Blue and Yellow

Chapter 14

---Bert's P.O.V.---

"Hey Krissy is Eli here? I had work to do and am now hella late. She's going to kill me," I said as I approached the girl behind the cafe counter I had come to call a friend.

Not only that but she treated me like Eli did. Normal. And she was totally crushing on Quinn, which was super cute. And that was to be expected, Quinn was hella hot. But not as hot as Eli.

"Uhhh, she was here for forever and finally left," Krissy said as she wiped down the counter top.

"Crap. Do you think she went back home?" I asked, not sure how much Krissy knew about Eli and where she lived.

"Nah. She went off with some big guy," Krissy said as she stopped her cleaning.

"A guy? She doesn't know anyone else but us here. Why would she go off with some guy she didn't know?" I asked.

"Well the guy had come in here earlier before she got here, asking for her. By name. So I'm guessing he knew her at least. And she seemed to know him the way they left together, though she didn't seem to want to stand to close to him," Krissy said as she dropped her cleaning rag back in the sink.

I felt my stomach twist in a knot and then drop out the bottom of me and hit the floor. This didn't sound good. Eli never mentioned knowing anyone else but us. Well she never really mentioned much. But this didn't seem right, especially the part about this guy asking for my girl by name. Well not my girl really. Not yet at least.

"Did he leave his name by chance?" I asked, going out on a limb here.

"Yeah he said his name was Devin," Krissy said as she cleaned out the cappachino machine.

"Oh god," I said as I felt my blood run cold.

I had heard that name before. But only sort of. Eli had screamed it and muttered it repeatedly the night she had her panic attack after the hospital. She had said the name Devin over and over again. Crying. This wasn't good.

"Krissy I have an idea. I'll keep you posted. Call the guys will ya and tell them I won't be back till later," I called as I ran out the cafe.

"Sure," I heard Krissy yell as I burst out the doors.

I knew something was wrong.

I got into my car and started the engine and then stopped. I had no idea where to look, no idea where to look first or even start. I was starting to freak out. I had to calm down. I had to think. I had to think.

"Think god damnit," I yelled at myself in the car as I hit the horn really hard.

A few people outside the car jumped at my sudden yell and loud horn honk but I didn't pay attention to them.

"She said that she lived near that park before she lived in the Haven, the park where I had seen her that first night. She looked like she was going to sleep there for the night so it had to have been in walking distance. So that narrows it down to a whole shit ton of places," I said and slammed my head on the steering wheel.

"Fuck," I swore loudly as I banged my head once again.

I was getting no where and I had the feeling I was running out of time.

"All right, all right. Think. She never mentioned an actual house so that's over ruled. I think she had mentioned an apartment at one point. A blue one. But that's it though," I said out loud to myself as I turned the car on once again.

"But it will have to do," I said as I looked over my shoulder and peeled out of the parking lot of the cafe.

-xXx-

After checking every blue apartment building for Devin's name on about three different streets, all within a twenty minute walking distance from the park I began to feel hopeless. I lit another cigarette as I got back into my car after another bogus apartment building. I speed inhaled as I turned onto the next street over and drove down it. And stopped in front of yet another blue apartment building.

Getting out I dropped my cigarette and stepped on it, grinding it into the pavement before walking up to the front porch of the building. Looking down the names posted outside next to doorbells I finally came across the name I had been looking for, hoping to find. Devin Churchwood. I decided against knocking and tapped on the lit window right off the porch. And elderly gentleman came to the window and lifted it.

"Hi, I'm here to see my friend Devin, but his buzzer is broken and I don't have my cell phone to call up and we're suppose to go out tonight. Do you think you could let me in so I could run up right quick?" I asked, hoping that apartment seven really was on the second floor.

"I'll be there in a second," the old man said as he closed his window and walked away.

I almost felt like cheering but didn't seeing as I saw the face of the old man appear behind the glass and open the main apartment buildings door.

"Thank you sir," I said kindly before walking off towards the stairs that led upstairs.

As soon as I was out of sight I started running, well my equivalent of running at least. I found apartment door number seven and knocked. I paused and listened. There was no answer, so I knocked again. Still no answer. Now I was beginning to get desperate. I went to knock once again only this time harder. As my fist came down on the door the momentum pushed the door open a little. It was unlocked. But not only was it unlocked, it was open.

Wrapping my hand around the doorknob I pushed the door open, it was dark inside. Walking in I slid my hand up and down the wall next to the door hoping for a hallway light at least so I could see anything. As I flipped the light on I gasped out loud and almost fell to my knees.

"Oh god, oh god, oh god. Eli, honey. Eli!" I said loudly as I ran to her body that was laying out on the carpet at a bad angle.

"Oh god wake up sweetheart. Come on, you can do it. Fight just once more, please babe. Come on Eli. Damnit," I swore as I couldn't get her to wake.

I was shaking too much to be able to find a pulse, and the blood I saw was making it worse. Quickly I took out my cellphone and dialed 911.

"Hello? 911? I need an ambulance IMMEDIATELY. Yes, I am at....."
♠ ♠ ♠
Uhh...... yikes?