On the Edge

Have a Little Faith

Brent’s POV:

I sit with her for a few minutes later, but all the girls run in.

“Karli, how are you? Oh, you’re back with Brent.” Dawn smiles when she sees me holding Karli’s hand.

“Yes, Dawn, we are back together.” I kiss Karli.

“Please, save it for later. She doesn’t need this much excitement right now.” Kristle says and we all look at her. “We’re starting our cancer unit. She needs to be calm and get rest.”

“She’s probably right.” Karli says and I look at her.

“Do you want me to go?” I ask and start to get up.

“No, I don’t want anyone to go. I finally have my boyfriend, my best friends, and my parents all together. I have an almost perfect life.”

“Honey, do you need us to pay for these bills?” Her dad pulls out his check book.

“No, I got a job when you left so I can support myself. I blew a lot on college, but I’m still stable. Will you guys want the house back?” She asks them.

“No, we can find a new place. If you and Brent stay together you’ll need a place to stay.” I smile and squeeze Karli’s hand. “Wait, if you have a job, what did you do with the money we sent you?” Her mom asks.

“I used it for bills and saved the money from my job. I used it for food, clothes, my college bills, that kind of stuff.”

“You are such a smart child. I guess we somehow did something right.” She smiles.

“We helped.” Dawn says and she’s still crying. “Please tell me this isn’t the last time we’ll be together.”

“Please stop talking like that!” I yell and they all look at me. “Yeah, I’m still here. My girlfriend is not going to die. She’ll be perfectly fine and we’ll have this moment again, but with my friends here and not in a hospital.”

“Can we please just believe Brent for a second?” Karli asks. “I start my only chance at living tomorrow and I want to believe it’ll end well.” She looks at me.

“Okay, we’ll believe Brent.” Her mom says and smiles at me.

“Thank you.” Karli and I say at the same time. I look in her eyes and go to kiss her again.

“We’re going now.” Michelle says and the four of them leave.

“We’ll be back later.” Her parents leave. I kiss Karli.

“Brent, thank you for having a little faith in this. I need it right now.”

“I know you do, Kar, that’s why I’m not going to leave you.” I pull her close to me and she starts to fall asleep.

“I am willingly going to sleep now, I’m not passing out on you.” She puts her head on my shoulder and we both laugh a little.

“Okay, thank you for telling me.” She closes her eyes and is asleep soon after. “Goodbye, Kar, I’ll be back as soon as I can.” I walk out and see her parents and friends at a table.

“How is she?” Emily jumps up when she sees me.

“She just fell asleep.” I tell them.

“I hope she’s okay.” Dawn says.

“So do I.” I tell them. She has to be fine.

*********************************