On the Edge

Unwanted Help

Brent’s POV:

I close the door quietly hoping I don’t wake Cameron.

“Where have you been all night?” I jump.

“God, Cameron, you scared me!” I yell and he doubles over laughing.

“So, how was your night?” He asks and I smile.

“Karli is perfect! I really like her. We like all the same things.”

“Brent, you’re blushing right now.” I feel the heat in my cheeks.

“That would be because I kissed her. I dropped her off, watched her go in then sat outside feeling like an idiot. So I ran back up and she met me outside and I kissed her.”

“Nice going! Did she kiss you back?” I laugh.

“Yeah, she did.”

“That’s even better. I guess you better call her and set up another date pretty soon. Girls are really superstitious about that. If you wait too long you automatically hate them.”

“How long do I have?” I’ve never heard that.

“You honestly expect me to know?”

“Then I have one choice left.”

“No, Brent, that’s desperate.” He says jokingly serious.

“Yeah, but I’m desperate.” I get out my phone and call.

“Hey, big bro, why are you calling me now?”

“Brittany, I need help. I just got back from my date. How long do I have to call her before she thinks I hate her?”

“If you don’t call her by Wednesday then you’re screwed. Tomorrow, today, whatever, makes you look too desperate. Wednesday makes you look like you don’t care. I would go with calling her on Tuesday, but don’t ask her out immediately. Talk to her a bit.”

“Sometimes it’s nice to have a sister.”

“Brent, it’s always nice to have me as your sister.” She says and I know she’s adding this to her long list of victories.

“Don’t expect it to happen a lot.” I tell her.

“It will if she becomes your girlfriend. Admit it, you’ll need my help.” She says.

“I’ll need your help.” I say with disgust and she just laughs.

“That’s what I thought.” She hangs up and I look at Cameron.

“Why did you let me do that?” I ask him.

“You need her help.” He's about to die from the laughter.

“Shut up.” I say but I’m laughing, too.

“It sounds like Karli’s going to be really special.” Cameron follows me to the kitchen.

“I really hope she is. If she can keep her fainting under control she is perfect.”

“What’s up with that? It was so creepy to just see her passed out.”

“Yes, because that’s who you were looking at.” I tease him. “Honestly, I don’t know why she does that. She blames it on lack of food but I don’t know.”

“I wouldn’t worry too much right now.” Cameron tells me.

“I guess not, I just don’t want her to get hurt in that house of hers. Dude, she lives in a freaking mansion! It’s got a pool and everything!” I say.

“So she’s loaded?”

“Her parents were before they left her. They left when she was 18 and haven’t been back since. How could someone do that to their child?” I ask him.

“It happens. Not everyone can have amazing parents.”

“Yeah, guess not. At least she has friends to keep her company. And me.”

*******************************