Status: This is story that i already wrote, but ended up re writing to make more realistic.

Three Deep

Humble beginings

Life can be a mystery, especially when you’re young. There are so many things you don’t know and have yet to experience. The thing is, you have to know what to experience. This is something a lot of people learn the hard way, because not all experiences are good. One wrong choice and you may go through something that will change your life forever.

In the city San Tera, on a Saturday evening, two young kids were playing ball at a local park. They were goofing off, enjoying the empty basketball court. The one wearing black shorts and tank top was Sarrachi (Sa-ra-chi). He’s a nine-year-old dark skinned male with medium braids. Not tall for his age, Sarrachi was known for running off at the mouth.
His partner Tyrell (Tie-Rell) was wearing a large white shirt and black shoes. He has a dark fade with a rat-tail. Tyrell is nine-years-old, dark brown skin, and is a little taller than Sarrachi. Tyrell, unlike Sarrachi, didn’t talk as much.
Tyrell was dribbling his basketball back and forth between his legs. He stared at Sarrachi in a boastful manner. Switching styles, he spun around dribbling the ball in his right hand. Sarrachi leaned on the fence notably unimpressed.
“’Wow’, you can dribble between ya nuts,” Sarrachi teased. Tyrell stopped, threw the ball in the air, and caught it behind his back.
“Whatever.” He called back. “You just mad cause you can’t ball.” Tyrell backed to the three-point line, bounced the ball three times, and threw it in the air. The ball slipped through the chain net perfectly. “You lookin’ at the next Wilt Chamberlin.” he bragged. Sarrachi sucked his teeth and walked closer to his friend.
“Yea right,” He doubted. “That nigga got shoes bigger than you. Pass me the ball, Imma show you real skills.” Tyrell flung the ball to him with force. After Sarrachi caught it, he poorly dribbled to the goal post where he tossed the ball at the goal. Tyrell watched in amusement as the ball rolled around the rim before it fell off. He burst into laughter at his friend’s missed shot.
“I don’t know what you laughin’ for,” Sarrachi growled. “Basketball’s lame anyway.”
“Yea… if you can’t play,” Tyrell joked. He jogged to the ball and picked it up. While retrieving the ball, Tyrell couldn’t help but notice a large group of older guys come on the court. Dribbling back to Sarrachi, Tyrell went past the three-point line. He got ready to shoot and took his time aiming. He jumped in the air and released the ball. It was on a straight path for a clean shot, when one of the older guys leaped and smacked it away. Landing on his feet the guy stood tall with a menacing grin.
“Get yo weight up boy!” He shouted while he hit his chest. Tyrell looked offended and jogged to get the ball.
“What you do that for?” Tyrell questioned. “That was pure net.”
“So? … Diaper league’s over. Ya’ll gotta bounce,” the guy commanded. Sarrachi and Tyrell glanced at each other then the older guys.
“We been here first. We’ll split the court in half. This goal ours, and the other yours,” Tyrell stated.
“Split the court in half?” the guy repeated. “Naw lil nigga. How bout ya’ll go home and watch some Looney Toons.” The group broke into laughter at his joke. Sarrachi took his remarks to heart and felt insulted.
“Man, if I wanted to watch Looney Toons, I watch you play,” Sarrachi replied.
“OOOOhhhhhh!” a few teens in the background shouted.
“What? … So lil dude got jokes huh?” The guy exclaimed; he stepped in Sarrachi’s face. “I gotta joke for you.” The older guy scooped up Sarrachi with out a moments notice.
“Aye, put me down fool!” Sarrachi exclaimed. Ignoring him, the teen was walking closer and closer to a dumpster. Tyrell rushed to his friend’s aid, but was cut off by the other teenagers.
“Looks like you forgot one Ace!” One of the teens laughed. Picking up Tyrell, the group came behind their friend chuckling. Without a second thought Tyrell and Sarrachi were tossed into the dumpster. The group stood back watching the two kids sprout from under the trash. The heavy scowl on Sarrachi’s face showed how he felt.
“Ha haa… lata punk.” The guy smirked. He stole Tyrell’s basketball while walking away.
“I aint no punk…” Sarrachi hissed. The two crawled out of the dumpster and dusted themselves off. Tyrell turned to his partner with an unhappy guise.
“Dang man, why you had open yo mouth?” Tyrell whined, as he scrubbed the last bit of dirt from his hair. Sarrachi pretended to not hear what he said. The two took one last glance at the older boys playing ball, and slowly began to walk home.
“Damn man,” Sarrachi cursed. “I’m tired of gettin’ no respect.”
“Yea, two bad yo brother wasn’t here.” Tyrell agreed. “He woulda had them boys scared.”
“Yea… But I’m tired of hidin’ behind Kayron too.” Sarrachi confessed. He tapped Tyrell on the shoulder. “It’s time we made a name for ourselves.” Tyrell looked Sarrachi up and down strangely.
“How we gon do that?” He wondered.
“Easy, Same way Kayron and Rex (Tyrell’s brother) did.” Sarrachi replied. “We gon bang BJK.” Sarrachi was referring to joining the Black Joka street gang. Tyrell seemed on edge about the idea.
“Why?” He asked.
“Why not? At least we won’t be thrown in the trash…” Sarrachi persuaded. “We gon be the big dogs then. We be strapped and all.” Tyrell shrugged his shoulders, not really interested.
“Eh…” Tyrell thought. “I mean, it’d be cool and all. But my mom would kill me. Ever since Rex got locked, my ma be trippin’. She be like ‘Tyrell, don’t you be hangin’ round them thugs on the block,’” He said, mimicking his mother. Sarrachi chuckled at his impression.
“My moms too,” Sarrachi smiled. “But I don’t care bout that.”
“True.” Tyrell nodded. “I mean, I’ll think about it. I just aint trynna hear my ma’s mouth, ya feel me?”
“Yea I feel you,” Sarrachi said.
They continued up the street a little further, finally reaching their block. Tyrell made it to his house first, he dapped Sarrachi in their special handshake.
“You comin’ out tomorrow?” Tyrell asked.
“After church…” Sarrachi sighed.
“Word, I see you then,” Tyrell said.
“Ight man,” Sarrachi called back as he walked away. Tyrell came into his home stepping into the living area first. His home was not roomy at all; the living room was connected to the overly crowded kitchen. The house only had one bathroom and three small bedrooms. When you lived with your grandmother, mother, father, and two sisters, there wasn’t much excess space.
Tyrell’s mom was in the kitchen fixing dinner. He dashed in the kitchen in hopes his mom prepared something good. Unfortunately, she didn’t. Sitting on the plate in front of him was a ham sandwich: no cheese, no turkey, no mayo, just a slice of ham and two pieces of bread.
“Aww man, ma… I thought you was cookin’,” Tyrell whined.
“You thought wrong,” his seven year old sister Jasmine teased.
“Shut up!” Tyrell growled. His sister looked him up and down oddly.
“Eww, why you smell like that? … “Jasmine held her nose. “Mom, make him take a bath!” Tyrell stood up from his seat raising his fist.
“Say somethin’ else and see what happen,” He threatened.
“Somethin’ else” She smiled.
“Hey, hey, hey!” Their mother raised her voice over her children’s. “Both ya’ll cut it out, I got a headache and I am not in the mood for that.”
“Yes ma’m,” Tyrell and his sister said at the same time.
“Look baby, I’m sorry I didn’t cook, I’m just too tired,” His mom apologized. She sat their drinks on the table and went to lie on the couch.
Tyrell’s mom was a prime example of San Tera’s overworked and underpaid employees. Working as a waitress in one restaurant and a bartender at another, she put in an average of 10 hours a day, every day of the week. Yet even with her husband’s job they still struggled to finance a home with three kids, plus themselves. Since Tyrell’s oldest brother Tye is locked up on a burglary charge, they are able to save a little more money than before.
“Hey ma,” Tyrell said. His mom glanced at him to let him know he had her attention. “When’s dad comin’ home?”
“baby I don’t know, he had to work a double today. He probably won’t come back til late,” she informed. Tyrell seemed somewhat down about not being able to see his dad. So his mom sought to cheer him up. “Don’t worry hun, I’ll tell him to wake you when he get back.” A little perkier, a smile glazed his face.
“Aight ma, I got a lot to tell him,” Tyrell responded.
“I sure you do baby…” she smiled.