On the Edge

Together Again

Karli’s POV:

“Karli! What in the world is going on here?” My mom asks as she and dad run in.

“I have cancer and I start treatment tomorrow. No one knows if I’m going to live or not.” I say and I start crying. “Mommy, I need you.”

“Oh, baby, we’re here now.” She and dad run over. Mom pulls me close to her and I cry.

“Catch us up on what we’ve missed.” My dad says trying to change the subject.

“Well, after I graduated, Jared got way too possessive so I broke up with him. I went to college and met Paul, but he never left me alone so I broke up with him.” My mom laughs.

“You are my daughter.”

“Why are you being parents now?” I ask them. “You left me and never kept contact, not that you were connected when you were here.”

“While we were gone we realized we just couldn’t be away. Traveling was fun, but being with you was always the real joy in my life.” My mom confesses.

“Watching you grow up is what made us happy.” My dad takes her hand. My heart breaks and I think of Brent.

“Karli, are you alright?” My mom asks me.

“No, I’m thinking of my most recent ex, Brent. He was the best guy I ever had and I broke up with him when I needed him most.”

“Was he not there for you?” Dad asks.

“The thing is, I don’t think he ever would have left me until I pushed him away from me. I was so stupid and now it’s too late.”

“Karli, it’s never too late. You can’t push me away no matter how hard you may try.” I look up and see Brent in the door with my friends. I open my arms and he walks over to me. “I love you, Karli Levi.”

“I love you, too, Brent.” I say and he kisses me. “I still don’t want you to see me like this. It’s not fair to either of this.”

“It’s a rough patch in your life but we’ll make it through. I want to be with you through everything.” I tear up.

“Oh, Brent, I want you with me through everything. Never leave my side, okay?” I ask him and he nods. He starts crying, too, a little.

“I won’t leave you.”

“Young love, oh how I miss that.” My mom says. “I’m glad you’re happy with each other.”

“So am I. I approve of this boy, Kar.” Dad says and I look at Brent.

“We haven’t been together that long. If I remember correctly, today’s our three month.” I say and he smiles.

“I had the best plans, but they can wait until you’re better.” Brent says and I can only imagine.

“Be serious a minute, what if I don’t get better?” I ask him, wanting to know his answer.

“No, we aren’t thinking that way. You will get better. You’ll start treatment tomorrow, be weak for a while, then be perfectly fine after that.” He says and I give up.

“Okay, I’ll believe you this time.”

**********************************