Blue and Yellow

Chapter 2

I sat on a bench and stuck my duffle bag beside me, thankfully in Orem Utah you didn't really have to worry about being harassed too badly in the parks, even at this time. There were a lot of bums sleeping on the benches sure, but they just wanted to be left alone, they just wanted to sleep through the night. Sighing I began peeling my hoodie off slowly, wincing as I pulled the fabric over my now swelling wrist.

"Fuck," I muttered when I saw what shape it was in.

It was red, and slightly purple, and swelling up like a balloon.

"I definitely broke it, or fractured it," I thought to myself as I assessed the damage.

Gingerly I tested for the worst parts, wincing as I found them with my shaky fingers. Wondering what the hell to do I opened up my duffle bag and searched through it for something useful. Finding a pair of tights, a pair of tall socks, my army knife and my notebook I set to work.

Holding my wrist close to my chest I cut pieces off the back of my notebook, the cardboard part. Splints made I went to my tights. I cut a length off from the toe up that would cover my arm and then cut a hole for my thumb and then my other fingers and then placed it beside me before doing it again. I cut the rest of tights in strips and my tall socks as well, hoping for the best.

I gritted my teeth for the next part but got on with it. I slid a little cuff of sock over my wrist first for a little padding against the cardboard splints. I stuck one of the little arm cuffs I had made from my tights over next, so it would hold the sock cuff in place. Next was the hard part. I put a splint on either side of my wrist and put the second arm cuff from the tights over that. Those slightly in place I went about wrapping my arm in the bandages, making sure to make it tight, but not too tight. Thank god I paid attention in school. Using my teeth I tied off my knots and took a look at my work.

"Not bad," I muttered as I examined my handy work.

That done I lifted my fingers up to my face and touched it tenderly. I had a cut over my eyebrow over the eye that was pretty much swollen shut now, and there was crusted blood there and under my nose. Spitting onto my remaining sock pieces I cleaned up my face as best I could before throwing the little pieces of bloodied sock over my shoulder into the park. I was in too much pain to really care. Then I put my hoodie back on and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my purse and sat back and lit it, letting my mind go blank as I inhaled the nicotine.

I hunched forward a bit, placing both my elbows on my knees, bad wrist held to my chest and the other holding my cigarette. I hung my head a bit, taking slow drags here and there till I heard approaching voices. I didnt bother looking up, but I scooted closer to my duffle bag just in case and twisted my leg through the dangling carry loop. As the voices got closer I listened closer. I wasn't sure if it was because I was nervous, or paranoid, or if it was just because they sounded like they were having a genuine nice time and I sorely missed that.

They were three males, and they seemed to making fun of one of their friends who wasn't with them at the moment. I had to smile, I liked guys more than girls for the most part. Except for when it came to having relationships with them. Remembering Devin and all my past boyfriends caused me to scowl at the thought of the three guys approaching me quickly. Even though all I really wanted to do was laugh and smile like they were.

As they neared I swore I recognized one of the voices, but didn't know from where. It sounded so familiar, like I should know it like I know my own. As they got right to me I looked up.

Two of the three guys didn't notice me sitting there hidden slightly in the shadows but the shorter of the two did. He turned as he was speaking and stared directly into my eyes. His were a hazel color, and even in this light I could tell they were bright. He looked directly into my bright gray eyes and furrowed his eyebrows a little as if trying to figure out if he knew me. But I knew he didn't. I didn't know anyone here. No one. When I returned the stare only colder he turned back to his conversation and I dropped my eyes. It was his voice that sounded familiar and not only that but he looked familiar too. But that was impossible. But I didn't care anyway.

As the three guys left I let took one last drag of my cigarette before flicking it across the park path. I decided that now was a good a time as any to sleep, especially since my body was telling me to pass out or else. Plumping my duffle bag into a comfy shape I wrapped my arm through the handle and shoved my purse under my shirt and my hoodie and put both arms across it. It might be fairly safe in Orem, but I still was pre cautious.

-xXx-

When I awoke thing first thing I did was stretch. And then wince from the pain shooting up my arm. Cringing I brought it back to my chest as I went about assessing myself this morning. My mouth was a little cottony, I knew my breath stank, my face was beyond sore, but as I touched it softly I could tell that most of the horrible swelling had gone down. I took out my little tiny travel mirror and looked at myself, since I could see a little out of the eye I couldnt beforehand. My face was a mess still, and purpled all over. I looked like what I was, a victim of abuse.

"More like a monster," I sighed at my reflection.

Shoving my mirror back into my back I headed off towards where I believed there to be a safe shelter.

It took me about an hour and a half to get there, it was a long walk and I tried avoiding people as much as possible because of what I looked like. That and my bag felt like it kept getting heavier and I only had one good hand to hold it. Add that to my over all feeling of general pain and it was a wonder it didn't take me all day to get there. Once outside the pale blue painted building I sighed in relief. I could stay here now till I heard news on Devin. I was still a little scared that I had killed him but I didn't think I was that lucky. I made my way to the front desk where there was a kind looking lady sitting behind it.

"Hi," I said flatly.

"Hello, good... oh my. Um good day, what can I do for you," the nice looking lady said, stumbling a bit when she saw my appearance.

This had been why I took the long way to avoid people. The stares.

"I'd like to know if I could stay here. For a while at least," I said, not meekly or anything, but strongly.

Or as strong as I could sound with as much pain as I was still in. But on the inside I was still silently repeating my mantra of this time I'm not going to let myself die and it made me feel strong.

"Of course darling. Would like to have a room to yourself. It wouldn't be much, a small bed, with pillows and blankets, a little dresser and mirror, a chair. That is until you decide if you want to leave or stay here longer," the lady said, a caring look on her face.

"That would be perfect. How much do I," I started to ask.

"Oh no you dont have to pay us for the room. Is this your first time in a safe Haven dear?" the lady asked.

I nodded my head yes.

"Well let me get your information and then I'll take you to your room. Name?" she asked kindly.

"Elise Krane," I said as I placed my bag down, making sure as not to show her my arm was damaged, I didn't want any more attention or questioning looks.

"Age?" she asked.

"Twenty four," I answered wondering what the questions were for.

"All right that will do," she said as she finished typing and stood up and came around the outside of the desk.

"If you'll follow me I'll show you to your room," she said kindly.

As her back turned to face a hallway I bent to pick up my bag and grimaced, but had planned it so she wouldn't see. I followed her down the hallways, remembering the turns. It was nice here at least, clean. I almost ran into her when she stopped outside what would be my door.

"Here we are, room 37, and here's your key," she said kindly as she handed me a key.

I got a key? I could lock my room? I was amazed this place seemed like heaven already. I took the key from her and opened the room. It was nice, it was sparse, but it was all I needed. Then I turned to face the lady.

"Thank you. Really," I said kindly.

"No problem. Oh and a few things. There is a curfew of sorts for safety reasons only, the outside doors close at ten every night, even the weekends. Though the common rooms stay open later. We don't allow over night visitors generally. And we ask that you watch who you bring back because there are quite a lot of children here. We have a food pantry that is accessible at any time and is free for you to take from, and it's always stocked with donations. We also serve three meals a day here. Breakfast from six to nine, lunch from eleven to two, and dinner from five to eight. We also supply you with clothes and any other supplies you might need. We also have a small selection of books thats free for you to look at, or we could set you up with a library card if you wanted," she said kindly.

Not once did i feel like she was talking down to me, accusing me of anything other than needing a place to stay for the moment. And I was relieved.

"That's amazing thank you," I answered.

"All right then, I'll let you get to unpacking," she said as she turned to leave.

"What's your name?" I asked all of a sudden, wanting to know another person's name besides my own, especially one who had been so nice.

"My name's Joyce dear," she replied kindly once again.

"Nice to meet you Joyce," I said with a small smile as she waved and then made her way down the hallway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a filler chapter in the last part there.
But groundings had to be set for the story.
By the way this is only 17 chapters long.
Advanced warning.