Status: Writing

My Best Friend's Ex-Boyfriend

13

I looked at Zach, he was already looking at me, waiting for me to make up some excuse.

“Eh, we both had the same homework for Mathematics and he got my number at school for help when we both worked on it, uh, afterschool…?” The worst excuse I’ve ever made, considering the fact we are neighbours.

“You two live next to each other though?”

“I know, but I thought having her over would anger you…?” Zach cut in, adding more to the flame.

“Oh… No, it’s fine. You two can talk and stuff,” she did a fake laugh, as always, “I don’t mind if you two are like, homework buddies or something.”

“Ah…” I scratched my forehead, “Thanks for telling us, we didn’t know if you would’ve appreciated it or not, so we just helped each other by phone.”

We all awkwardly smiled and had a moment of silence.

“Do you two want a drink?” Zachary asked.

“I’m fine.” I smiled.

“I would, babe. I’m in need of one!” She walked off with Zach inside.

I sat back down on the chair and rested my chin on my left knee. I swear people exaggerate on teenage parties, especially the movies. I wasn’t really a party person anyway, but I go for Christa. I decided to have fun and go inside into the lounge room and start dancing my ass away. Not only Avicii could make me rave, but Afrojack and Steve Aoki could make me wild.

I got tired after dancing for like 45 minutes, god knows where I got that energy from. Some of the couches were empty, so I melted all over one of the loveseats. I heard a girl screaming words that did not go with the current song playing; I jumped up onto the loveseat and saw Christa leaping and shouting everywhere, her hair was a mess and she had spilt drinks onto herself – drunken Christa.

I heaved through the crowd of teenagers to the other side of the room and grabbed Christa around her waist as a surprise.

“Da fuck are you doing, ya faggot?” It’s been awhile since I’ve heard her drunken babble.

“You are gone, man. You’re off the rails!”

“I don’t give a, two shit fucks, babe,” she kept stepping everywhere, “where is my hubby bubby tubby lubby?”

I looked around for Zachary, he was outside, so I wrapped Christa’s arm around the back of my neck and helped her walk outside. Zach came running over to us.

“Is she alright?” He moved the hair away from her eyes, “She was tipsy last time I was with her.”

“She’s off her head; I think we should go home.”

“Actually, bring her up in my room and I’ll get her towels and water.”

I nodded, and brought her upstairs into Zachary’s room. I placed her body into recovery position, in case if she vomits. Zachary came inside with towels and water; he placed a towel underneath her head and made her drink some water. After 5 minutes of taking care of her, she soon fell asleep.

“That was quick for drunken Christa.”

“What do you mean?” Zach laughed quietly.

“When she’s drunk, she’s usually a wild child, and it’s so hard for her to chill down and go to sleep like that.”

“Well, I’ve never really seen her drunk like that before.”

We both smiled. Zachary and I chatted for a solid 15 minutes about each other’s lives and back stories. I know what you’re going to say, don’t you hate him? Yes, I did, but he’s actually an alright guy to talk too.

“Anyway, did you want to go back to the party?” He asked.

“I would, but I think I should take care of her, in case if she vomits or something.”

“Good idea. Come down if you need anything.”

We stared at each other a little, and then he exited. That was weird.