Status: Writing

My Best Friend's Ex-Boyfriend

18

After an hour of trying to get my act together and trying to be the greatest best friend I can possibly be, I packed one of my shoulder bags and decided to sleepover Christa’s tonight. I searched through my DVD cabinet for the biggest chick flicks I knew of, you know, Mean Girls, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and such. I changed into a floral playsuit and tied my hair up into a messy bun, applied some eyeliner to my eyelids and went downstairs.

“Mum, I’m going to sleepover Christa’s tonight.”

“Alright,” She sipped at her coffee mug, “why can’t she make it here?”

“Well, her and Zachary have broken up, and he happens to live next-door… so I don’t really want to do that to her.”

“He lives next-door?” Mum raised an eyebrow.

I nodded my head, standing in the awkward atmosphere. God, I needed to get out of here.

I gave Mum a kiss on the cheek and went out the door. As much as I didn’t want to walk past Zachary’s house, I had too since the train stop was that way. I swear everyone at my school knows how much bad luck I had in my hands because Zachary had to be going out his front door while I walked past. I held my head low and quickened my pace, praying that he wouldn’t notice it was me.

“Anna!”

I cursed under my breathe, “Ah, hey!”

“Where are you off?”

“Um,” I suck at excuses, “My grandparents’ house.”

“I’m going to Leichardt, meeting Mum for grocery shopping since she won’t buy what I want without me being there.”

Are you kidding me? Christa lives in Leichardt.

“Oh… My grandparents are in Leichardt as well.”

Suddenly, my phone started buzzing in my pocket. The name said ‘Christa,’ the timing today could not be worse than this. I pressed decline, but then she called again another three times.

“Someone’s popular, who keeps calling you?”

“My grandmother’s phone is kinda… stuffed; it’ll keep calling the last caller several times. It’s annoying.”

We walked to the train stop together and waited for a while. There were other teenagers I realised from school who glanced over at us when we arrived. One of the girls gave me a weird look and I realised that she was a friend of Christa’s. Fuck.

“Just wait,” I walked off and called Christa, the phone only rang once.

“Dude, why have you been ignoring my calls? I’m waiting for you to arrive!”

“I’m sorry, I just got held up.” I looked over at the girl and she quickly texted someone, when she locked her phone, Christa’s phone buzzed.

“Just a second,” She was quiet for a couple of seconds, “Um… why are you at the train stop with Zachary?”

“I was waiting for my train and he came along, started chatting with me and shit… He’s so annoying.”

“Hm,” Another couple of seconds of silence and awkwardness, “I’ll see you soon then.”

Beep, beep, beep.

The train arrived and Zachary followed and sat down right beside me. As much as I was annoyed at him, I liked how we were together. I really shouldn’t though, this is so bad… but I can’t help it. I could see him from the corner of my eye. He had his right earphone in, he slid his hand through his hair, and I noticed the slight stubble that he had grown on his chin, his hands strumming away on his knees to the beat of his music. God, this can’t be real.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really sure if anyone reads this anymore, but I randomly wrote a new chapter.