Status: Writing

My Best Friend's Ex-Boyfriend

16

I sat in silence and played with my hair. I didn’t know what to do; I don’t want Christa and I fighting, especially over a boy, even though it is her boyfriend. I felt like the worst best friend ever. Even knowing if she did what I did to her, I would expect her to tell me straight away. Zachary started washing up and I watched him clean every plate and utensil, there was something about him I couldn’t quite put into words. I held my face in my hands, why did I have to put myself in this mess? I can’t handle it.

“Anna,” Zachary turned off the tap, “Everything will be OK, I promise.”

“But… You’re breaking up with her? How is that OK? She’s going to run to me for a shoulder to cry on, pour her heart out to me about you, and I just have to sit there, take it in, pretending I know how she feels while I’m keeping in the secret that I kissed you when you two were together? You try doing that.” I felt tears building up.

“Hey, hey! I know it’s going to be hard, but things are just too much at the moment and I need a breather. Please, just be there for her.”
“Fine, I will.” Zachary came over and gave me a tight hug.

I went home without Christa because Zachary wanted to spend his last afternoon with her before he broke it off with her, plus Mum should be coming home about now. I finished off cooking some pasta and bread rolls to welcome Mum home with. I cleaned up all the rooms, since I’ve made a mess of myself which usually happens when I’m home alone. I’m so happy Mum is coming home, because she is like a best friend and I really need some advice right now about the whole Zachary situation.

“Anna?”

“Mum!” I ran to the front door and gave her the biggest hug.

“Aw, my baby!”

To what I think it was, we hugged for about ten minutes until we got her stuff inside and started eating. She told me all the stories for the time she was gone, and then we decided to eat chocolate cake in front of the television.

“Ma, I really need advice…”

“I’m here now,” She lowered the television volume, “Go for it.”

I explained everything. Everything I kept bottled up inside, I let it all our right there. All I really needed was a tight and long hug from my mother. I was crying my eyes out in her arms while she held me tight. After a good hour of crying and having a chocolate therapy session with Mum, I went into my room and melted on my bed; I was still wearing the clothes from the party but I did not give one fuck. I laid there, curled into a ball.

I kissed my best friend’s boyfriend and I’m proud of it.