellie simply nodded. “Ellie.” She seemed calmer, if that could be possible. Mentally recalling the directions she had given him, Matt gave her a warmer smile and then turned, heading back home in that direction. He had walked halfway down the street when he heard her call. “Hey, Matt… wait!” Looking over his shoulder, he found her jogging towards him with a sheepish look, and a blush over her cheeks.

“I… I live on Front street, too.”