Feel This Moment

Make Out in the Attic

“Brian, I can’t.” Matt was talking on the phone, getting the last of his laundry together for tomorrow. He still hadn’t gone to sleep, and he was tired. “Why not, Matt? It’s Zack’s birthday, he’d really appreciate it if you came home for it, dude.” Brian’s hazy voice crackled through the phone, and the tattooed male realized his best friend was smoking. Matt gave a deep sigh, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “Toronto is my home now, Bry. Besides, I just got a job the other day, I can’t just up and leave.” There was a silence on the other line, and Matt was positive Brian was telling Zacky. Or maybe he was on speaker. Who knew? “Fine, man. Just remember your family is here, and we miss you.” Brian hung up before Matt could reply, making the male sigh and chuck his phone onto the bed.

Well. That was a phone call he wasn’t expecting. Matt rolled his shoulders and sat down on his bed, his thoughts swirling with Ellie, Zack, and California.

When Matt woke up the following morning he felt hung over, even though he didn’t drink last night with Ellie. He sat up, groaned, and tossed his long legs over the side of the bed. He needed a coffee, stat. Matt felt dragged out and actually very lonely. 'Maybe getting a dog would help,’ he thought as he reached for a new mug, once he was in the kitchen. Scratching his tattooed chest, he pressed the coffee maker on, and leaned against the counter to think about what Brian had said the night before on the phone. Homesick. That’s how he felt. ‘Toronto’s my home now,’ he reminded himself with a shake of his head. Nothing could replace California.

The machine beeped, and Matt watched it dribble coffee into the mug with ease. It was a machine; it didn’t need to feel or worry or overthink. It was told what to do, and it did it without question. Rubbing his eyes, he clutched the countertop as he waited for the rest of the godly liquid to drip into his mug. Ellie had been very different last night. She wasn’t the same Ellie he had run into a few days before. Shit. Did she think he was into her? Matt dropped his hands onto the counter and sighed, biting the inside of his lip. He didn’t need a relationship with anyone right now, not so soon after Cass’ death.

A knock on his door startled him.

“Coming,” he called as he turned the machine off and checked himself out first, wanting to make sure he looked presentable to whoever was at the door. Dressed in what he fell asleep in; he shook his head and headed for the door. Cass would have told him to change ASAP. Checking the lock, Matt felt his stomach turn uncomfortably. He had left it unlocked. Opening it, he was surprised to see Collin there, with a tray of coffee. “Collin?” Matt asked, worried now. Was something wrong with Ellie? “Hey Matt. Mind if I come in?” Collin asked with a bright smile. Matt nodded, and stepped aside to let the older man in. Collin had only spoken to him once, but he felt very comfortable around him.

“What’s that for?” Matt asked curiously, pointing to the coffee once he had shut the door behind him. Collin turned to face him, shrugging with a small smile. “I get breakfast for Ellie and I every morning, thought I’d share the wealth.” Collin explained as he held a cup of coffee in his hand, and Matt shook his head slightly, making a gesture to the now quiet coffee machine. “I just made some…” But, the older man didn’t listen. He pushed the cup into Matt’s hand and took his own, taking a hesitant sip of it. “So what’s the plan today?” Collin asked as casually as if he had known Matt his entire life. The tattooed male shrugged, furrowing his brows as he put the coffee on the counter.

“I dunno. Waiting on a call back from Starbucks for training…” “Training? You got a job?” Collin asked. Matt nodded, rubbing his stubbly cheek. He needed a shave. “I should go grocery shopping too, but I don’t have much cash.” Collin made a sound then, put his coffee on counter and pulled his wallet out. “Collin, no. I can’t – ” Again, Collin didn’t listen and tossed forty dollars onto the counter. “That should cover some of it. I like doing nice things for people, Matt. Get used to it.” Collin said, yet the tone was almost challenging. Matt bit his lip, gave the man a smile and pocketed the cash. “Thanks.” Collin simply nodded, picked the extra coffee up, and headed for the door.

“I’m going to see Ellie, make sure she’s awake. I’ll let her know you’re going to get groceries so she can go with you.” Collin said as he opened the door and walked out, closing it behind him as well as closing any argument Matt may have put up. As the door closed, Matt huffed, smiled, and drank the rest of his coffee as he headed to the bathroom to start his day properly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“What do you mean I’m going out with Matt!” Ellie shrieked, clutching her coffee as Collin sat atop of her counter. “Matt is going grocery shopping, and I volunteered for you to go with him. Besides, you can show him Chinatown. He seems like the kinda guy who would appreciate some cheap food.” Collin was finished his coffee, and his eyes shone with a mischievous glint Ellie was beginning to get wary of. “I… I can’t, Collin. Crowds! I can’t handle the crowds,” The girl whimpered slightly, but Collin just watched her. “It shouldn’t be too bad today, it looks like it’s going to rain. They’ll be inside.” Ellie took a deep breath, and the older man knew she was counting to ten in her head.

He hopped down and air-pecked her cheek. “I’ve got to go see Marlene.” He gave Ellie a small smile before leaving her to think about what he had set her up with. Ellie felt really odd; excited to see Matt, but she was extremely anxious about leaving her apartment. She had a tub of ice cream and a whole season of Supernatural to catch up on! “Collin… what did you do?” Ellie groaned, burying her face in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
big delay. sorry.
uhm. not happy with this chapter.
ugh.
more coming soon.
x