On the Edge

Clock Runs Out

Brent’s POV:

“We talked to Karli, Brent, and there’s not much of a chance of you two getting back together.” This is how Cameron wakes me up. I finally fell asleep and he just ruined it.

“Why do you say that, Cameron?”

“She doesn’t want you to see her in this condition. She’s afraid she’s dying and she won’t let go of the fact that she’s fine.”

“And she passed out right before we left.” Dillon tells me. I jump off the couch.

“Is she okay? Did you guys think to check on her?” I have to go find her.

“Her friends were with her. They told us to leave and we don’t know what’s happening now.” Zach says. I look at Michael but he won’t budge.

“Sorry, we don’t know how she’s doing now.” He says.

“This is horrible. I want to move on but I’m worried about her.”

“I know it stinks, but you’re better off moving on. If you really love her you’ll respect her wishes.” Cameron tells me and I know he’s right.

“Fine, I’ll try to forget about her, but I can't make any promises.

“Well, I have to go meet some guy about recording, so I’ll see you later. Brent, you can call if you need something.” Zach says and I nod.

“Thanks.” I say and he leaves.

“Yeah, I have to go, too.” Michael says and walks out.

“I guess I’ll see you guys later.” Dillon says and leaves.

“Cameron, what if I can’t move on from Karli? I really love her.” Cameron looks at me.

“You just have to. I get not wanting to, but it’s definitely for the best if you do. Honestly, Brent, what if she does die? Do you want to see her for those last days, weeks, months?” He asks and I think about it.

“If it means I get to be with her, then yes.”

“Then you need to tell her that.” I grab my keys and drive to her house. I don’t see anyone there, but I do see her parents.

“Hey, you’re the guy that was here before. Where’s Karli?” Her dad asks me.

“What do you mean where’s Karli? Is she not here?” I ask them.

“No, she isn’t.”

“This isn’t good at all!” I start to head for the hospital when I see Dawn and the other girls drive up.

“Mr. and Mrs. Levi, Karli’s at the hospital and she would like to see you.” They run for their car and leave. Emily looks at me sympathetically and starts to head back for the car.

“Wait, Em, how is she?”

“Oh, Brent.” She says and heads back. I follow them.

“Dawn! Tell me how Karli is.” I block the door so they can’t get in.

“She’s getting worse, Brent. She passed out for a few hours. They’re starting her chemo tomorrow and they said it could be a while.” My heart sinks.

“Is she going to be okay?” I ask.

“At this point, none of us think she’s going to make it. Even the doctors are losing hope in her.” Emily says and I fall. They walk on in.

“I’m really sorry, Brent.” Kristle squeezes my shoulder as she goes in.

*********************************