On the Edge

What's Normal?

Brent’s POV:

“How is the patient?” I ask and she laughs. She definitely has more energy back and I hope it stays this way.

“Brent, I’ve been feeling better for a week.” She says.

“And last week you were still half dead.” She glares at me. “Okay, too soon, I can respect that.”

“I think it will always be too soon.”

“We’ll see later.” I kiss her. “Don’t you get tests done tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I do. Tomorrow we find out if I still have this terrible disease or not.” She bites her lip and won’t look me in the eyes.

“I am willing to bet that you don’t have it anymore.” I tell her.

“Okay, if I’m cancer free then what do you get?” She asks.

“When you’re feeling completely better and your doctor says it’s okay, go to Times Square with me.” She smiles.

“Okay, I’ll agree to that. And if I still have it you….” She thinks for a minute. “You have to wear a dress every time you visit me.”

“No way!” I say. “My deal is nowhere near that!” I yell and she laughs.

“You have to shake on it, babe.” I shake her hand and my head.

“I really hope you’re better, for more than one reason now.” I say and she kisses me.

“I love you, Brent.” She is an evil girl and I love her so much. We’ve been together a little over 8 months and I want to propose to her.

“You are one crazy girl.” She looks at me thinking of how to respond to that. She sticks her tongue out at me and starts running.

“Catch me if you can!” She yells then falls over and starts coughing.

“Kar! Are you okay?” I ask and she holds up a finger.

“I’m fine. Can’t breathe.” I grab her inhaler. “Okay, I’m better now.” She says a few minutes later.

“Maybe you should go rest a while.” I suggest and she shakes her head.

“I will not act like I’m sick. I’m going to pretend I’m perfectly fine.”

“But we don’t know if you are!” I yell and she spins around to face me.

“Weren’t you the one begging to believe I was fine? As much as I want to see you in a dress for 5 months, I don’t want to be sick and dying!” She yells at me.

“You may not have cancer anymore, Kar, but you are still sick!”

“Shut up! I want to have normal for once in my life!” She shoves her finger in my chest.

“What was I, Karli?” I ask her.

“You were normal but my life wasn’t normal!” She yells back. I can’t believe we’re fighting over this right now.

“Okay, I’m sorry. You aren’t sick and everything is normal.” She puts her hand down .

“No, I’m sorry, I’m overreacting. It’s a stupid side effect.” I hug her.

“It’s okay, I can handle it. I told you I will never leave you.” She smiles at me.

“So you’ll be back tomorrow to take me to my appointment?” She asks.

“Absolutely. I’ll be here at 10 to get you.”

*****************************